Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174999 05/18/18 11:01 AM
S
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
S
The possibility (or certainty from a source of mine) of the SCHSL scrapping the 2018-2020 realignment plan and keeping all the regions as is for the next couple of years?

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
Goal
I have heard that. It is based on pending legals matters with a few schools possibly filing suit against the HSL over a certain team being placed in their region.

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
Goal
Goal
Interesting. This would throw everyone for a loop. Region schedules remade. Non Region games possibly moved or lost. Besides B-Cayce, who else has filed a suit against the HSL?

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Yea, I'd guess there would be a lot of upset fall sport coaches, especially football, if this happens and they have to redo their schedules.

Goal
Goal
I know in the last 2 realignments of 2 separate football coaches who were not happy about moving up a classification. They stated the travel was the big issue. They did not complain when it was other teams having to travel but their precious team can't even though they get the weekend to recover while other sports have to play mid-week and still show up and perform the next day in the classroom. Also the more you look at their record previously/opponents and then what they would have to play and it was obvious to see they'd probably rarely win region or be a high seed.

It's one of those situations where we know football is king, but stop being divas about any little change. Be like Berkeley High and take on the big boys. If you're a good coach, you can build a decent program. Not everyone can win a title.

I wonder how other state high school leagues handle their football and other sports.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
eMnAvA:
Other states DON'T!!!!!! They have conferences that may or may not have schools of different sizes, it's based more of geographical location. Then the conference/rivals stay the same regardless of size. Cuts on transportation issues and times during the school week.

Tournament is separate. Let everyone into the tournament in teams sports (not football) and let football base it off something else (power rankings, etc). Seed everyone for the tournament with the top seeds getting a bye. 2 games a week for our contact sport so that bad weather doesn't have teams playing back-to-back in the tournament. State makes more money off tickets sales and tournament games. Everyone wins.

Goal
Goal
From what I have heard, the issue is over a team that is in a higher classification being put into a lower classification. The school from the higher classification has roughly 400-500 more students than the next largest school in the new region. The schools are in reasonable driving distance from each other. I believe each school would have no more than an hour to 1.5 hour drive for their longest road trip.

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
Goal
Goal
Snicklefritz - that's interesting. I started looking at a few different states and it's like you said.

I some times wish each sport could decide how they want to operate but then it could open up so many issues

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
It's not that difficult. (it's also the reason they should have gone to 3 classifications instead of 5. Then in sports like football, basketball, baseball, softball and soccer you could have had 6 state champions and in smaller sports, like lacrosse, have 3). I'm pretty positive that the York county school don't want to have to drive to northern Richland county to play region games when there are going to be 10 schools between York county, Chester HS and Indian Land all within 20 miles in a couple years (remember with Rock Hill was in a region with Spring Valley, Blythewood, etc and not with Northwestern!!!). Spartanburg, Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, etc would all be able to do it and it would really help with travel during the week (which affects every sport including football if you look at sub-varsity teams). It allows the development of local rivalries that aren't affected by tournament divisions.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard