Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173755 07/03/17 06:42 PM
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/962/15/SILENT%20SEPTEMBER%20--%20Final.pdf

SILENT SEPTEMBER – Fall 2017 – “Just let them play!”
Due to continuing problems/issues with sideline behaviors on the parent/spectator touchline – and the
impact that inappropriate behavior has upon our youth, especially upon youth referees; and the
additional impact that inappropriate sideline behaviors have upon overall referee retention, SCYSA is
implementing a SILENT SEPTEMBER for all SCYSA sponsored league games, statewide, at all levels.
The current CODE OF CONDUCT applicable to game day behaviors of Parents and Visitors includes:
a. Children have more need for example than for criticism.
b. Attempt to relieve the pressure of the competition, not increase it.
c. A child is easily affected by outside influences.
d. Show respect to your child’s coaches and officials. Many coaches are volunteers giving of
personal time and money to provide a recreational activity for your child.
e. Applaud good plays by your team and by members of the opposing team.
f. Do not openly question an official’s judgment and honesty.
g. Officials are symbols of fair play, integrity, and sportsmanship. Accept the results of each
game.
h. Encourage your child to be gracious in victory and to turn defeat into victory by working towards
improvement.
i. Remember, your children are involved in organized sports for their enjoyment, NOT YOURS!
Encourage your child to always play by the rules. Teach your child that honest effort is as
important as victory so that the result of each game is accepted without undue disappointment.
j. On game day, officials should be treated with respect before, during, and after the game.
Officials should be addressed as “Referee” or “Mr. or Ms. Referee” and not by name.
Professional respect should be mutual and there should be no demeaning dialogue or gesture
between the official and the parent.

Since behaviors which are contrary to these guidelines are occurring far too frequently the following
shall be the protocol for Silent September:

1. All parents and visitors shall be silent during the game. No cheering, no jeering; just enjoy your
player and the game that they love. Also during this Silent September, all parents and visitors shall be
on that half of the parent touchline opposite their team’s bench.

2. In the event of a parent or visitor violates this rule, on the first instance during a game the referee
will ASK the coach to counsel his parents/visitors to remain silent, on the second instance during the
game the referee will TELL the coach to counsel his parents/visitors to remain silent, upon the third
instance during the game the referee will direct the coach to DISMISS the offending spectator(s) -- if
they do not leave or the coach refuses - then the coach will be sent off. If there is not an appropriately
carded adult to continue coaching the game, the game will be abandoned and the circumstances
reported to SCYSA. Likewise, if the offending spectator(s) still refuse to leave, even after the coach is
sent off, then the game will be abandoned and the circumstances reported to SCYSA.

If in the opinion of the referee the situation warrants, first two steps (ASK/TELL) are not required.

3. Prior to the beginning of the season, each team manager shall obtain parent signatures on behalf of
each player on their roster acknowledging their awareness of the parent/visitor code of conduct.

4. Team managers are expected to be on the parent touchline in order to address any inappropriate
behaviors directly.

5. Teams / Parent Groups / Individuals who are reported as having been dismissed from a game are
subject to sanctions for their inappropriate conduct. Repeat offenders will be sanctioned more severely.
The purpose of this SILENT SEPTEMBER is to make parents/visitors aware of the SCYSA focus on
appropriate sideline behavior and of the existence of a CODE OF CONDUCT, and re-establish that
managing parent/visitor behavior is the responsibility of coaches and clubs, NOT referees.
Following SILENT SEPTEMBER, SCYSA will have periodic SILENT SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS as a reminder.

Brace
Brace
Awful idea! I guess this is next: Ball-less Soccer

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
C
Coach
Coach
C
I just want to make sure I am reading this correctly...

Coaches are being directed to EJECT PARENTS FROM THEIR CHILD'S MATCH for CHEERING THEIR CHILD'S PLAY ON THE FIELD.

Somebody please tell me I am reading this wrong.

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
Goal
This is absolutely insane! I vote we move to US Club Soccer or other entity that does not enforce such a ludicrous measure.

Victory Starts Here!
S
Brace
Brace
S
Originally Posted By: Coach Chass
I just want to make sure I am reading this correctly...

Coaches are being directed to EJECT PARENTS FROM THEIR CHILD'S MATCH for CHEERING THEIR CHILD'S PLAY ON THE FIELD.

Somebody please tell me I am reading this wrong.

Nope. That about sums it up.

So now coaches have to manage parents to make sure that they are adhering to this rule during September. While I understand what message they're trying to send with the verbal abuse of referees, I think they went just too far with it. We're gonna have more stoppage of play due to coaches having to jog across the field multiple times to talk to parents than anything else

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Made national TV this morning (Today Show).

NBC Today Show

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Will this apply to tournaments as well? SCUFC has their Carolina Cup which starts in September. It also has out of state teams. How does this rule impact when out of state teams play in SC?

C
Coach
Coach
C
"Silent September" applies to League games only, not tournaments.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
Originally Posted By: Coach Chass
"Silent September" applies to League games only, not tournaments.

Correct, but includes recreation games. also

World Cup
World Cup
SC Youth Soccer Club Administrators,

Wow! Who would have expected the wildfire of attention that our Silent September policy statement garnered.

While we had published the policy itself, the guidelines for implementation had not been fully developed so they were not part of the discussion. Much has been made on social media and in the media itself of things literally being "silent," which exaggerates how our concept will be implemented. The information below outlines those implementation guidelines which have been part of the concept from the beginning:

Over the last several years we have used a variety of strategies to address these concerns with nominal positive results, but even some improvement was good. Those strategies included removing and sanctioning parents who acted inappropriately. This past Spring, however, we had an uptick in inappropriate behaviors so we developed this initiative of a "Silent September" to kick off the Fall season of the 5 leagues that we administer directly. Those 5 leagues are: Sandlapper, Coastal, Open, PMSL and Challenge. This policy does not apply to any leagues separately managed by any member club unless that league/club chooses to adopt it. Likewise it does not apply to tournaments, the Premier League, ECNL or any other leagues.

For purposes of this policy, "Silent" means any "verbal cheering at any time that the ball is in play." Clapping, foot stomping, cowbells, thunder sticks, vuvuzelas and similar types of manual noisemakers are allowed. Artificial or electronic noisemakers, musical instruments, drums, whistles and airhorns are not allowed. If any noisemaker is used in a manner to express dissent or to harass a game official or opposing player/coach in the opinion of the referee, that parent/spectator may be subject to the ask/tell/dismiss protocol.

Any public, personal and provocative comment directed to any game official or opposing player/coach may result in an immediate send off -- ie the game official can go immediately to having the coach dismiss the individual(s), and if they fail/refuse to leave the venue, then the coach will be sent off and the game could potentially result in being abandoned.

A fully licensed referee badge can be earned at age 14. So it's not uncommon for teenagers to be reffing the younger ages -- who happen to have some of the more "enthusiastic" parents. That is where those younger referees are mentored and gain experience. So in that circumstance it is essentially adults yelling at teenagers. The number one reason that youth soccer referees in SC report for not returning is abusive behavior from parents to the tune of 70% not returning.

Aside from the impact that inappropriate parent behaviors have on referees, particularly younger referees, many parents really seem to lack the understanding of how their well-intentioned "cheering" has on their players. In that regard, the Changing the Game Project is a great reference. Here's a video that they have published that is directly on point: https://www.facebook.com/ChangingTheGameProject/videos/1430366760343548/. That is another component of this same conversation.

Our primary objective with this Silent September initiative is to start the conversation; to reset everyone to our long established expectations of sideline behaviors. We understand that it's a process to change the culture, but that process needs to start somewhere.

Please encourage your parents to stay engaged and be part of the conversation going forward. And even in September, there will be plenty of opportunity for parents to tell their players how much they love to watch them play.

Thank you for all you do to support youth soccer in SC!

SCYSA Board of Directors
SC State Referee Committee (Youth Side)

ps. In the near future we will be making a Press Release and an e-blast to registrants conveying this same information. We simply wanted you to be advised first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard