Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#175815 02/04/19 02:19 PM
S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
When did they end the rec requirement for soccer clubs in SC?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
By 'they' I assume you mean SCYS, and the '60/40' rule applied around 2011/12.

I'm not aware of that ending and certainly is still part of the club application consideration (see item 5): http://www.scysa.org/scysa_admin/how_to_become_a_club

I do know they have granted time for clubs to meet that requirement, although I'm not sure how many did meet it, or what happened when they didn't.
I'd refer you to SCYS administration and/or leadership for full insight.

For clubs in existence prior to the rule, these were grandfathered in and not under its direction or authority.

I feel this is a hard rule to apply consistently as it unfairly applies to clubs in different parts of the State differently. For example, in the low-country, municipalities like City of Charleston and Town of Mount Pleasant run the broader rec programs while in some other areas, Clubs partner with government to run these. Therefore it is much harder to grow a rec base in Charleston when solid recreation alternatives exist.

What is challenging now is that if some, like us this past year, move portions of their (non rec) club to US Club Soccer for affiliation, that artificially inflates our rec standing/percentage in eyes of SCYS registration

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like whatever it's original intent(?), it is no longer enforced.

I had heard KOSA (Myrtle Beach) partnered with GPS to meet the requirement. Locally in Charleston area, I'm not sure about Charleston City FC or USAMP.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
USA/MP I'm sure fell into the grandfathered aspect. They have been around since Hungryneck days in one form or another (MP Academy, SCUFC, USA, etc.)

I'm not sure changing name, brand or flavor is enough to warrant action, or if you have to fall out of 'good standing' or existence in order to fire a review.

I'd think this would apply to KOSA, City, CBSC in our area (although not sure CBSC could be considered a rebrand of SSC). Probably a few others started since 2011 I missed

All questions for SCYS - I have absolutely no inside knowledge or awareness

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
USAMP would not have been grandfathered in in 2011/12. At that point they were part of MPRD. Now they are not.

I wonder if CBSC was grandfathered in as part of the SSC-CBSC merger.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
If the requirement still exists, it seems randomly applied and it's aim unclear.

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
According to the SCYSA Bylaws (last updated in 2017): Bylaw 214, Sec 1 Organization Member Responsibilities (5) provide and coordinate opportunities for every player under its jurisdiction to participate in soccer at the developmental, intermediate, and/or advanced levels;

After searching the document, I couldn't find a rec requirement. There has been 11 revisions of the SCYSA bylaws so not sure when it might have fallen out but the requirement doesn't seem to exist any more.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Thanks for digging in to it JenFal89

J
Bench
Bench
J
My child's club team used to be one of the best in the state.

Numbers became an issue and we had 3 kids yanked out of developmental and thrown on our team last season. We lost games real bad last season. Just got another kid last week before a tournament. That's four. I was told by a Sr. Coach that any player "with a pulse" would make the team.

Needless to say, our team is no good. We were smoked in that tournament. The new kids have no business playing at this level. It's very painful to watch. Zero fun and zero learning in real game situations. It's all kickball and chasing balls and putting out fires instead of soccer. The training is good but when the game starts......forget it.

Ironically, last week I was talking with a Div 5 HS coach who told me we need to switch clubs. That was without knowledge of the situation.

If my kid wants to leave I will support it.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
was that Charleston United?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
According to latest numbers from SCYS for 2018-2019
Percent of Charleston area club Rec players, and how that stacks to 60/40 rule. Most fail including us.
Of course, then begs the question of who registers rec for what and why? (rec is lower cost)

1. Charleston City 90%
2. MPRD 74%
3. CASC 49%
4. JI 39%
5. GPS NASA 35%
6. CUSC 32%
7. USA/MP 11%
8. CBSC 10%
9. DISA 3%

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
And compare that to largest three(3) clubs in the State by total number listed in order of rec %
1. SCUFC 67%
2. CESA 66%
3. GPS Lexington 59%

Much better against the 60%

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Those are great stats! What are the totals?

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
By that i mean what are the total ayers for each club according to SCYS?

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
*players

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Do the kids that play in the cpl or npl also have to be registered with scysa?

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Also wonder if the GPS numbers include KOSA?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
These numbers are not a true reflection of club size or mass as I hinted at above. US Club sanctioned activities are registered separately although some clubs may double roster players in certain age groups to play in both sanctioned activities.

I am not comfortable sharing beyond the somewhat abstracted view I posted here to help illustrate a point in this thread about rec %.

I will say Kickoff SA (KOSA) is not included in GPS. They were sanctioned this year as separate org and have 26% rec.

Just like answering questions about CPL policy, I will not share beyond what I feel comfortable sharing since the pure numbers were disclosed to member club leadership, I'm assuming, with a certain degree of sensitivity. If interested, I'd reach out to individual clubs to share, or SCYS to see if they will. I will not beyond our board.

I will happily share our (CASC) numbers.
REC 266
TOTAL SCYS 538
49% REC

BUT, this is misleading since we registered our Junior Academy (U8-U12) with US CLUB in CPL.

That would add another 430 competitive players, so our percent rec would come down to 27% at an overall state, but not in eyes of SCYS

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I am pretty sure that the KOSA and Gps deal was only for a year.
Also I doubt that number includes the GPS juniors and rec players that play in their in house leagues at Cathedral. On a different not,,,I am assuming their is a cost with registering a player with SCYSA,,, so it makes complete sense not to register those players if they are only playing in a US Club Soccer League.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Registration costs are similar with US Club or SCYS. That cost covers player insurance and some other member services/benefits (like ODP access or IDP). And each org applies its own rules and restrictions.

Would only make sense to register in both if you intend to play in two leagues in different sanctioning bodies (Jim Hudson 9v9 and CPL Statewide as an example).

Most tournaments are 'OPEN' that can accept teams form either, but not all.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Junior Academy player registration fees
SCYS: $20
US CLUB: $18

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S