Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
S
Brace
Brace
S
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
Last year coaches at the GPS, Cainhoy and USAMP actively engaged in "where will you play" threats to the kids and parents. Our experience with the training and communication continues to be far better than when we were at those clubs, so not being in the league doesn't bother me as much as the grown men putting their love of their youth soccer patches above that of the local kids and parents. Again, driven out of fear of the shortcomings in their own product.

Unless they decide about Fall 2019 before the end of April, they wont be able to threaten kids with that this year.

I can confirm this happened as well with at 2/3 of the clubs mentioned. This certainly looked like a pre-emotive and calculated move then, and more so now. The kids on our team personally experienced and we lost a couple. One did say if the Battery got a DA team, they be back though.

Coach G, I hope you are right. I also hope that those decisions are made before parents are asked to choose where to play. One of those clubs mentioned above used a ‘hard sell’ tactic giving only 24 hours after evals to commit or risk losing your spot. That’s cold.

I can’t speak for any club but the one I work in & we didn’t have those tactics. We also aren’t in a super competitive area like Charleston. Regardless, I don’t ageee with that tactic of trying to keep players.

Agreed Shamrock. Hopefully the league will have made & publish their decision of any changes regarding clubs before tryout season. Until coach then, let’s continue the banter 😁

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Ouch, sorry for delay, just dusting myself off a bit...

For 123D...

If ever I said teams couldn't join CPL because of set schedules, I do not recall. Furthermore if I did, I must be wrong (and certainly not the first time) since we asked for some changes between fall and spring. In fact as I have said numerous times, I will not say anything about league policy or decision making we do not own (i.e not CASC) so would be surprised if I did say that.

You are correct our messaging does not run through a DOC 'per se'. Important (administrative) messaging at our club runs through team managers and coaches (usually from Board/President) and in this case (summer 2018 CPL messaging) was well shared through in-person meetings in local hotel/watering holes and internal FAQ / written material to help those in team leadership roles share information with their families what was changing. And why CASC had opted to join the CPL for our Junior Academy program (about 40% membership).

Again I apologize if any of these folks jumped to threats or falsehoods directed at other clubs or holding hostage players. Our FAQ even included advice to refer folks to their current leadership if asked by external parties about 'foreign' clubs and what they were doing (we tried to make the point its not our business).

On nonprofit/volunteer. My point was that our fee structure limits what we can, and do provide to our membership. Sorry for conflating IRS and State reporting definitions with that point. All I was trying to say is that other clubs have better administrative support than we do and willingly cede that.

If you want to discuss anything else about our club or policies, feel free to reach out privately. It is certainly not for everyone, but we feel we have a market or need to serve that is looking for lower cost option with access to quality competition but to do that, we have to sacrifice a few things, usually seen or done better at other organizations. Please don't try and compare us to USA/MP, CESA, SCUFC, DSC, CBSC, etc. simply apples and oranges.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Thanks for clarification.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
To confirm then, all Cainhoy coaches are are volunteer? If so, I'll help to stop the rumor that some coaches of the "better" teams at Cainhoy are compensated.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Its not about better or worse. Its about age/level of play.

Our club budgets and staffs differently at different levels.

Micro Academy teams are all volunteers (U4-U8)

Junior Academy teams are coached by volunteer team coaches, but augmented by professional staff once per week.
Sometimes we find ourselves short of qualified volunteers and do on rare occasion underwrite a coach to take a group of players who would otherwise be turned away (but these circumstances are pretty rare and we pay a pittance)

Premier Program (U13-U18) are coached by professional coaches (paid).
In reality, many of these coaches are also happy to volunteer and offer what stipend we budget toward team fees, tournies, additional equipment, etc to help offset parent costs

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
To illustrate my point above (about better or worse), our lowest level U13/U14 team in Coastal league will receive the same amount ($) as our highest performing Challenge team.

All our coaches require the same level of licensing (by rule) as any other club operating under the various sanctioning bodies and CASC also compensates our coaches for any in person or National D license education taken. Our product is as much about developing future coaches and entering into competitive levels, as it is about helping players take that next step.

While at it, we also compensate or pay for referee classes from time to time for members wanting to take the grade 8/9 class to help shore up population of this vital body.

Most this information is laid out on our website under the various Program tabs. Look in the training section - guess no one reads that and people always amaze me how they generally assume the worse. Please do help by pointing folks to our website and program descriptions to help set a correct understanding.

We also compensate specialty trainers and coaches for niche classes/clinics like goalkeeping and other directed clinics delivered from time to time. These are always highly qualified and experienced coaches with Pro, club and High School backgrounds (on a par or better than many other clubs I'd say).

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
To sum:
Age 3-7 =volunteer coach
Age 7-12 =volunteer coach
Age 12+ =not volunteer coach

I'll say not having paid coaches from 3-11 is a good deal for folks looking to keep costs down and don't want to utilize MPRD.

It's tough for parents to tell from any club what the actual costs are from their website(incl Cainhoy) except for those that give a generic sample of costs(e.g. club fees + XYZ league fees + 12 games of referee + 1 home tourny + 1 away tourny + coaches fee) and include all fees associated with that generic sample.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
* plus kit(s) fees

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Slight correction, but in general fair summary (like I said website should explain this well enough)
Age 3-7 =volunteer coach
Age 7-12 =volunteer coach + professional tech training
Age 12+ =not volunteer coach

Also agree with commentary on full disclosure of pricing. This is the hard part and one where your parents may have a different experience from team to team with us.

We chose to separate fixed and variable costs very early and will continue to do so.

Rationale is that two teams may have very different expectations or aspirations for their players. Some might be satisfied with 1-2 tournaments a season/year and others may want 3 or 4.
Similarly league entry fees vary by age/parent org/level of competition, etc., and ref fees dramatically change by age and level of competition (1 or 3 man crews, number of games, etc.)
Have to imagine that is the same at every club. Some teams will want, or qualify for more tournaments and even scrimmages. Doubt any organization would restrict all teams to the exact same schedule but OK for them, if they do. We will not, we like to give our coaches/teams choice.

We are not generally a business, and so as such do not promote camps, clinics, etc or host/offer futsal or tournaments as these are all often vehicles used to drive more, and year round income for those operations that need it. So we do not ask or urge teams to enter any tournaments, but instead leave that decision entirely up to each team. The entry cost for these can vary, not to mention travel expectations, etc.

Good point on uniforms. We have a 2 year rotation and work with Lloyd's soccer each cycle to provide a reasonably prices outfit, and skip all the non-essentials. For the last 3 rotations we have also worked hard at club level to provide sponsors for all warm up/training jerseys at no cost to families. I have heard our ask for uniforms is about a third of two other local operations.

At the very heart of our operating cost model is an expectation that Junior Academy/Premier program children contribute exactly the same to the club at every level for fixed costs (largest being rents and landscaping). Every child contributes the same regardless of age or level. What changes in cost between these two programs is the amount budgeted for training/coaches and for Junior Academy, league (CPL) fees are included where as we exclude for U13+ as the (SCYS) State League entry fees vary a lot depending on level.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
This blurb below is how we try and help explain costs when inviting players to join in May, 2018. This is one example for a U13 age group targeting SCSCL play.
We also add similar messaging to the actual registration process so that no one registers online without some warning that additional costs will come.

The more I think about it, thanks for your concern, we might see if we can do better in this regard for next year (on our website) to provide a little more help upfront.

Anyway, this may help understand what you will expect to pay for a top level Statewide team with us.

------------------
Dear Parents

You can now register online and finalize your application for the 2018/19 soccer year.

A note about fees, club costs and team (individual) costs.

I trust you will recognize the value we offer in this regard, but like to be as transparent as possible about all the likely costs ahead of you.

CLUB FEES upon registration include

$75 annual registration - covers administration, insurance, and SCYS pass through costs

$275 per season (fall and spring) club fees - covers rents, landscaping, and coaching stipend

You can pay this in one go ($625) upfront, or in two installments ($350 now and $275 in January).

You can select payment plan on checkout.

TEAM FEES

We will collect these later and will include team specific costs for league entry fee, Coach travel expenses, and referee fees - split evenly for all players (budget ~ $100)

TOURNAMENT FEES

We will likely enter two (2) tournies per season (one local and one out of town). These cost $40-$50 each plus travel (for out of town)

UNIFORM

Cost of our uniform package runs around $130 each (includes home and away kit and good for 2 years)

Good news is that CASC will secure sponsors to provide us a free training jersey

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard