Topic Options
#173914 - 09/20/17 11:21 AM Battery takes over SSC
Alister DeLong Online   content
Goal

Loc: Lowcountry

#173953 - 10/20/17 02:54 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Chantman Offline
Goal

Appears the Battery is taking the lead in the Lowcountry.

#174039 - 12/23/17 09:19 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Dear Summerville/Charleston Battery Youth Soccer Club Players, Parents and Coaches,

I trust you are all well and no doubt looking forward to the holidays. I just wanted to take the time and update you on a number of youth soccer related items we are working on.

1. The Charleston Battery maintenance crew has been at the Summerville Soccer Facility for the past couple of weeks to tidy up the areas surrounding the soccer fields - this is phase 1 of the facility redevelopment. Future/longer term plans include resurfacing the road and parking lot, painting the field-house and eventually turfing up to 3 of the fields.

2. CBSC have announced our Dallas Cup team for the 2005 Boys - this is one of the highest level of tournaments in the USA and has professional youth teams from all over the world - this team will be a one off tournament only team - and will be selected from players who attend our tryout from a multitude of local youth clubs. More info here - http://www.chsbatterysc.com/news_article/show/868298?referrer_id=3489435

3. We have hired our Technical Director who will oversee the whole of Charleston Battery youth soccer - the announcement is iminent and you will be seeing him on a regular basis when your sons/daughters return for their Spring season. His job will be to evaluate our programs, coaches and to set the curriculum and long term vision and plan for the future of Charleston Battery youth soccer.

4. Every registered Summerville Soccer Club player will be receiving a season ticket for the 2018 USL season - with reduced prices for siblings and parents - there is no better player development tool than observing the best level of soccer in South Carolina! More information to come in January.

5. Our first ever youth tournament in conjunction with our Senior Team’s Carolina Challenge Cup is getting a lot of interest from some of the region’s top youth clubs - we have had enquiries from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio and Minnesota. As well as international interest from Mexico and Brazil! More information here - http://www.chsbatterysc.com/challengecup

Over the next few weeks/months you will be seeing more announcements regarding our future plans, including try out dates/format for 2018-19 as well as coaching staff for 2018-19.

CBSC plans on holding an open forum for players, parents and coaches alike with our new youth director sometime in the new year - we would love you to attend and hear your questions and concerns. Youth development is a long term process and we believe our strategic affiliations with the Charleston Battery and Charleston Fleet senior teams are an integral part, ultimately for the overall benefit of all youth soccer in the lowcountry and beyond!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Mike Kelleher

Chief Operating Officer

Charleston Battery

#174040 - 12/23/17 09:25 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

The Charleston Battery Challenge Cup is a youth tournament that coincides with the Carolina Challenge Cup (CCC), a preseason professional tournament featuring the Charleston Battery and three Major League Soccer teams. The Battery Challenge Cup is split into two weekends, with U8-U12 playing on February 17, 18, & 19 and U13 and above playing on February 23, 24 & 25. If you are registering a U8-U12 team, click the top registration link. If you are registering a U13+ team, click the bottom registration link.

**REGISTRATION DEADLINES ARE FEBRUARY 1 (U8-U12) AND FEBRUARY 8 (U13-U18)**

The Charleston Battery Youth Challenge Cup is a youth tournament that coincides with the Carolina Challenge Cup (CCC), a preseason professional tournament featuring the Charleston Battery and three Major League Soccer teams. The Youth Challenge Cup is split into two weekends, with U8-U12 playing on February 17, 18, & 19 and U13 and above playing on February 23, 24, & 25. More details below:

Dates:
February 17, 18, & 19 (U8-U12)
February 23, 24, & 25 (U13-U18)

Level:
Recreation, Academy, Classic, Challenge, Premier. Other teams will be considered based on applications.

Registration Fees:
U8-U9 (7v7): $500/team
U10-U12 (9v9): $600/team
U13-U18 (11v11): $700/team

Registration includes three guaranteed matches, TEN TICKETS for Carolina Challenge Cup matches on 2/17 or 2/24, behind the scenes access to MLS training sessions, and Q & A sessions with MLS officials and college coaches. No tournament games will conflict with MLS games.

Matches Guaranteed:
All teams are guaranteed at least three matches

Tournament Facilities:
Matches will be hosted at Summerville Soccer Complex. Other tournament venues to be announced.

#174048 - 12/28/17 06:17 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Charleston Battery Soccer Club has selected Derek Broadley as its first ever Youth Technical Director.

Broadley was chosen from thousands of applicants to lead the daily technical operations of CHS Battery SC. The Glasgow, Scotland native and U.S. citizen has a wealth of experience in varying levels of the game and has worked as a coach and a coach educator for over two decades.

Broadley’s resume is highlighted by a four-year stint as Crystal Palace Academy Director and a three-year stint as Bermuda Football Association Technical Director where he introduced a national academy program, restructured the national football leagues at every level from youth through senior, and helped the senior national team rise 36 places in the FIFA World Rankings while in his role. Broadley has a UEFA “A” Licence and an English Football Association Academy Director’s License.

“I am thrilled and honored to be appointed as the Charleston Battery Soccer Club’s first Technical Director,” said Broadley. “It is a fantastic feeling to be joining such a great club that is steeped in soccer tradition and that has such a long standing soccer history. Having gained many great experiences working in different countries, I’m excited to get started in Charleston working with some very experienced and high level soccer people who all are so passionate about growing the game of soccer in the Lowcountry.”

As Technical Director, Broadley will build educational programs, ensure the progress of player and coach development, and instill first team values throughout the club. Broadley will be immediately tasked with implementing a clear philosophy and pathway for the development of Charleston Battery Soccer Club players at all levels of the game.

“We were overwhelmed with the level interest and quality of candidates who applied for this role,” said Chief Operating Officer Mike Kelleher. “Ultimately we believe that Derek is the best fit; he can make an immediate impact as well as lay the foundation for the future of youth soccer in Charleston for years to come. To appoint someone of his caliber and experience as our first Youth Technical Director is a major coup for the Battery and the soccer community in this area.”

Charleston Battery Soccer Club recently announced it will send an ‘05 boys team to the Dallas Cup, one of the most prestigious youth tournaments in the world. Broadley will be instrumental in selecting the players for the Dallas Cup team. Tryouts for the Dallas Cup Team will take place at MUSC Health Stadium on January 6, 7, and 14. For more information, visit chsbatterysc.com/dallas-cup-team

Derek Broadley’s Career Highlights:

UEFA "A" Coaching License

Football Association Academy Director’s License

NSCAA Master Coach

Wrote four levels of National Qualifications (A, B, C, and D Licenses) on behalf of the Bermuda Football Association

Crystal Palace Academy Director

Developed and implemented curriculum for youth players from eight through senior level for the Bermuda Football Association

Reading Rage Soccer Club Academy Director and Head Coach of PDL team

Bermuda Football Association Technical Director

Knoxville Soccer Academy Director

#174049 - 12/28/17 06:26 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Also, Christian Michner, women's coach of College of Charleston is leaving Mt Pleasant Soccer Club to be the Girls Director of Soccer.

The Battery are quickly transforming the club into one of a more professional training atmosphere from the current 'mom and pop' (no offense meant, I just don't know a better way to characterize it) one.

#174064 - 01/12/18 01:58 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
Chantman Offline
Goal

The Lowcountry has need a "professional" run youth club for many years. Three cheers for them!

#174066 - 01/12/18 06:41 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
USAMTP Offline
Bench

“Mom and pop”. Lol.

Don’t the Michners’ have youth playing children.?

#174069 - 01/13/18 04:13 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Cainhoy Athletic Online   content

Corner Kick

Loc: Cainhoy, SC
"Mom and pop". Indeed

some people seem to like it

#174071 - 01/14/18 11:53 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Cainhoy Athletic]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

I knew some would take offense, but I didn't want to go too far into it.

Yes the Michners have children. I fail to see the relevance. So does Claudio Reyna.

Yes. Some, like it. But if we are being fair there a few options given distance, traffic, etc...

The point is, parents pay a lot of money to SSC. They are told all the coaches are "professionals" per their website. Yet these "professionals" in some cases never even played in High School let alone college.

There are no developmental goals clearly communicated at each age level. Do parents know what skill sets their children are supposed to have mastered at each age level? At SSC, my experience is no.

Coaches stay with the same team in some cases over its lifetime or several years. How is that a best practice? Professionally run organizations have coaches specialize at specific age levels.

These are things I am hoping for. It is not about parents coaching. Being a parent neither adds or subtracts to coaching ability. It is about the way this organization has not grown into the modern concepts of a club. Right now SSC is closer to being a more expensive version of the YMCA than it is to the RBNY youth club. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

The people at SSC are very nice and have worked very hard. I am thankful for what they have done. But I also believe SSC can/should be stronger, more organized, and more clear in its expectations.

#174073 - 01/14/18 08:34 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
mysonsdad Offline
Throw In

Kudos to you for taking on this. I am interested to see how the battery develops. Certainly not to bash the good people over at SSC, but unfortunately they are a shell of what they once were. They have a ton of talent that started there, now playing for other clubs all over the lowcountry.....I really think you hit the nail on the head, when you compared to a high priced ymca club. I never thought of it that way,,, but you are 100% correct.

I am curious as to why the battery chose to start with the 05's at the Dallas Cup. With GPS and USAMP both offering the best 2 05 teams in the area and both already playing premier, it might be difficult to put together a tournament team that will be competitive at Dallas. The summerville 05's aren't even competitive in Classic. This should be interesting to see how it all turns out. I am a big fan of improving soccer overall in the lowcountry, so I really hope this takes off!

#174074 - 01/14/18 09:30 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: mysonsdad]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

I could be wrong, but I believe Dallas Cup team is open to players beyond SSC.

Thank you for the kind response. I want to reiterate that I believe the staff at SSC are terrific people and I know they have poured their time and energy into soccer with little thanks.

Like you alluded to though, SSC has been bleeding players (I believe over 100 to GPS NASA alone).

I want to believe this is step in the right direction.

#174075 - 01/15/18 11:29 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
mysonsdad Offline
Throw In

I think they have lost players to clubs all over,, but especially to GPS. Supposedly they had to dissolve their top 06 team because 3/4ths of the team left at Christmas.. It is just not a sustainable business model. I hope the Battery is able to make improvements in that area for sure. I still wonder why the Battery chose to send an 05 team to Dallas though.

#174076 - 01/16/18 10:02 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Alister DeLong Online   content
Goal

Loc: Lowcountry
The 05 team going to the Dallas Cup is open to any player from any club. Not just current SSC players.

The 06 team was doomed from the start. The person that was supposed to coach, went through tryouts and selected the team but then decided to go elsewhere and take his son with him. That would be hard for any team, at any club, to recover from.

#174713 - 04/23/18 07:15 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

The Battery held their information meeting last night. Not a lot of new info came out, but these are the highlights:

The Directors role will increase but will not be coaching a team.

Coaches will be required to attend monthly training meetings.

Player profiles will be established and each player will have an assessment meeting with the coach and director at the end of the season.

The director made it clear his role is to develop players for the Battery and Fleet. That is his primary mission.

An important development is that the Battery announced that have cleared land on Daniel Island. This should be playable in October. Should hold 4-6 fields.

Additionally, the Battery have secured an agreement with Shipyard Parks in the Mt. Pleasant/Cainhoy area. These fields are artificial turf.

Summerville will eventually have some turf fields. No timeline available.

Pricing is in line with other clubs.

A season ticket to Battery games will be given to each player.

A player development academy will be created. Once approved, that team (u-13?) will play against similar teams. Other organizations already having these teams include the Pittsburg Riverhounds, Richmond Kickers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and Atlanta United.

Thee was a fairly large crowd gathered. If I missed anything and anyone else was there, please feel free to add.

#174856 - 05/04/18 04:34 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Just received today. Mercedes as a sponsor is sweet.

We are excited to launch this long-term youth soccer project in the Lowcountry! We encourage children and their parents to attend as many different club tryouts as they wish and select the club that’s the best fit for the player and family - please ask questions!

We are pleased to announce Mercedes Benz Vans as our first youth club sponsor - more details to follow!

Furthermore, we understand there have been a few announcements regarding the various leagues in the Charleston area - rest assured we have been working closely with all youth soccer governing bodies, including both the SCYSA (Coastal League) and US Club Soccer (Carolina’s Premier League) in order to find the most appropriate games program for each team and players. We are also working with similar-minded professional soccer organizations (such as Atlanta United, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and Richmond Kickers) to provide the appropriate games program for those players who desire and have the potential to perform at the highest level, be that via the USSF Development Academy or ECNL.

Finally, every player who attends our tryouts will receive a complimentary ticket to our upcoming doubleheader featuring the Charleston Battery and Charleston Fleet at MUSC Health Stadium on May 19. Come experience the highest level of soccer in the state of South Carolina.

#174865 - 05/05/18 10:56 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Several current Battery players on the list. Don't know if they can coach but they will have an appeal. Dante in particular is very popular.

Jr. Academy:

2010 Boys (U9)
Randy Dahlmann
Chris Jones
Mike Kelleher
Jason Winn

2009 Boys (U10)
Jay Bolt
Jarad van Schaik
Elias Villagomez

2008 Boys (U11)
Joe Begley
Christian Michner
Skylar Thomas

2007 Boys (U12)
Sebastian Davis
Taylor Mueller
Gregg Russ

2010 Girls (U9)
Chris Cook
Megan Jones
Al Loli

2009 Girls (U10)
Taryn Floyd
Michelle Wilson
Dante Marini

2008 Girls (U11)
Chris Cook
John Slick
Nico Rittmeyer

2007 Girls (U12)
Doug Kifer
Mike Petry
Ian Svantesson

Charleston Battery Soccer Club is please to announce our coaching list for the 2018-2019 season. Our staff is full of highly qualified coaches, locally experienced coaches and current and former professional players, who will all work under the direction of our Youth Technical Director, Derek Broadley.

As teams form, coaches will be assigned based on our age specific pools.

#174902 - 05/08/18 12:40 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

It doesn't specify the $, but I am curious how much improvement they can make and how it is allocated. Major efforts mentioned are prepping the new Daniel Island fields, turf at summerville and improving lighting. Announcement:

Charleston Battery Soccer Club has added Mercedes- Benz Vans, LLC (MBV) as the organization’s founding partner.

The partnership includes signage at the youth facilities and MUSC Health Stadium, special opportunities for Mercedes-Benz Vans employees, and use of the youth facility for corporate events and functions. Charleston Battery Youth Soccer Club will use the funds from the sponsorship to make improvements to its facilities in Summerville, Daniel Island and future site locations.

“We’re very excited about the partnership with Mercedes-Benz Vans,” said Charleston Battery chairman Eric Bowman. “The founding partnership will allow us to make much-needed upgrades to our youth facilities all over Charleston which will provide a better overall experience for young players in the area. We’ve been big proponents of supporting local business since the professional Club started in 1993 and we’re thrilled to be able to continue that with the youth club.”

Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC is a plant in North Charleston, South Carolina that assembles Sprinter vans for the U.S. market under the brands Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner. Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC announced in March 2015 that it will invest $500 million in construction of a new Sprinter production plant, in addition to an expansion of existing operations. In July 2016, MBV officially broke ground on the site of its new plant, .and the plant is expected to open in the second half of 2018. The MBV facility will provide up to 1,300 jobs by the end of the decade, and interested candidates can apply at www.MBVcharleston.com/career.

"As our operations in Charleston expand, so does our involvement with the local community, “ said Michael Balke, President & CEO of Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC. “One of our focus areas for community engagement is health and wellness, and we hope this partnership inspires our community’s children to get active through the game of soccer.”

#174922 - 05/09/18 08:05 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Based on preliminary observations, eval turnouts for the Battery have been very positive in Mt Pleasant but underwhelming in Summerville. I know of several kids that were trying out at two different clubs.

#174923 - 05/09/18 11:36 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
mysonsdad Offline
Throw In

You think it’s the distance?

#174924 - 05/10/18 08:58 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

I am not sure. Different parents have their own motivations. NASA is stronger right now and a couple of years ahead of where the Battery want to be.

Some parents may be turned off by cost, though it did not significantly change that much. Others, that lost the influence they once had may not like their newfound even playing field.

In the end, I think the kids will be about the same at the young end, but the older kids are (and have been) leaving in droves.

Once the Battery establishes the Development Academy team though, I think that will be a huge shift in their favor.

#174926 - 05/10/18 10:48 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
mysonsdad Offline
Throw In

I agree,, looks like a spot on assessment. I did see many familiar faces from SSC at my U-littles tryout. I think the establishment of a DA will help draw some players. It may take a while though. I would assume they would get a DA at the u-12 age first. Not sure how long it will take to add the older ages. There struggle will be keeping the kids as they age out of the DA.

#174928 - 05/10/18 12:26 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

I personally think this will be the 'down' year. Too many built in advantages. Tryouts in Mt. Pleasant were at least double Summerville.

Word of mouth will be the difference. If the experience is positive, more kids will come, if not, they won't.

#174932 - 05/10/18 10:52 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
mysonsdad Offline
Throw In

Gps has a ton of talent at their younger tryouts. I knew this year was going to be a big year, but I was really really impressed. That being said, I’m sure some of the new kids are trying out at several clubs.

#174940 - 05/11/18 02:31 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Cainhoy Athletic Online   content

Corner Kick

Loc: Cainhoy, SC
Quote:
Tryouts in Mt. Pleasant were at least double Summerville.

That makes a lot of sense
At least four (4) times more players in East Cooper than Summerville according to SCYS #
Charleston Battery is on Daniel Island
At least 6 of their JA coaches had CASC coaching cards so probably shifting some jersey colors as I described earlier (all good)

At one point in past we were very close to starting up a branch in Moncks Corner to offer our low cost alternative but didn't as we couldn't get any local folks foolish enough to do what we do.

#175341 - 08/06/18 08:04 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Had our team meeting tonight. I was impressed by the professionalism of the club. A lot of details being addressed, but the biggest takeaway I noticed was the support the club is providing to parents and the development opportunities for the coaches.

#175342 - 08/07/18 08:31 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: mysonsdad]
jahlion247 Offline
Bench

Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
Gps has a ton of talent at their younger tryouts. I knew this year was going to be a big year, but I was really really impressed. That being said, I’m sure some of the new kids are trying out at several clubs.

GPS does a great job of recruiting players from non-affiliated clubs. I would think most would stick.

#175344 - 08/07/18 09:44 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
EastOak961 Offline
Bench

Where are their younger teams going to end up playing (if anyone knows )? Tournaments and friendly weekends?

#175345 - 08/07/18 12:07 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

Which clubs and what ages are you asking about?

#175346 - 08/07/18 12:24 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: EastOak961]
EastOak961 Offline
Bench

Originally Posted By: EastOak961
Where are their younger teams going to end up playing (if anyone knows )? Tournaments and friendly weekends?

Battery, u12 and below.

#175347 - 08/07/18 12:50 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

U12 is in the Jim Hudson 9v9. They play a statewide schedule to the US Club soccer league (Carolina's Premiere League) with similar competition (including some of the same teams). That schedule comes out in the next week and I believe it will be in a festival weekend format.

I've heard due to the CsPL, the teams u11 and below dont have a league but will be playing a 4 or 5 festival style weekends with maybe half in Charleston area

#175348 - 08/07/18 12:53 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

They play a statewide schedule **similar** to the US Club soccer league (Carolina's...

#175349 - 08/07/18 02:06 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

I don't think it is ironed out yet. I have seen some clubs in those age groups enter teams in the Coastal league (Chas Utd, Walterboro, KOSA, and Beach). I believe that is their intent at this point.

If the Battery decide to stay in house, I think those other clubs will really struggle to continue if there aren't any games to play.

This question was was raised and the Battery reps said they were committed to creating the best game day environment they can. It was emphasized that their philosophy on games at that age though is to assess prior training and guide future training.

The games are to be seen as an evaluation of the training, not the players at the younger ages. This may be a difficult idea for some parents to adjust to, but I think the kids will be fine as long as they get to play and fun.

On a side note. I know my sons team will play in local tournaments and the Battery is still willing to support local clubs. I will be interested to see if that is reciprocated at the Battery tournament(s).

#175350 - 08/07/18 02:55 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: scsoccerfan123D]
EastOak961 Offline
Bench

Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
U12 is in the Jim Hudson 9v9. They play a statewide schedule to the US Club soccer league (Carolina's Premiere League) with similar competition (including some of the same teams). That schedule comes out in the next week and I believe it will be in a festival weekend format.

I've heard due to the CsPL, the teams u11 and below dont have a league but will be playing a 4 or 5 festival style weekends with maybe half in Charleston area

I think Coast is the only team in common (at the top level anyway). I would argue the competition is not that similar (outside of one or two teams) but that is opinion.

I like the festival format for U11 and below but knowing most parents, they want games and they want a concrete schedule (preferably yesterday). Unless the rest of the program is done very well and professionally, it will become a problem in the future I think.

#175351 - 08/07/18 05:59 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

SC United is not in C'sPL?

#175352 - 08/07/18 09:11 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: scsoccerfan123D]
EastOak961 Offline
Bench

SC United is not in C'sPL?

Their first and second teams are. 3rd and 4th are in the Jim Hudson league.

#175353 - 08/07/18 10:10 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

Ah. I saw that it was SCU purple and then expanded to 2 teams: Premiere I and Premiere II. Didn't know what the names meant.

#175356 - 08/09/18 08:22 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

Festival days for SCYSA Coastal league are:
September 8
September 15
September 22
October 13
November 3

Jim Hudson to be announced later today

#175357 - 08/09/18 09:54 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
JenFal89 Offline
Bench

I saw that yesterday and I don't like the idea that there are 3 dates in September and only one in October (which our team can't make anyway due to tournament schedule).

#175358 - 08/09/18 10:50 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

The mixed bag of more travel, higher costs and schedule conflicts are going to be the new norm for all with the clubs split into two statewide leagues instead of 2 regional leagues. Certainly not good for the growth of the sport in the state.

#175359 - 08/09/18 11:32 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
scsoccerfan123D Offline
Throw In

USAMP was one of the driving forces behind starting the CsPL. There has been much opinionating over whether or not the secrecy surrounding it's formation was meant to keep the SSC/CBSC teams from having games.

Whatever the real reason for the league's exclusivity, October 13 is the weekend of USAMPs Charleston Select shootout so I can see why SCYSA Coastal would assume none of its member teams would be busy that weekend since any team playing in it is directly funding a club that is a root of the headaches.

If you need other tournament options, I'd recommend considering the JIYSC tourny in mid-late November and/or the CBSC tournament later in October.

#175361 - 08/10/18 10:12 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: scsoccerfan123D]
JenFal89 Offline
Bench

I did see this morning the CBSC U11 and under joined the Coastal League. My son plays for MPRD and we were concerned about the lack of teams registered.

#175362 - 08/10/18 10:26 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Yes, Battery teams were posted on the Coastal sites last night. CBSC has an additional U11 team playing in the u12 9v9 Jim Hudson league.

will MPRD be submitting teams, and if so, do you know how many?

#175363 - 08/10/18 10:46 AM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
JenFal89 Offline
Bench

Yes, they are submitting teams. Unfortunately, I only know of my son's team and one other, because I know the coach. As I posted previously we already have an issue with the schedule dates though. Our coach has 2 other teams in the Open League and scheduling was last Sunday so regardless of what tournaments we are in, he has other conflicts. Hopefully it can all be worked out.

#175369 - 08/14/18 01:34 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Shamrock Rovers]
JenFal89 Offline
Bench

Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Yes, Battery teams were posted on the Coastal sites last night. CBSC has an additional U11 team playing in the u12 9v9 Jim Hudson league.

will MPRD be submitting teams, and if so, do you know how many?

MPRD registered 7 teams (1 each in Boys U9-U14 and 1 girls U12 team).

#175471 - 10/01/18 06:04 PM Re: Battery takes over SSC [Re: Alister DeLong]
Shamrock Rovers Offline
Throw In

Went to the parent meeting last night. Main points put out were:

1. CBSC applied to play in the CPL in the spring. Club still feels they were deliberately excluded. If the application is denied, it wasn’t clear what course of action the club would take, but public and grassroots pressure was mentioned.

2. The club currently has 41 teams and 38 coaches.

3. Mentioned that MLS may be changing their development academy process. If so, CBSC will not have to apply, but only meet criterion. Girls will enter ECNL. I did not catch timelines, ages or specifics on this.

4. For kids 12 and under, local play is emphasized, but for u13 and up, out of state travel will be necessary.

5. They are working to improve the fields in Summerville. Will have a timeline in December for the Daniel Island fields. Field ownership is seen as an imperative.

6. A challenge for coaches and parents is to focus on individual development, not team development. The value is in training, not the games. Then talked about how the club works to develop coaches and present curriculum.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >