Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C

I
Throw In
Throw In
I

Man sued, placed on trespass notice for requesting public information from school
http://www.wistv.com/story/35682572/man-...enttype=generic
WIS-TV 10

Lex 2 sues parent, bans him from property over athletics record requests
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article156548874.html
The State

Changed Headline from: Battle erupts over FOI requests at Lexington School District 2's Brookland-Cayce High School

K
Bench
Bench
K

I
Throw In
Throw In
I
I never played for Coach Heise, but I know how much he has done for soccer in this state. At the very least we can see that justice is served on some people that obviously have no idea what is going on in society these days.

World Cup
World Cup
6/29/17

Lexington Chronicle, Weekly Newspaper

Should Lexington 2 have sued a parent for requesting “too much” information?

YES: 2%, 1 Votes
NO: 98%. 39 Votes
Total Votes: 40

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 06/29/17 11:35 AM.
World Cup
World Cup
I checked the Administration Control Panel for the SCSoccer.com Forums and there are now 4,593 registered members. $1 from each would raise half the total of the $10,000 goal for legal expenses. $2 would just about cover everything. I challenge the SCHSSCA and SCSoccer.com supporters to contribute a small sum in this endeavor!

Fundraiser: Citizens for McKim vs. Lexington School Two District
$2,270 raised as of 7/10/17

Quote:

New S.C. policy regarding FOIA requests

Changes to the state’s FOIA law bring new deadlines for responding

In May, several changes to the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) took effect when Governor Henry McMaster signed into law legislation amending the act.

The updated law now requires a response within 10 business days of receipt of a FOIA request for public records 24-months-old or less at the date of the request. At a minimum, that response should indicate whether the requested party has the documents, and if that entity has them, whether they will be compiled and provided. The requested entity must provide all responsive documents not subject to an exemption within 30 calendar days from the agency’s initial response.

For public records older than 24 months at the date of the request, the requested entity has 20 business days to provide an initial response and 35 calendar days, from the initial response, to compile and provide all responsive documents not subject to an exemption.

World Cup
World Cup

World Cup
World Cup
5/4/16

Freedom of Information law means that
Jerry Bellune, Lexington County Chronicle

Lexington District 1 attorney David Duff is not the first lawyer to slip up on the state’s long-standing Freedom of Information Act.

You can’t expect lawyers to know everything in the state’s voluminous code. That’s a reason the laws need a serious overhaul. We have laws in our state that make about as much sense today as buggy whips.

But the law is the law. We commend Mr. Duff for doing his homework and realizing that money the district receives from booster clubs or any one else is subject to public scrutiny.

That means, the district must let the public know where booster club money goes.

In this case, parents of girl softball players and others would like to know if the money favors the boys’ teams.

That’s a legitimate and common sense question even if there were no Title 9 requirements that boys and girls be treated without favortism.

It’s time the district and the school board talked openly about who gets what in Lexington High sports programs.

HIT: Congratulations to Paulette Criscione and her supporters for an Evening of Hope fundraiser for cancer patients. Paulette works with the county’s Recreation and Aging Commission and is a cancer survivor.
She knows the pain families of cancer patients suffer as she lost her father and two brothers to the disease.
MISS: State Retirement System Investment Commission CEO Michael Hitchcock and his cronies need to be fired for their $21 billion mismanagement.

This is the pension fund thousands of state and local public employees have been paying into and counting on for a worry-free retirement one day.
State Treasutrer Curtis Loftis has been on their case for years but our lawmakers seem to have turned deaf ears.

Now, Loftis says, it may be too late to save the system unless state employees pay more and the taxpaers pick up the rest of the billion dollar tab.

Neither is a fair solution. We need something better.

World Cup
World Cup
7/13/17

Richard Eckstrom, South Carolina Comptroller General

Open-government movement has come a long way
The Cayce-West Columbia News

It was ten years ago this month that I began developing plans for what would eventually become the state’s Fiscal Transparency Website — one of the first such sites the country. The goal was to provide citizens easy access to details about how state government spends their money.

At the time, the idea of making itemized, monthly reports of state agencies’ expenditures available on the Internet was considered revolutionary. Today, however, every state has such a website. (It’s worth noting that S.C’s transparency website is one of just a handful created without legislation requiring it… and the only one I’m aware of that was created using existing internal resources. My office also maintains the site without seeking additional funding.)

Over the past decade, the open government movement has flourished: More information is on the web, and in easy to find formats. Meetings of public bodies are being live-streamed on the Internet. Laws requiring public officials to provide government records to citizens are being strengthened and modernized.

Here in South Carolina, nearly 40 towns, cities and counties now voluntarily show their itemized expenditures on the web. All of the state’s school districts are now required to post their transactions online, as are all public colleges and universities. My staff provided advice and support – at no cost – to any school district that needed help providing this information.

Visitors to the Comptroller’s Office website, cg.sc.gov, can find links to state contracts with vendors, as well as information about travel costs for each state agency, economic development grants, and the revenue impact of the state’s various tax credits and exemptions.

In June, I announced our latest round of enhancements to the Fiscal Transparency Website. Visitors to the site can click links to see if they’re owed money under the Treasurer’s Unclaimed Property program, view campaign contributions to political candidates, track spending bills supported by each of our state’s Congressmen, and see who’s paying lobbyists to get influence at the State House. There’s also a link to see how lottery proceeds are being used. (Because lottery revenues and expenditures are not processed through the statewide accounting system that my office operates, I had previously been unable to track these funds.) For information about the growing cost of attending college, we’ve added a report showing tuition increases at South Carolina’s public colleges over the past decade.

These enhancements are part of an ongoing effort to make as much information as possible readily accessible to citizens.

Several recent changes to state law are designed to increase transparency. Elected office-holders now must disclose their sources of personal income under an ethics reform measure intended to help weed out conflicts of interest. And a bill signed into law in May limits how much time public officials can take to respond to records requests, as well as how much they can charge citizens for copies of records.

Even in Congress there are encouraging signs on the transparency front. A bipartisan group of lawmakers have sponsored the Open Government Data Act, which would put federal data online in a downloadable and machine-readable format.

The open government movement has come a long way in the past ten years. But there’s much more that must be done if the sun is to truly shine on government. Some officials will always search for excuses to make decisions behind the scenes, keep records out of public hands, or otherwise create obstacles to transparency.

Citizens have a big role to play in the transparency movement. Let your public officials know that you expect nothing less than full transparency in government operations. The next time a politician asks for your vote remind them that trust is a two-way street – and that citizens have a valid right to know how public business is conducted and can be trusted with the information.

Richard Eckstrom is a CPA and the state’s Comptroller.

World Cup
World Cup
District’s books show B.C. Athletic's account currently around $80,000 in the red

Quote:
Residents and school board candidate still concerned about Lexington District Two’s use of “Grey Area” bookkeeping, especially regarding B.C. High School sports

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard