Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Throw In
Throw In
E
I think the idea of the 90 minute play time is interesting but with the massive discrepancy between team levels (currently in coastal) the extra 40 minutes of a team getting hammered doesn't seem appealing. I understand the league is going to have DOCs work to avoid this but they are supposed to be doing that now and it doesn't happen very well. Unless teams are playing different opponents during that 90 minutes and I am misunderstanding something.

In general though, the league framework looks good, but will absolutely depend on buy-in from all involved (including parents). There are a lot of changes and people don't deal with change very well...

EastOak961 #176268 04/17/19 03:28 PM
J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
Originally Posted By: EastOak961
I think the idea of the 90 minute play time is interesting but with the massive discrepancy between team levels (currently in coastal) the extra 40 minutes of a team getting hammered doesn't seem appealing. I understand the league is going to have DOCs work to avoid this but they are supposed to be doing that now and it doesn't happen very well. Unless teams are playing different opponents during that 90 minutes and I am misunderstanding something.

In general though, the league framework looks good, but will absolutely depend on buy-in from all involved (including parents). There are a lot of changes and people don't deal with change very well...

That's a good point. I think if you're only going to have 6 games, it would be better to go back to divisions, so the games are more fair and competitive.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
So is it 6 games total???

J
Kickoff
Kickoff
J
Per the link:
"Each season will open with a pre-season Jamboree and teams will play on six fixed game days with one weather make-up date, all dates set in advance" So if there are only six fixed game days, and they are eliminating the double headers and just having 90 minute games, there will only be 6 games. Besides the pre-season Jamboree.

Another thing I don't understand is "Each player is guaranteed a minimum of 25 minutes of uninterrupted playing time each week" How does that work?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I like the concept of the 90 minutes..... but with only 6 games,,, that’s literally only 9 hours of soccer for the entire fall..and that’s if they play every minute... that just seems like a lot of money for only 6 games

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
I believe the 25 minute concept is for kids to play continuously for 25 minutes at some point in the game. They may play more, but they should get at least that one, long uninterrupted stretch.

As for game lengths, 12 game season at 50 minutes a game (two 25 minute halves) is only 10 hours of game time. That’s at 7v7 level, not much different.

At 9v9, the point is more valid.

But, for regular season games, which many coaches and TDs view as scrimmages to assess training, which format do you see serves that purpose better? One regulation length game or two abbreviated games?

I don’t know which is better from a development standpoint, it for parents more interested in keeping score, I know which they prefer.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
@mysonsdad, to further illustrate the point, this Fall, consider:

USA/MP Galaxy 09 played 10 games over 6 weekends. The season ranged from 9/22 to 11/10. That is an 8 week span that allows for two open weekends.

GPS NASA 07 played 7 games over 5 weekends from 9/22 to 11/3. That is a week span with two open weekends.

The 09 Galaxy team got 40 minutes less of regular season playing time (10 games at 50 minutes each = 500 minutes for USA/MP vs 6 games at 90 minutes each = 540 minutes for the proposed Coastal)

The 07 NASA team 120 minutes less (7 games at 60 minutes each = 420 minutes vs 6 games at 90 minutes each = 540 minutes for the proposed Coastal)

Considering both go to tournaments, and may have jamborees, from a value standpoint, the CPL games are more expensive and provide less value. That is unless I am missing something or my math is wrong.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Generally I'd prefer a few more game days but uncertain we'd get that anywhere.

Why I state that...

Mitigates risk of absence. If you have 6 game days and miss 1 week due to illness or vacation, that's 17%. Two days and its a third of your season. Compared to 12.5% and quarter with 8 games

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
It looks like you math is correct,,, but if you look at the full year, it works out. I think most of the younger gps maroon team tended to play more of their games in the spring than in the fall. I am assuming because the coaches didn't have an older team they had to schedule around in the Spring. We were told from the beginning that the schedule was a year long schedule... I also know that the younger teams all played numerous friendlies that would not have been included on the cpl schedule.

If we are looking strictly at minutes as a metric,,, As a parent I would want quality minutes. In the youngest division of the coastal league.... 7 out of 10 teams are CBSC team. I don’t have a clue as to their quality,,, but I would imagine playing the 5th, 6th or 7th CBSC team would not be the same atmosphere as playing the top scufc, usamp or discovories teams.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Now, you wouldn't be playing the top SCUFC or DSC teams in the lowest ages (U8-U10) of CPL either.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard