Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Speaking only for myself, I find it ironic that some feel the 'A' teams have a possible plausible 'complaint' and understandable reason to move elsewhere, while lesser teams should be happy.

I'd suggest its the starter and novice teams that fare the worst under coastal league setup and history. In our case, pretty much every complaint raised over the last 5-7 years of Coastal was targeted at lower divisions and that team experience.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
I can't argue as I am lacking a lot of background info. I can only say what appears to be what SCYSA would hope would happen in the Coastal league. Like I said, it may not practical. Also, the clubs may want to make a clean break.

There are a lot of unknowns.

For example, was every club in the Coastal offered the join the new league?

If not, were they identified as part of the problem?

Why didn't the Sandlapper league have the same statement/issue from SCYSA?

Is that league run markedly different?

Why did other clubs from outside the Coastal join the new league?

Is the new league as inclusive as the Coastal?

If not, what is the standard to enter?

There are plenty more.

Speaking only for myself, there are a lot of unanswered questions. I know many parents left clubs they were happy with and moved because of this new league. Those same parents don't have any more answers than I. They pay a lot of money for their child to have the best, right experience.

I do not believe that the reasons for these decisions have been fully transparent, forthright and effectively communicated. I do think that given the trust and money parents are giving a club to ensure what is in their child's best interest, they deserve complete and thorough answers.

So far, the answers I have seen have been mainly projected as generalities with few specifics on the reasons.

Pretty much: "Hey, we are joining a new league. Its really great for your kids. Here's the link that explains more about it."

Parent: "What was wrong with the old league?"

Response: "They didn't respond to our needs,...wasn't as good for development,...wouldn't listen to us..."

These are vague non-answers. Perhaps I have missed it, but I have not seen a clubs official statement as to why they entered the new league and also, what their specific criticisms of the previous league were and those issue could/would not be resolved.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
The only complaint I heard about Coastal was from a coach that said Coastal/SCYSA wouldn't do the league scheduling. Do you know what other needs?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
There were also plenty of non-competitive games that my child played, but almost all of those teams are in this new league. When my child's team played these other teams (from the Sandlapper league?) in tournaments, those games were still non-competitive.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I don’t know that the clubs had to provide specifics for the decision to form a new league. The CPL was advertised and it seems celebrated by those clubs weeks before tryouts. Parents ultimately were able to decide if they wanted to be a part of the new league based on where they accepted a position.

For selfish reasons, I am very excited about the new league. My sons coach, coached multiple teams. Because of the schedules, he had to decide weekly which games he could attend. The previous scheduled worked for a coach that only had 1 team, but not for coaches with multiple teams.

I also think it’s important that the clubs are the ones in charge. I appreciate what the state association had done, but my son’s club are the ones with their boots on the ground working with the kids. Hopefully they are better able to make decisions about development than any association.. Again, this philosophy may not work for all.... but ultimately as a parent, I decide where I write the checks and which system I think fits for my guys!

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Perhaps, but I don't think is good for the overall game or development in the state.

For example, if you live in Walterboro, do you have a viable pathway to play and develop? Walterboro itself will never likely be big or 'competitive'. However, now those kids either drive a long way, on school nights, to play or they don't play at all because what league will they enter if the Coastal goes away?

How does that scenario benefit anyone? Keep in mind that Walterboro is just one example. Pawleys Island is another (CoastFA or bust now). The little guys have been squeezed out. 8 of the 14 clubs belong to two umbrella organizations.

Certainly the clubs don't HAVE explain or provide specifics, but is this really about scheduling? I think there is more to it than that. I have my suspicions, but that is all.

I also don't know how well it was advertised. I can't understand why other clubs didn't join if they knew (unless they weren't invited/allowed).

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Trust me, I get what you are saying about distance... my kids live farther out than Walterboro,,, they have long car rides to see anything other than corn fields. But we chose to live where we do and still support their athletics... Ironicaly, I know that in my oldest sons age group, that there are kids from Pawleys playing for usamp, Battery and Gps next season.

We have friends at SSC and you and l probably run in the same circles,,,, I’ve had a few of them mention a “conspiracy” to me. I don’t have an answer to that... it does seem a little far fetched that 14 clubs from all over the state would work together for the whole goal of stopping the battery from developing..

S
Brace
Brace
S
If a kid from Walterboro wants to get better & there’s nothing locally that will give him that opportunity for whatever reason, how is that the league’s responsibility? Because as good as that kid may be at some point he will reach a development peak @ Walterboro just because of his location. That’s like kids that go to a DA program from Greenville or Charleston.......certain players will just reach the peak in their area & will have to make a decision as to how they want to continue their development. I’m all for giving every kid a chance an a path, but I also realize that some kids can compete on an ECNL or an RPL team & others might barely survive open league. You can’t appease everyone, but you have to do whatever Best helps your club achieve its overall goal.

As for CPL, a lot of clubs were unhappy with the coastal league for years before CBSC was even a thought. That you gavevrival clubs joining forces to start this new, alternative pathway should give you some idea that, st done pony during these decisions, the development of players was in mind. I have no inside info on what all was said to leave the coastal league, so I can’t feed into the conspiracy theory you’ve been floating out here about this being a power move against CBSC. All I know is that competition usually makes things bettrrr and elevated the quality & im hopeful that is the case here

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
Here is the full list. The CBSC takes over the spots given to SSC.

https://usy345.americaneagle.com/assets/962/15/SCSCL%20F2018%20(SCYS)%20Application%201.pdf

Coach, can you get an update to this? It seems as though there are quite a few changes since this was created. Hearing lots of moves

Goal
Goal
I have not seem an updated list yet. I think teams had until June 15th to apply so I am guessing a new list will be sent out in the next week or so.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard