Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
We were on a team that tried to get out of both and had to do/pay for both. It made for a bad soccer experience.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I assume 2 of those tournaments are the GPS tournaments?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Not comparing it to the two USAMP tournies. GPS tournies are 1/2 the cost and likely better competition.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
My oldest did: 1) NASA preseason, 2) Ohio supercup, 3) Casl (or whatever it’s called now). 4) Lexington 5) Jefferson Cup and will do 6) state cup....

Over the summer they typically do 2 out of state tourneys...there is an extra cost with these

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Lexington and Ohio are the GPS tournaments? Did they do the GPS Florida tournament this winter?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
NASA did send teams to the Florida tourney... my son’s team went there last year. Lexington and Ohio are both gps as well. In years past they have done the discoveries tournaments,,,,, which are technically gps as well.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I'm not sure what age group your kids play but at what point are you worried about your kids getting burnt out? Playing 6-8 tournaments, 8-10 league games, summer futsal, winter futsal, camps...
I've been coaching older players for several years now and the amount of kids that get to their junior/senior year and are burnt out is alarming. I've seen so many kids lose the love of the game because it's been forced down their throat for so many years.
I think clubs are so scared that kids are going to leave and go to another one that they try to keep them busy and committed all year round instead of letting them be kids.

I've heard so many parents talk about how tired they are from all the time and travel....I wonder if they have stopped to think about how their kid feels?

Just my 2 cents.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Coach,
I think that is a very valid point, and one that I cant argue with. Right now enjoys spending the time with his soccer friends and doesn't have any aspirations of playing college/ professional soccer. We always turn the tourney weekends into mini vacations. My oldest has played in 9 different states and Europe,,, so we have all seen places together that we otherwise would not have. So we have enjoyed it from that perspective.
I guess when he is done,,, he will be done. It has basically been a really expensive hobby...lol

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I completely understand it. People always talk about how nice Asheville is and I always tell them I've been there 4 or 5 times and the view from the soccer field is very nice.

This "expensive hobby" brought me so life lessons and experiences that it's hard to put a value on. I went to college in Aiken and lived with guys from Grenada, Bahamas, Trinidad and Uganda... in Aiken SC. I would have never imagined that in my wildest dreams.

I'm not saying there is a right way or wrong way and every player is a case by case situation.

I like the vision of my current club with only playing two tournaments and the focus being on training and development. Once again, not saying it's the right or wrong way to do it.

I have enjoyed the conversation, even though I don't post much. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
I'm not sure what age group your kids play but at what point are you worried about your kids getting burnt out? Playing 6-8 tournaments, 8-10 league games, summer futsal, winter futsal, camps...
I've been coaching older players for several years now and the amount of kids that get to their junior/senior year and are burnt out is alarming. I've seen so many kids lose the love of the game because it's been forced down their throat for so many years.
I think clubs are so scared that kids are going to leave and go to another one that they try to keep them busy and committed all year round instead of letting them be kids.

I've heard so many parents talk about how tired they are from all the time and travel....I wonder if they have stopped to think about how their kid feels?

Just my 2 cents.

QFT

Have two sons. First one tried a bunch of sports but did not like competition nor contact. Joined the band. Great kid with great grades.

Second one has loved soccer from the beginning, but we take the summer off. Winter, he has his choice, plays futsal but no practice, just the games. Wanted to play basketball this winter.

Used to coach HS many years ago, and I too have seen really good players walk away from the game. it wasn't fun anymore.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard