Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
So annually: 625 + 200 + 100 + $65 = ~$990 for a u13 SCSCL team playing 2 tournies. Thats a straight forward way for parents to understand costs.

Are there other teams that have higher paid coaching that would make the price increase?

Are there some teams that practice more than 2 nights a week that would make the price increase?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
That pricing is what I would describe as rack rate or MSRP. Would need to offset any team sponsorship dollars available, or team fundraising efforts but yes, the math looks right.

Also need to consider whether any club scholarships/aid are in play. We have an honor system in that regard (if you need help, ask and we'll offer without undue scrutiny).

'Are there other teams that have higher paid coaching that would make the price increase?'

Not at club level. All teams/coaches are paid the same based on a very simple (player based) algorithm

'Are there some teams that practice more than 2 nights a week that would make the price increase?'

Possibly I guess, most caches I know (including myself) would not ask for additional dollars for adding extra activities or off-season sessions, etc. But it is possible some might (as a 'private' enterprise) or add soccer training beyond CASC interest (like winter/summer futsal) that could drive up costs at a team/individual level. I'd like to better understand this line of questioning as it does raise an internal alarm bell. If you know of a specific case where the family is unhappy, I strongly encourage you to have them reach out to me.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I'm just trying to understand costs associated with playing at different clubs.

I'll take a stab at some other local ones based on what I've experienced and/or friends have. Those clubs can hopefully respond for sake of clarity as you have. Thanks for your willingness to do so.

When you say "At the club level", what does that mean? Individual teams can pay more for coaches, but that's on a team by team basis?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
It is not unheard of in the soccer world to have 'maverick' coaches or individuals try and profit outside of club managed compensation and fee structure. I'd describe this privateering as suspect and/or malevolent if simply increasing an hourly or base pay activity (nickle and dime). Why I smelled a rat with line of questioning.

I know of two examples in our club history where this happened (these coaches are now elsewhere in 'better' clubs).

If they are providing additional services and effort to the team beyond what is negotiated and understood (in registration), then like I said above it might happen at team level and would likely warrant additional fees.

What I mean is that we (CASC) pay the exact same amount per player to each coach in U13+ regardless of divisional placement. In the same way we charge or expect the exact same fees for club operations.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Sounds good.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
GPS has different prices depending on the age and level of the team... The 05/06 age group was the most expensive. $1225 for the year. That covers registration, coaches fees, futsal training 1 night a week at EFC, winter futsal league fees in the EFC league and tournament fees (up to 4 tournaments).....

Uniform was probably $200 ish for new player. Much cheaper for a returning player.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
For clarity's sake on my own part, I had no idea about your past coaching issues. They should not have done that if they knew it was against club rules. Happy to hear that you stood firm on your principles.

That said, did the parents find value in their extra pay? Of so, did they communicate that and/or followed the coaches to the new club? Again, don't know what happened but hope it worked out ok for the parents & kids.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Just like players, coaches don't always work out for respective clubs. Each have their own motivation, and in our case, I think it fair to say at least some parents felt it was a 'bait and switch' based on information I received and felt unduly pressured to pony up at quite an intimate level.

Whether they follow or not usually is the result of group thinking more than individual choice. If a coach moves from any club, they generally attract at least a core of existing players (and why there are strict rules about that in place from SCYS and CPL). But once a few leave, it usually means a team disbands, the lights come on and the team departs like cockroaches in the light.

There is an old maxim in this world that goes something like "you get what you pay for" and in general I would agree with that sentiment with one exception, and that is with a volunteer or person willing to work for less than the going market rate. Our success at a team level within our club usually isn't tied to the most expensive coach. Ironically we often pay professionals to take our lower level teams as those are the teams that are typically hardest to staff with qualified volunteers.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
CBSC junior academy has A flat fee. No extras for tournaments (2 per season), coaches room, team fees. Just one flat fee plus unis

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Let me tell you why we decided fixed price was a poor decision and opted to split variable and largely fixed costs in our fee structure. While I cede it certainly appears easy and direct, it is also a vehicle to increase revenue and margin when applied to items that are not alike.

For exmple, let's take Junior Academy as a talking point. This is typically comprised of U8 - U12 age groups and covers two major partitions in player development (7v7 and 9v9)

U8-U10 operate on smaller fields with single referee. The variable costs are less all around (league, tournament and referee).

U11-U12 jumps to three (3) man ref crew and while rosters do increase (by two) this does not fully offset the individual cost increase. League entry and Tourament costs rise over these age groups in addition to referees.

What does this all mean? Naturally U8-U10 pay more than they should or U11 - U12 pay less or a little bit of both. Or both pay more/less depending on other club costs and motive.

Reminds me of a recent example where I was over at our futsal location talking to the owner, and watching 7-8 Varsity aged volleyball girls training with 2-3 coaches in an entire gym in prime location. Knowing the cost of the facilities (in prime time and location) and player to coach ratio, I mused out loud to the owner that they must be paying a lot of cash to support that setup. He replied "Should have been here an hour ago, the 40+ 10-12 year olds are paying it."

Next problem with fixed price is variable offsets like team fundraising, donations, and club sponsors. It is not uncommon for teams to offset many of the variable costs with sponsorship or fundraising (raising thousands). Even at a club level we attract sponsors and return funds directly to our membership through uniform items and scholarships to directly reduce their burden (on additional cost). I'd be quite honestly shocked if we have more than 5% that didn't cover some part, or all of their variable/team costs.

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard