Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173357 04/21/17 07:24 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
http://www.scysa.org/events/academy_divi...seasonal_year/?

http://www.gps-carolina.com/charlestonclinics

A free clinic before tryouts are allowed? Isn't this recruiting?

"We are also offering an opportunity for non-GPS players to find out more about GPS Carolina programs."

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Its a clinic, not a tryout, and its free. I dont think it would be considered illegal.

Bench
Bench
It is a free clinic offered by GPS Carolina, not a specific club, so no violation. What is probably more concerning is the constant recruitment of players by High School coaches that support local clubs as well.

I know my kids have approached by three different HS/Club coaches this season.

Jason Campbell
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
GPS Carolina isn't a specific club. It runs four or so clubs in the state of South Carolina.
If a specific club couldn't run a "clinic" like this, why should they be able to do the same?

HS/club coaches recruiting players has always been an issue. High school coaches trying to force their players to play for a certain club is an issue as well. Until the SCYSA/SCHSL does something about it, it will continue.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Coach, you guys tried that recruiting angle last year...I don't work for GPS, but I do applaud what they are doing. They are working their butts off and offering things that in the past, other clubs haven't. As you alluded to in another post, usamp has increased their programming, probably as a direct result of the GPS presence in Charleston. Hopefully if everyone steps up their game, soccer in Charleston as a whole will improve. There are many reasons people leave a club, lack of development, lack of competitive older teams. Each club would probably best to look at themselves in the mirror instead of always saying others are recruiting.

Bench
Bench
Coach I understand the stance presented and while I don't agree it is a recruiting stunt I can understand both sides of the discussion. For what it is worth, players can join and participate in GPS Carolina programs without being a member of one of the six GPS supported clubs in South Carolina. For example the GPS Elite program which gives players a chance to participate in US Club Soccer is a top notch offering and experience. Additionally, a player getting to play with like skilled players from multiple clubs is huge benefit for the players.

But anything that helps develop players is more than welcome and if it happens to be free then even better.

Jason Campbell
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Thank you for the thoughtful and respectful dialogue.
My point is that if you put name USA/MP or SSC on the same flyer and we offered a free camp on this date, it wouldn't be allowed.

I just think the playing field should be the same for everyone.

Hats off to them for making it free. I think it's great that they are doing it for free.

mysonsdad, I'm not sure what you are referring to that we tried that same recruiting angle last year. To my knowledge we didn't offer any free camps a few weeks before tryouts. We did offer a summer camp after tryouts were over.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I was simply referring to the complaint about the summer teams that was made last year as a recruiting tool. I can understand where you are coming from. I just wish the North Area would somehow work together to continue to make teams more competitive. Anyways, I am definitely excited to see some banter on this board, it has been years.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I agree that the North Area needs to come together. Before GPS took over NASA there were some talks but nothing ever came of it.
I wish we could get the politics out of soccer but that will never happen.
It would be great for kids and we could compete with the big boys and girls.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I agree that the North Area needs to come together. Before GPS took over NASA there were some talks but nothing ever came of it.
I wish we could get the politics out of soccer but that will never happen.
It would be great for kids and we could compete with the big boys and girls.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
The irony is, some of the the kids that my son played with on his u8 team, are now split between 4 different clubs. No telling how good the north area could be if all the best played together.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Just a thought, I think both clubs would benefit from working together more. Just looking at numbers and results, I think SSC and NASA are quickly going in 2 different directions on the boys side, at least at the younger ages. When looking at girls, SSC is much stronger and more established. If they could somehow manage to put both together, it could make for a strong club overall.

Goal
Goal
I'm not from that area but it would be nice if a lot of clubs would work together. I understand the competition, but in the end the whole purpose for Soccer Clubs is to develop local/regional youth to become better players of the beautiful game while also improving the overall quality of the player pool of those that are in school and those that perform nationally and professionally.

For my area, it would be nice for a Bulls affiliate to come in and try to work with us, but no such this has happened. So we have put together a group that will maximize the channels we have and try to grow from within though our area is declining. Another area I know of could benefit from some of the coastal clubs, but no dice. Things are seen as what is most cost effective while still improving their brand. I may be slightly off topic, but I feel that small clubs are in the grey area while the Big Boys are arguing over who will get top dog.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Good luck getting clubs to work together for the "greater good".

I know down here, there hasn't been such harmony among the 3 main clubs (although a few coaches from each club have tried to work together). While the clubs all have different options for players, you won't see much cohesion because of different reasons. I, for one, was always open to working with other clubs for the greater good. If I had a player that would probably benefit better playing for a different team in a different club for whatever reason, I'd communicate with the club directors with the reasoning and talk with the parents as well

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard