Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Believe so, but will look into it. Is there a hierarchical fee scale for GPS?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Yeah,, I think its $150-200 cheaper for white and black teams.. was just curious

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
Let me tell you why we decided fixed price was a poor decision and opted to split variable and largely fixed costs in our fee structure. While I cede it certainly appears easy and direct, it is also a vehicle to increase revenue and margin when applied to items that are not alike.

For exmple, let's take Junior Academy as a talking point. This is typically comprised of U8 - U12 age groups and covers two major partitions in player development (7v7 and 9v9)

U8-U10 operate on smaller fields with single referee. The variable costs are less all around (league, tournament and referee).

U11-U12 jumps to three (3) man ref crew and while rosters do increase (by two) this does not fully offset the individual cost increase. League entry and Tourament costs rise over these age groups in addition to referees.

What does this all mean? Naturally U8-U10 pay more than they should or U11 - U12 pay less or a little bit of both. Or both pay more/less depending on other club costs and motive.

Reminds me of a recent example where I was over at our futsal location talking to the owner, and watching 7-8 Varsity aged volleyball girls training with 2-3 coaches in an entire gym in prime location. Knowing the cost of the facilities (in prime time and location) and player to coach ratio, I mused out loud to the owner that they must be paying a lot of cash to support that setup. He replied "Should have been here an hour ago, the 40+ 10-12 year olds are paying it."

Next problem with fixed price is variable offsets like team fundraising, donations, and club sponsors. It is not uncommon for teams to offset many of the variable costs with sponsorship or fundraising (raising thousands). Even at a club level we attract sponsors and return funds directly to our membership through uniform items and scholarships to directly reduce their burden (on additional cost). I'd be quite honestly shocked if we have more than 5% that didn't cover some part, or all of their variable/team costs.

Fair, but after seeing both, I am happy There is far less desire on the part of parents trying to seek certain teams within an age group or moving up etc... because one team, by virtue of their coach, offers more.

Speaking only at Junior Academy, everyone pays that flat fee. Every kid gets the same amount of training time, tournaments, etc... I believe this mitigates some infighting. This is not to say what is happening at CA isn't working, but relative to SSC, which was similar in system to CA, and CBSC, the system seems better.

Also, that may not be due to the flat fee. As for the cost, CBSC's price was a surprise, however, with the emphasis at the Junior Academy of supporting local tournaments, we saved money vs. years past with travel costs.

In some ways, CA, and clubs like it, take the approach of trusting the coaches to do what is in the best interest of the club, team and player. Occasionally, that might not happen, as CA also pointed out earlier.

CBSC is more top down. They have publicly stated they are looking to develop players for the Senior team. Therefore, their approach is different. Neither better or worse IMHO.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Speaking of local tournaments....saw the list for the Battery tournament so far... seems like it has grown. That is good!

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
Speaking of local tournaments....saw the list for the Battery tournament so far... seems like it has grown. That is good!

Had not realized. Knew it would difficult to get local clubs with CPL playing that day. Saw some CA teams though, which is great!

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
It is better in some ages than others. Definitely an issue that there are 2 local tournaments on the same weekend.

It is a shame that one of the local clubs needs 2 spring tournaments. Not sure if that is ego driven or out of financial desperation.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
As CA said, USAMP forces their teams to play both tournaments, another way to raise money from local parents.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Hard to blame them if it is working. Their tournaments are usually well run and well supported in my experience. The CPL schedule really helps the participating clubs that host tournaments because their blackout dates correspond. As long as they continue to get other non-CPL clubs for the sake of diversity, I see no reason for them to change.

I know for CBSC, the plan was to play in their own tournament and one outside one per season. For the younger kids, the Director felt there were plenty of local clubs to provide a sufficient game experience and that he thought it important to support those. I have not heard where my kids second tournament will be yet.

Just out of curiosity, besides JI and SSC/CBSC, what other Charleston area have historically hosted tournaments?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
At one point, our league actually hosted end of season tournaments locally with the help of the member clubs. Usually piggy backing on existing events at JI and SSC (fall and spring).
Then MP put one on mid season and everyone happy (with 2 good local options and no conflicts at these events that were tailored for lower/mid level talent)

As more competitive events were added with focus on higher level, etc. this got really messy and lines blurred.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Shame that it morphed into MP putting on 2 mid season low/mid level events.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard