Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
USAMP was one of the driving forces behind starting the CsPL. There has been much opinionating over whether or not the secrecy surrounding it's formation was meant to keep the SSC/CBSC teams from having games.

Whatever the real reason for the league's exclusivity, October 13 is the weekend of USAMPs Charleston Select shootout so I can see why SCYSA Coastal would assume none of its member teams would be busy that weekend since any team playing in it is directly funding a club that is a root of the headaches.

If you need other tournament options, I'd recommend considering the JIYSC tourny in mid-late November and/or the CBSC tournament later in October.

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
U12 is in the Jim Hudson 9v9. They play a statewide schedule to the US Club soccer league (Carolina's Premiere League) with similar competition (including some of the same teams). That schedule comes out in the next week and I believe it will be in a festival weekend format.

I've heard due to the CsPL, the teams u11 and below dont have a league but will be playing a 4 or 5 festival style weekends with maybe half in Charleston area

I did see this morning the CBSC U11 and under joined the Coastal League. My son plays for MPRD and we were concerned about the lack of teams registered.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Yes, Battery teams were posted on the Coastal sites last night. CBSC has an additional U11 team playing in the u12 9v9 Jim Hudson league.

will MPRD be submitting teams, and if so, do you know how many?

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
Yes, they are submitting teams. Unfortunately, I only know of my son's team and one other, because I know the coach. As I posted previously we already have an issue with the schedule dates though. Our coach has 2 other teams in the Open League and scheduling was last Sunday so regardless of what tournaments we are in, he has other conflicts. Hopefully it can all be worked out.

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Yes, Battery teams were posted on the Coastal sites last night. CBSC has an additional U11 team playing in the u12 9v9 Jim Hudson league.

will MPRD be submitting teams, and if so, do you know how many?

MPRD registered 7 teams (1 each in Boys U9-U14 and 1 girls U12 team).

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Went to the parent meeting last night. Main points put out were:

1. CBSC applied to play in the CPL in the spring. Club still feels they were deliberately excluded. If the application is denied, it wasn’t clear what course of action the club would take, but public and grassroots pressure was mentioned.

2. The club currently has 41 teams and 38 coaches.

3. Mentioned that MLS may be changing their development academy process. If so, CBSC will not have to apply, but only meet criterion. Girls will enter ECNL. I did not catch timelines, ages or specifics on this.

4. For kids 12 and under, local play is emphasized, but for u13 and up, out of state travel will be necessary.

5. They are working to improve the fields in Summerville. Will have a timeline in December for the Daniel Island fields. Field ownership is seen as an imperative.

6. A challenge for coaches and parents is to focus on individual development, not team development. The value is in training, not the games. Then talked about how the club works to develop coaches and present curriculum.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
The newsletter came out last night.

"Our Youth Technical Director has introduced a video-based curriculum that is available and monitored by our age group
directors, to ensure that every player in our club is getting the correct information to play this great game of soccer. These video-based sessions are filmed by the Charleston Battery media staff to a very high standard and is another great reason to be partnered with a professional Soccer Club.
Having access to such a feature is not something that any other local club has and as we grow, this service will only get better."

Curious if this unique to CBSC in the Lowcountry. I am not so sure. I would think GPS would have something similar.

Also the club touted their "unique player profiling system." I know SSC did not do this, but do other clubs have their own profile system?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I think GPS franchises/affiliates up north had a player eval template available to coaches for end of year review, but haven't heard if/how they are used by coaches in SC.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I dont know about the player profiling system,, I do know that GPS has a curriculum that they follow. The coaches (at least the paid coaches) have staff development on it weekly. Im not sure about the coaches who arent full-time employees,,, I would assume they have something though. As for evals,,, they have a evaluation template they use,,, it may be hit or miss though.. As one son received an evaluation and the other did not. My friends at CBSC have been impressed with what they have seen so far,, so that sounds like good stuff coming from them.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
We had our last game this weekend, but will continue to practice. That is a departure from the old SSC where the season and practice ended with the last game. On this point, CBSC is backing up their talk by prioritizing player development over the playing of games.

For some of the parents, there was frustration in the results. Competitive for the first half, but changes for player development sake made us less competitive in the second half.

That said, the best team we played, had many more subs, and tactically were superior. They were fast, played with few touches and passed the ball with frequently. They were coached to win, played like it and it showed.

I could certainly see why a parent would be attracted to a team like that. However, I am not sure that that is the best method for player development. It seemed team development was more emphasized. Just my two cents.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard