Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
All,

Can someone correct me if I am wrong as I know you are all aware of the new 24 total JV / 26 total varsity game maximum, but strikes me a little odd about when now scheduling to include tournaments, that you have to essentially legislate for your team making the final of every tournament you enter. So you need to be very clear of the format and seeing as many have the standard 3 group game, 1 semi and 1 final, then you are adding potentially 10 to your schedule. However, if you don't make it past the group stage, then you are down 4 games for that season ( assuming 2 tournaments) that you could have scheduled before and not gone to that tournament. Its a shame because I feel that many coaches will perhaps forego the tournament option in the future in favor of guaranteed games which many use for fundraising. Have I got this wrong? Just thinking out loud here.

I know we were at 24 max last year PLUS 2 tournaments and so perhaps the jump to 26 was to mitigate this but doesn't account for most tournaments having a semi and a final. Not a big deal perhaps but certainly does make a dent in scheduling, especially to the regions who already have an 8 team region and are already at 14 games off the bat. Two tournaments and your JV is already done. Non region opponents are great for getting playoff looks and a different test than what you already know year after year.

Might come to like it after this year but initial thoughts are that I'm not a big fan.

Any thoughts from the crowd ?

Throw In
Throw In
Also not a fan, mainly for the points you brought up already.

I don't understand the intent here particularly with the tournaments. Does the SCHSL just not understand how soccer tournaments work? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I imagine there could be teams looking to pickup more games mid-season/late-season, which could cause a bit of chaos for referee assignments.

Also a consideration in the region schedule debate is how tough your region schedule actually is. If it's a bit lackluster, the loss of tougher non-region games is a bit underwhelming at best.

C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
Good points also David. Scrambling for a game mid season isn't fun at all but this rule could encourage that.

My apologies, I meant that we were at 18 plus tournaments last season. The tournaments I enter are both 5 game maxes. I like a pre season tourney and one during Spring break ( Nike Palmetto cup ) to keep us rolling and that is potentially 10 games.

Probably going to have to drop one for the 1st time next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard