Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#174714 04/23/18 11:21 AM
S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
I do not know if there is any truth to this, but I was told but two independent sources that several clubs (specifically Cainhoy Athletic, DISA, Mt. Pleasant, GPS NASA, and GPS James Island) plan to leave the SCYSA Coastal league next year and form their own league.

The reason stated was to isolate the new Battery youth club.

I am not sure if this is true, but if so, that would be unfortunate. I don't see how this would be in the best interest of the kids or the sport.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Since our name is in there, I better respond.
As with a lot of rumor, there is an element of truth to this and a healthy measure of nonsense.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Thank you for responding.

I suppose the element of truth is:

http://usclubsoccer.org/2018/04/25/fourt...er-development/

As for the nonsense, I am not sure. Depending on what the Battery does, this may make for a difficult decision for Summerville parents because commute times make other clubs impractical, especially for the younger kids.

I have no idea what this means for us, but right now, it doesn't look good.

Can someone explain the rationale for this? Was SCYSA not acceptable? Was it the Battery? Something else?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Considering 9 of the new clubs aren’t located in Charleston,, I doubt they are really worried about the Battery much at all. That being said, it does look like it effectively cuts the battery out.... at least playing the top teams in each age group. Looks like Battery, Renegades, Charleston FC and Charleston United will all be on the outside looking in.... I do like the fact that clubs are working together. I’ve heard these will run like premier weekends. I can see a lot of positives for that!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
As for rationale,,,Other than Cesa,,,,these are certainly the strongest clubs in the state. I would assume, the wanted to have more competitive games.... not sure... But between these clubs, the certainly have enough field space and players to chart their own path!

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Yes, 1/2 the clubs did not play in the Coastal league. I don't know what this means for some other clubs too, like Sumter, Florence, CRFC.

I know for us, as of right now, it effectively forces us to choose three poor options, 1. Stay with the Battery and maybe not get many quality games, 2. Go to GPS NASA and add another 40-60 minutes of travel time, or 3. Call it quits.

Really stinks for those smaller clubs like Walterboro, but I guess this is the natural evolution to pay to play.

S
Brace
Brace
S
I don’t know about it being a “natural” evolution and moreso just clubs looking to get quality development opportunities for younger players. It’s shocking enough at the names of clubs that have come together to do this, but I’m curious to see how this will go

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Not sure where you are coming from,,, but GPS fields at Cathedral are not but about 10 minutes from SSC. Luckily coming from Summerville, you are going the opposite of traffic. That being said, I do understand long commutes,,, they kind of suck for all involved. My children have an hour commute one way for practice. A full 1/4 of my oldest child's team has over an hour commute. Not saying thats the right way or works for everyone. It is just a choice my family made if my children were to keep progressing in soccer.

I am kind of exited about this change. It wont affect my oldest at all....For my youngest child to have competitive games, his team has had to play up. This will allow the strongest clubs to play their own age and still get good games in.

I agree 100% with sharksfutbol,, the fact that some of these clubs are even working together, lets me believe that development is the priority.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Cainhoy Athletic, SharksFutbol and MySonsDad, thank you for replying.

Yes the drive, at that time of day is about 20 minutes to and another 20 minutes back in added driving time. No one makes it from SSC to Cathedral in 10 minutes, even on Sunday. But that's my personal gripe (or whining, I can admit).

As to why those clubs, its hard to say. The 5 GPS clubs obviously moved as one. Them and any one of the the other major lowcountry clubs and the others have little choice but to also move. Once that happens, others may have been invitation only.

What I don't know is what the Battery (or other clubs such as Beach United, CRFC, Charleston United, Florence, etc...) will do. The Battery have to be careful until May 1 as to what they say and do.

What is the criteria for admission to the new league? Can other clubs join? If development truly is the priority, then I cannot see why any club would be excluded that wished to join (which may in fact be the case, I don't know).

On the one hand, I agree that this is unlikely to have anything to do with Battery. After all, why would they be any more of a threat or issue than GPS?

I must say though, the timing of the announcement, two days after the Battery hold their public forum is odd, but perhaps a coincidence.

It has been known that some of the clubs were upset that Battery took over SSC. I know of one club that also reached out to SSC to merge but was rebuffed because parents thought that SSC kids would be treated as second class citizens. It also believed that the Battery did reach out to some other clubs, but those clubs declined the Battery as well.

Right now, I can only speculate because most people that come here only read and do not add to the discussion. So again, for those that offer your opinion or information. Thank You.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I do appreciate the dialog,,, It has been a long long time since this board has had much banter. If the new league includes everyone,, I dont see how this would be any different from what they already have. I am a little biased, but I am looking forward to a little better competition for my U-little

GPS moved all 6 clubs they control in SC, so that makes up almost half of the membership. I would like to think the clubs have recognized an issue, and decided to address it on their own.

I do think the timing was a coincidence. I hope the battery does well. I think they will pull a few kids from other clubs. But I can see it taking a little while to get it going.I think their biggest issue it going to be finding enough quality coaches.

I have stated in another post,, it would have made a ton of sense for Nasa and SSC to have combined. Nasa's boys teams are clearly much much stronger and SSC's girls teams are clearly stronger. To me, it would have made for a strong overall club.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard