79' E. Arellano (J. Cheeks)
80' J. Sandoval (L. Andrade)

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Anthony Pelton
3/10 @ Prosperity

Mid Carolina 15 Keenen 2
HT 9-0

And the backlash will begin early this year. Let's see how long before someone posts "this score was unsportsmanlike"

S
Brace
Brace
S
Well is it? Nothing wrong with working on some possession. Maybe I'm just soft. I usually call the dogs off at 6 (although that's a rarity for me to have a lead like that). I don't see the need to demoralize teams, but to each his own.

Brace
Brace
The question is what is more demoralizing?

- Scoring a goal, allowing the other team to kick off and then playing low pressure allowing the other team to possess in their own half... or
- Dribbling into the 6 yard box with an open shot and then dribbling around 3-4 players and passing out and all the way back to the GKer with everyone shouting "we can only score on headers now!"

As a coach who has been on the losing end of a 19-0, 17-0 and 15-0 loss and an 0-24 season, give me the first option every time! Maybe you go to 10 players or 9 or 8... maybe you play low pressure so we can knock that ball around in our half and your team can work on sliding to play passing lanes... maybe if you play a through ball and you player doesn't win it, he doesn't challenge my player... maybe you knock the ball around the back and we play low pressure to work on passing lanes... maybe we play a 25 minute second half... but whatever we do, do not make a mockery of my team or the game.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
Goal
Goal
As a coach who has been on the bad side of many games like this I would rather the team continue to play soccer and attempt to score. After a game we can watch film and see what was not there and hopefully make adjustments. It is more demoralizing have a better skilled team play keep away and just run out the clock than actually trying to do the alternative.
To MC's defense, I am sure they subbed down as much as they could.

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
A
Goal
Goal
A
Jason and Sean make valid points. We had actually set the clock to 30 mins for 2nd half. Keenen's coach told me his players wanted the full 40. We have 16 players on our roster--one injured and one dealing with a family emergency.
Obliviously everyone played alot. Multiple formations--and although I thought of pulling a player or two, I thought Keenen may not care for this. They were a class act.

Goal
Goal
3/10
Hanahan-4
@Stratford-0

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Interesting, no one seems to take into account the perspective of their players. If you are on the losing end, do you really want to be out there for 80 minutes getting killed? At what point does it stop being a teachable moment?

If you are on the winning end, only negative things can happen to you in a situation like this, with getting hurt or getting red carded being the two big issues. I have seen both situations when winning teams have lost good players right before the state playoffs in blowout games.

No mercy rule, really?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I watched two games like this last night and saw most of what is being described as negative. I really wanted to leave the stands but felt compelled to stay and watch

In one game, the situation happened that player was through to goal with open shot and turned away to pass back and then play keep away for at least 30 passes. Really ugly.

The second game, got really chippy with several yellow cards and a red from the losing team. Players getting hurt and honestly most of that not from malice but more outclassed and clumsy challenges.

Not so sure about mercy rule, but do question how the HS leagues are compiled and games scheduled. There is such a huge delta in region games that this is bound to happen.

As a club administrator, I can't imagine this happening in any SCYS league (outside of a U8/U9)

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Goal
Goal
I've been on both ends. But in the end you have to play the game. We have had shortened 2nd halves and played the full 80. You make changes and don't leave your best forwards and mids in. You throw the bench players in and make some adjustements. Don't patronize a team by getting to the 6 then passing it all the way back. I'm sorry but this isn't rec anymore. People will have their feelings hurt. My guys knew against some teams it was going to be a blowout, but we'd do everything we could to make them earn every goal. They'd get a few goals and slowly ease up and we'd start to get to play around a bit more and get to try out a few things that we used against more evenly matched teams. Majority of the time we'd come out feeling fine and not being all butt hurt about it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard