Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Kudos to you for taking on this. I am interested to see how the battery develops. Certainly not to bash the good people over at SSC, but unfortunately they are a shell of what they once were. They have a ton of talent that started there, now playing for other clubs all over the lowcountry.....I really think you hit the nail on the head, when you compared to a high priced ymca club. I never thought of it that way,,, but you are 100% correct.

I am curious as to why the battery chose to start with the 05's at the Dallas Cup. With GPS and USAMP both offering the best 2 05 teams in the area and both already playing premier, it might be difficult to put together a tournament team that will be competitive at Dallas. The summerville 05's aren't even competitive in Classic. This should be interesting to see how it all turns out. I am a big fan of improving soccer overall in the lowcountry, so I really hope this takes off!

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
I could be wrong, but I believe Dallas Cup team is open to players beyond SSC.

Thank you for the kind response. I want to reiterate that I believe the staff at SSC are terrific people and I know they have poured their time and energy into soccer with little thanks.

Like you alluded to though, SSC has been bleeding players (I believe over 100 to GPS NASA alone).

I want to believe this is step in the right direction.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I think they have lost players to clubs all over,, but especially to GPS. Supposedly they had to dissolve their top 06 team because 3/4ths of the team left at Christmas.. It is just not a sustainable business model. I hope the Battery is able to make improvements in that area for sure. I still wonder why the Battery chose to send an 05 team to Dallas though.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
The 05 team going to the Dallas Cup is open to any player from any club. Not just current SSC players.

The 06 team was doomed from the start. The person that was supposed to coach, went through tryouts and selected the team but then decided to go elsewhere and take his son with him. That would be hard for any team, at any club, to recover from.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
The Battery held their information meeting last night. Not a lot of new info came out, but these are the highlights:

The Directors role will increase but will not be coaching a team.

Coaches will be required to attend monthly training meetings.

Player profiles will be established and each player will have an assessment meeting with the coach and director at the end of the season.

The director made it clear his role is to develop players for the Battery and Fleet. That is his primary mission.

An important development is that the Battery announced that have cleared land on Daniel Island. This should be playable in October. Should hold 4-6 fields.

Additionally, the Battery have secured an agreement with Shipyard Parks in the Mt. Pleasant/Cainhoy area. These fields are artificial turf.

Summerville will eventually have some turf fields. No timeline available.

Pricing is in line with other clubs.

A season ticket to Battery games will be given to each player.

A player development academy will be created. Once approved, that team (u-13?) will play against similar teams. Other organizations already having these teams include the Pittsburg Riverhounds, Richmond Kickers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and Atlanta United.

Thee was a fairly large crowd gathered. If I missed anything and anyone else was there, please feel free to add.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Just received today. Mercedes as a sponsor is sweet.

We are excited to launch this long-term youth soccer project in the Lowcountry! We encourage children and their parents to attend as many different club tryouts as they wish and select the club that’s the best fit for the player and family - please ask questions!

We are pleased to announce Mercedes Benz Vans as our first youth club sponsor - more details to follow!

Furthermore, we understand there have been a few announcements regarding the various leagues in the Charleston area - rest assured we have been working closely with all youth soccer governing bodies, including both the SCYSA (Coastal League) and US Club Soccer (Carolina’s Premier League) in order to find the most appropriate games program for each team and players. We are also working with similar-minded professional soccer organizations (such as Atlanta United, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and Richmond Kickers) to provide the appropriate games program for those players who desire and have the potential to perform at the highest level, be that via the USSF Development Academy or ECNL.

Finally, every player who attends our tryouts will receive a complimentary ticket to our upcoming doubleheader featuring the Charleston Battery and Charleston Fleet at MUSC Health Stadium on May 19. Come experience the highest level of soccer in the state of South Carolina.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Several current Battery players on the list. Don't know if they can coach but they will have an appeal. Dante in particular is very popular.

Jr. Academy:

2010 Boys (U9)
Randy Dahlmann
Chris Jones
Mike Kelleher
Jason Winn

2009 Boys (U10)
Jay Bolt
Jarad van Schaik
Elias Villagomez

2008 Boys (U11)
Joe Begley
Christian Michner
Skylar Thomas

2007 Boys (U12)
Sebastian Davis
Taylor Mueller
Gregg Russ

2010 Girls (U9)
Chris Cook
Megan Jones
Al Loli

2009 Girls (U10)
Taryn Floyd
Michelle Wilson
Dante Marini

2008 Girls (U11)
Chris Cook
John Slick
Nico Rittmeyer

2007 Girls (U12)
Doug Kifer
Mike Petry
Ian Svantesson

Charleston Battery Soccer Club is please to announce our coaching list for the 2018-2019 season. Our staff is full of highly qualified coaches, locally experienced coaches and current and former professional players, who will all work under the direction of our Youth Technical Director, Derek Broadley.

As teams form, coaches will be assigned based on our age specific pools.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
It doesn't specify the $, but I am curious how much improvement they can make and how it is allocated. Major efforts mentioned are prepping the new Daniel Island fields, turf at summerville and improving lighting. Announcement:

Charleston Battery Soccer Club has added Mercedes- Benz Vans, LLC (MBV) as the organization’s founding partner.

The partnership includes signage at the youth facilities and MUSC Health Stadium, special opportunities for Mercedes-Benz Vans employees, and use of the youth facility for corporate events and functions. Charleston Battery Youth Soccer Club will use the funds from the sponsorship to make improvements to its facilities in Summerville, Daniel Island and future site locations.

“We’re very excited about the partnership with Mercedes-Benz Vans,” said Charleston Battery chairman Eric Bowman. “The founding partnership will allow us to make much-needed upgrades to our youth facilities all over Charleston which will provide a better overall experience for young players in the area. We’ve been big proponents of supporting local business since the professional Club started in 1993 and we’re thrilled to be able to continue that with the youth club.”

Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC is a plant in North Charleston, South Carolina that assembles Sprinter vans for the U.S. market under the brands Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner. Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC announced in March 2015 that it will invest $500 million in construction of a new Sprinter production plant, in addition to an expansion of existing operations. In July 2016, MBV officially broke ground on the site of its new plant, .and the plant is expected to open in the second half of 2018. The MBV facility will provide up to 1,300 jobs by the end of the decade, and interested candidates can apply at www.MBVcharleston.com/career.

"As our operations in Charleston expand, so does our involvement with the local community, “ said Michael Balke, President & CEO of Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC. “One of our focus areas for community engagement is health and wellness, and we hope this partnership inspires our community’s children to get active through the game of soccer.”

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Based on preliminary observations, eval turnouts for the Battery have been very positive in Mt Pleasant but underwhelming in Summerville. I know of several kids that were trying out at two different clubs.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
You think it’s the distance?

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard