Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17628 04/29/04 04:36 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Can someone explain why Hillcrest isn't in playoffs?

#17629 04/28/04 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that the final word on their appeal, or do you mean in the first place? I don't know all the details, but the original problem stems from late last year. Maybe even in the playoffs...

Bob

#17630 04/28/04 06:59 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Hillcrest is on probation this year. We have appealed once and lost. We could not play in any pre-season or can not play in any post-season. One player was penalized this year a total of a six game suspension stemming from last year. Sad part about it is he was not the one that was accused of saying something. We are in the process of another appeal via a tele-conferance call this A.M. with the State High School League. Have not heard the out come yet. It did stem from last year. I understand that if your soccer program (including JV) receives three straight red cards you are automatically on probation. That is what occurred last season with Hillcrest. Two of the red cards were from the JV team. The one on the varsity team came at the first round of playoffs after the game was over. It was a very controversial call that ended the game in overtime with a PK shot and things got out of control. We also had no communication from the AD or Principal stating that we were being warned about the red cards. (This year we have a new AD and a new a Principal). We had one particular referee that obviously did not care for us and was not even suppose to be at the playoff game, but was called in at the last minute to fill in. They had this referee for the last 4 out of 5 games of last season. It was so obvious that for some reason he just did not like Hillcrest. It is amazing how one person can have such a control over the out come of a game. This particular referee was not allowed to referee any Hillcrest games this season. That is it in a nut shell. It is just a shame especially for the seniors if they are not allowed to play in the play offs. Region Champs and 17-2 record. Any help from anyone woud be great.

#17631 04/28/04 07:08 PM
coach
coach
You said 3 straight red cards were issued, but I assume you meant 3 red cards total issued for the season? Is there a specific rule in high school handbook on that? Or just at the discretion of the league?

#17632 04/28/04 07:15 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Total of three straight red cards (not two yellows)for soccer program. I have no idea if there is a specific rule in the handbook on this matter. We do have some documentation when Eastside was on probation and it was over turned so they could play in the play offs.

#17633 04/28/04 07:19 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
This will be an interesting decision by the S.C. High School League. With high-profile incidents occurring over the past 18 months the SCHSL can ill afford another public relations jolt. Remember these happenings:

***Marlboro County @ Northwestern Football Brawl resulted in both teams being suspended from the postseason in 2002.

***C.A. Johnson eligibility issues in boys basketball when the varsity coach also played JV players during the season above the limit on the number of games played. The Green Hornets were excluded from the playoffs and a public stink ensued.

***West Ashley girls soccer dressing JV players for the State Championship match vs. Mauldin last May. Definitely a no-no that was over-ridden last June and awarded the Wildcats with their title, which they earned on the field several weeks earlier.

***Keenan boys basketball getting into a fight/altercation with a team from Georgia in Columbia that saw several players/coaches suspended and cast a shadow over the Raiders season.

In my opinion, it's a tough scenario for a team to pay the penalty of something that happened in the past to another team altogether, but the incident certainly seemed 'ugly' and one that has happened to other teams in soccer and other sports state-wide. I think the AD and Principal need to be held accountable for some of these actions and since the AD was already out the door in Simpsonville, probably threw up little resistance to the actions by the SCHSL.

With that being said, I really don't see how the SCHSL will allow the Hillcrest boys varsity soccer team to participate in the postseason if they are to have any "teeth" in their decisions from here on out. The SCHSL stands for a lot of good things, but they're interpretation of the rules and laws seem to be rather obscure and perhaps outdated.

Also, it's unbelievable to me in this day and time how certain officials are "beyond reproach" and not held accountable by anyone -- Referee Assignors, SCHSL, their respective District, etc. Until referees and their assistants show the same appreciation for youth soccer that players, coaches, and fans display, then that will be the one missing link to the entire soccer equation getting along and moving forward in a productive manner.

As the administrator and coordinator of this website the past four years and someone involved with youth soccer since the mid-1970s, I think most people would be shocked to see how little MOST officials contribute to the game as a whole rather than showing up at games to collect a paycheck!

#17634 04/28/04 07:32 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
I just received an e-mail stating that we were denied. Hillcrest will not be able to play in playoffs.
Kyle you were right, but it is still a shame that we are being punished as you said for something that happened last year and the ones that were accussed were seniors and are not part of the team. It was the same for the Principal also he was out the door also and did not care. If you don't where pads and a helmet or dribble a orange ball and shoot it in a round cylinder you don't count.
Well I don't think they can take our region championship away. Although I feel we got dealt another bad hand about the all-region team selection. Only three players from Hillcrest and six from Mauldin (give me a break).

#17635 04/28/04 07:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's okay Hillcrest. It seemed funny that the last time Hanna played you at Hillcrest, the game was refed by 3 refs. The center ref was a guy that has been blacklisted from Hanna for 9 years. The game went into a shootout with Hillcrest winning 9-8. First and only time this year Hanna has had 3 refs do a game. We usually would have 3 at home but were told there weren't enough.

#17636 04/28/04 07:40 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Sorry to hear about Hillcrest's fate, but that's a lesson learned for everyone in prep soccer -- keep your cool!

Also, six players from Mauldin made All-Region? That's a bit much for a 6-4 squad in region play compared to Hillcrest's unblemished 10-0 mark and a slap as well to Greenwood (7-3) and T.L. Hanna (6-4). Is there no designation to where you finish in region as to how many players can be named to the All-Region Team? Also, IMO those teams ought to recognize who stood out for them during region games -- not necessarily the entire season (that's what All-State and All-Area teams are for).

#17637 04/28/04 07:58 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Oldjacket - good luck in the playoffs and hope you do good. Sorry that you lost in a shoot out. Did the three ref system have something to do with the out come or did you just miss the PK? As far as the banned ref - why didn't you protest it prior to the game? They may have gone with the two ref system.
Bob F - Thanks for your support in trying to get this over turned. It was good to see that someone had the courage to stand up and say something.
Kyle - How do other regions choose their teams? I would assume it is all the same. The coach or high school representative has to sell and talk up your own players, but can not vote for your own players.
Yes it was a slap in the face for all other teams in our region.

#17638 04/28/04 07:59 PM
coach
coach
The team is what matters most, anyway, GFCpop. Soccer is the most team-oriented sport there is. You really can't pick allstars in soccer. The whole game depends on every player. Thats sorta like my beef with the stats kept here on offensive players and GKs. Defensive players receive no stats and little recognition. But......goals are still what people want to see and hear about. You don't hear too many soccer stories on the defensive efforts of a team, unless its that 'fantastic save by the keeper.'
Anyway, enough of my rants...
I don't know the details of the incidents with Hillcrest, but I do believe that soccer is already the most disciplined and regulated sport compared to all the others. A player can miss a game or two after receiving a red card based on whatever the ref may have seen or thought he saw on a particular play. Thats too much control by one person! And a player can miss a game or 2 after receiving 2 mild yellows?? You can accumulate as many mild penalties in football or basketball as a player can get away with and still receive no suspension for the next game. And now, the high school league is playing the political game so that all sports appear to be treated alike? The schools should have the authority to discipline their athletes. If a couple of Hillcrest boys screwed up, then they suffer harshly. But if they have graduated?? The league still wants to impose punishment anyway?

#17639 04/28/04 10:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my 13 years of soccer (rec/club/high school) I never once received a red card. I also know lots of my friends who played never receieved one. It's really not that hard to stay away from them. I definitely think players should have to sit out a game or two. I don't think Hillcrest should be punished in a whole new season though.

#17640 04/28/04 11:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 yellows aren't that hard to come by. 2 hard slide tackles normally get you at least one card

#17641 04/29/04 02:15 AM
D
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
D
GFCPOP
Following our game at your place, I dropped Roger Hazel an email and informed him of the tremendous amount of class your team expressed. I went on for a bit and asked him for leniency on the Hillcrest team (referring back to my first year at Eastside and how they granted us permission to participate in the playoffs). I am truly disappointed that Hillcrest was not granted a reprieve and I do wish you the best of luck next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard