I saw this article on Facebook....

How many flaws and contradictions can you find in this article?? The over/under is 8.... go! I would especially be interested in the female coaching/playing demographic and coaches at the D2 and D3 level since this article states that only D1 male soccer players deserve the benefits that they propose this new schedule would provide. Is this even possible with Title IX? If this calendar is so good, why not put the women's season on this schedule as well? What would this expanded game schedule do to travel budgets?

Also, I do not want to hear anything from MLS until they get in line with the rest of the world on the international calendar! MLS does not want to do that because they get a ratings spike in the summer when EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc are all on break.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with having the Men's College Cup (sorry ladies, the proposal excludes you) in the fall just like MLS has their finals in the fall....... this article promotes moving the college soccer season to a August-May calendar so players can better compete in a league whose calendar runs March-November?!? MLS teams also play Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League Matches. Elite MLS and European teams are playing close to 70 matches per year.... 70 matches / 9 months= 7.75 matches per month... or approximately what every high school, club and college player already plays.

This year the NCAA decided to put the men's College Cup in Kansas City (a known cold weather city with unpredictable weather in the winter) and put it in an MLS stadium designed for 30,000+!! Even if you take one of the highest tickets sales (42,000 tickets for three games in 1995), you have no reason to put that game in anything more than a 15,000-20,000 seat stadium because it will look empty on television... just like early MLS did when they were drawing 20,000 in NFL stadiums designed for 80,000+! I believe i heard the announced attendance at 63 people for the finals.

Put the men's College Cup in a known warm(er) climate with more known stable weather and in a better setting to display that game (like Blackbaud Stadium, UNC-Charlotte, Riggs Field, SAS Park) and you would have had a much better television worthy event this year.... people watching on television need to see the event and think "look at all those people there. this must be good so we need to go".... 20,000 people in a 80,000 seat stadium looks empty.... 20,000 in a 30,000 seat stadium looks sold out!! I have been at games at Blackbaud with temporary bleachers to accommodate 7,000+ fans for a game. That may not be enough to generate significant income in the first few years, but it would make it a more exclusive ticket and thus generate some buzz around the event! There... i gave you three contradictions so you only need to find 5 more!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/socc...1&tid=ss_fb

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School