#173914 09/20/17 03:21 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal

C
Goal
Goal
C
Appears the Battery is taking the lead in the Lowcountry.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Dear Summerville/Charleston Battery Youth Soccer Club Players, Parents and Coaches,

I trust you are all well and no doubt looking forward to the holidays. I just wanted to take the time and update you on a number of youth soccer related items we are working on.

1. The Charleston Battery maintenance crew has been at the Summerville Soccer Facility for the past couple of weeks to tidy up the areas surrounding the soccer fields - this is phase 1 of the facility redevelopment. Future/longer term plans include resurfacing the road and parking lot, painting the field-house and eventually turfing up to 3 of the fields.

2. CBSC have announced our Dallas Cup team for the 2005 Boys - this is one of the highest level of tournaments in the USA and has professional youth teams from all over the world - this team will be a one off tournament only team - and will be selected from players who attend our tryout from a multitude of local youth clubs. More info here - http://www.chsbatterysc.com/news_article/show/868298?referrer_id=3489435

3. We have hired our Technical Director who will oversee the whole of Charleston Battery youth soccer - the announcement is iminent and you will be seeing him on a regular basis when your sons/daughters return for their Spring season. His job will be to evaluate our programs, coaches and to set the curriculum and long term vision and plan for the future of Charleston Battery youth soccer.

4. Every registered Summerville Soccer Club player will be receiving a season ticket for the 2018 USL season - with reduced prices for siblings and parents - there is no better player development tool than observing the best level of soccer in South Carolina! More information to come in January.

5. Our first ever youth tournament in conjunction with our Senior Team’s Carolina Challenge Cup is getting a lot of interest from some of the region’s top youth clubs - we have had enquiries from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio and Minnesota. As well as international interest from Mexico and Brazil! More information here - http://www.chsbatterysc.com/challengecup

Over the next few weeks/months you will be seeing more announcements regarding our future plans, including try out dates/format for 2018-19 as well as coaching staff for 2018-19.

CBSC plans on holding an open forum for players, parents and coaches alike with our new youth director sometime in the new year - we would love you to attend and hear your questions and concerns. Youth development is a long term process and we believe our strategic affiliations with the Charleston Battery and Charleston Fleet senior teams are an integral part, ultimately for the overall benefit of all youth soccer in the lowcountry and beyond!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Mike Kelleher

Chief Operating Officer

Charleston Battery

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
The Charleston Battery Challenge Cup is a youth tournament that coincides with the Carolina Challenge Cup (CCC), a preseason professional tournament featuring the Charleston Battery and three Major League Soccer teams. The Battery Challenge Cup is split into two weekends, with U8-U12 playing on February 17, 18, & 19 and U13 and above playing on February 23, 24 & 25. If you are registering a U8-U12 team, click the top registration link. If you are registering a U13+ team, click the bottom registration link.

**REGISTRATION DEADLINES ARE FEBRUARY 1 (U8-U12) AND FEBRUARY 8 (U13-U18)**

The Charleston Battery Youth Challenge Cup is a youth tournament that coincides with the Carolina Challenge Cup (CCC), a preseason professional tournament featuring the Charleston Battery and three Major League Soccer teams. The Youth Challenge Cup is split into two weekends, with U8-U12 playing on February 17, 18, & 19 and U13 and above playing on February 23, 24, & 25. More details below:

Dates:
February 17, 18, & 19 (U8-U12)
February 23, 24, & 25 (U13-U18)

Level:
Recreation, Academy, Classic, Challenge, Premier. Other teams will be considered based on applications.

Registration Fees:
U8-U9 (7v7): $500/team
U10-U12 (9v9): $600/team
U13-U18 (11v11): $700/team

Registration includes three guaranteed matches, TEN TICKETS for Carolina Challenge Cup matches on 2/17 or 2/24, behind the scenes access to MLS training sessions, and Q & A sessions with MLS officials and college coaches. No tournament games will conflict with MLS games.

Matches Guaranteed:
All teams are guaranteed at least three matches

Tournament Facilities:
Matches will be hosted at Summerville Soccer Complex. Other tournament venues to be announced.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Charleston Battery Soccer Club has selected Derek Broadley as its first ever Youth Technical Director.

Broadley was chosen from thousands of applicants to lead the daily technical operations of CHS Battery SC. The Glasgow, Scotland native and U.S. citizen has a wealth of experience in varying levels of the game and has worked as a coach and a coach educator for over two decades.

Broadley’s resume is highlighted by a four-year stint as Crystal Palace Academy Director and a three-year stint as Bermuda Football Association Technical Director where he introduced a national academy program, restructured the national football leagues at every level from youth through senior, and helped the senior national team rise 36 places in the FIFA World Rankings while in his role. Broadley has a UEFA “A” Licence and an English Football Association Academy Director’s License.

“I am thrilled and honored to be appointed as the Charleston Battery Soccer Club’s first Technical Director,” said Broadley. “It is a fantastic feeling to be joining such a great club that is steeped in soccer tradition and that has such a long standing soccer history. Having gained many great experiences working in different countries, I’m excited to get started in Charleston working with some very experienced and high level soccer people who all are so passionate about growing the game of soccer in the Lowcountry.”

As Technical Director, Broadley will build educational programs, ensure the progress of player and coach development, and instill first team values throughout the club. Broadley will be immediately tasked with implementing a clear philosophy and pathway for the development of Charleston Battery Soccer Club players at all levels of the game.

“We were overwhelmed with the level interest and quality of candidates who applied for this role,” said Chief Operating Officer Mike Kelleher. “Ultimately we believe that Derek is the best fit; he can make an immediate impact as well as lay the foundation for the future of youth soccer in Charleston for years to come. To appoint someone of his caliber and experience as our first Youth Technical Director is a major coup for the Battery and the soccer community in this area.”

Charleston Battery Soccer Club recently announced it will send an ‘05 boys team to the Dallas Cup, one of the most prestigious youth tournaments in the world. Broadley will be instrumental in selecting the players for the Dallas Cup team. Tryouts for the Dallas Cup Team will take place at MUSC Health Stadium on January 6, 7, and 14. For more information, visit chsbatterysc.com/dallas-cup-team

Derek Broadley’s Career Highlights:

UEFA "A" Coaching License

Football Association Academy Director’s License

NSCAA Master Coach

Wrote four levels of National Qualifications (A, B, C, and D Licenses) on behalf of the Bermuda Football Association

Crystal Palace Academy Director

Developed and implemented curriculum for youth players from eight through senior level for the Bermuda Football Association

Reading Rage Soccer Club Academy Director and Head Coach of PDL team

Bermuda Football Association Technical Director

Knoxville Soccer Academy Director

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Also, Christian Michner, women's coach of College of Charleston is leaving Mt Pleasant Soccer Club to be the Girls Director of Soccer.

The Battery are quickly transforming the club into one of a more professional training atmosphere from the current 'mom and pop' (no offense meant, I just don't know a better way to characterize it) one.

C
Goal
Goal
C
The Lowcountry has need a "professional" run youth club for many years. Three cheers for them!

U
Bench
Bench
U
“Mom and pop”. Lol.

Don’t the Michners’ have youth playing children.?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
"Mom and pop". Indeed

some people seem to like it

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
I knew some would take offense, but I didn't want to go too far into it.

Yes the Michners have children. I fail to see the relevance. So does Claudio Reyna.

Yes. Some, like it. But if we are being fair there a few options given distance, traffic, etc...

The point is, parents pay a lot of money to SSC. They are told all the coaches are "professionals" per their website. Yet these "professionals" in some cases never even played in High School let alone college.

There are no developmental goals clearly communicated at each age level. Do parents know what skill sets their children are supposed to have mastered at each age level? At SSC, my experience is no.

Coaches stay with the same team in some cases over its lifetime or several years. How is that a best practice? Professionally run organizations have coaches specialize at specific age levels.

These are things I am hoping for. It is not about parents coaching. Being a parent neither adds or subtracts to coaching ability. It is about the way this organization has not grown into the modern concepts of a club. Right now SSC is closer to being a more expensive version of the YMCA than it is to the RBNY youth club. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

The people at SSC are very nice and have worked very hard. I am thankful for what they have done. But I also believe SSC can/should be stronger, more organized, and more clear in its expectations.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard