Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
What if playing HS was still in the picture while playing at Battery Academy?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
And would top college coaches be interested in watching Battery Academy playing other regional academy teams from pro and semi-pro clubs?

Would they prefer that over games with 3rd and 4th level teams from western SC and Georgia playing teams from clubs that, in your words, are having a hard time maintaining sufficient numbers of top level kids to compete?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I think still allowing them kids to play high school absolutely would make a difference. I think the DA numbers are falling across the country, and one of the big reasons are for kids to be able to play with their friends. If you have a national team caliber player,,, I completely get it, but 99% percent of the kids playing in our area, I would think the majority would like the opportunity to play for their school as well.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Main reason cited that the the Battery DA program closed was conflict with HS participation

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ba...739bbca015.html

From the DA website FAQs (http://www.ussoccerda.com/faq)

"Which teams participate in 10-month programming and do not allow high school participation?

Both the Boys' and Girls’ Development Academy program do not participate in high school programming."

One challenge here in SC and some other states play in the Spring, while most states play in the fall (like college). The issue here then is that kids cam "commit" to DA and then change their minds, drop from the team and play HS. In states where HS soccer is played in the Fall, this isn't an option really.

The high school experience is still important to a lot kids across the country. It is not an easy decision for them to make despite the fact that DA competition is superior overall as is the college and pro scout exposure. But, they are teenagers and it is a very personal decision.

A lot has been written on the topic. An excerpt https://www.socceramerica.com/publicatio...ool-soccer.html from highlights this point:

"The 2017-18 Girls DA season is in its first season and major clubs are already defecting, with the high school issue being a key reason. Those clubs can play in the well-established ECNL, launched in 2009.

Just as Mallory Pugh was emerging as a super talent, with everyone knowing she played high school soccer, in addition to ECNL ball, U.S. Soccer was disparaging high school ball while setting up a league to compete for the nation’s top talent with the ECNL."

There is no doubt the DA has produced a lot of quality players and competition is superior. In fact, in the 2019 MLS "Superdraft", 36 of 75 players selected were from DA clubs (http://www.ussoccerda.com/20190116-NEWS-DA-36-Academy-Alumni-Selected-in-2019-MLS-Superdraft)

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
CBSC older teams will be playing in state leagues. They were not admitted to the CPL. Admission criteria must not care about size of club or quality of performance.

For me, this discredits any argument that the league is for the top clubs when top clubs apply and are excluded for non-soccer/performance related issues. The league is certainly not merit based.

Consider the u-11 and u-12 Fleet teams. Arguably the best in the state at their respective ages. Excluded. But if those same girls, with the same coach, were listed as another club, they would be in.

The CPL does a disservice to its members when it denies their own member clubs the opportunity to play certain quality teams for business/political reasons.

CPL iirc is for under age 12. The new SCCL is for older U13 and up and I would have to assume you would need to apply for that outside of CPL no? Lol at the comment about the Battery getting DA. On the girls side, there’s maybe a small handful of players that guest play for a few DA teams, maybe another 10-12 that play for CESA and SCUFC ECNL. I don’t believe the Battery will get DA let alone ECNL and of the two, here in the southeast, ECNL is the better option and I’m saying that with experience in both as well as feedback from those parents currently making those practices and games happen.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
I agree with everything you mentioned above with regards to why the Battery boys DA program folded. Most of the NPL teams in the area attract college exposure not only at games but also at practices.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Chuck607
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
CBSC older teams will be playing in state leagues. They were not admitted to the CPL. Admission criteria must not care about size of club or quality of performance.

For me, this discredits any argument that the league is for the top clubs when top clubs apply and are excluded for non-soccer/performance related issues. The league is certainly not merit based.

Consider the u-11 and u-12 Fleet teams. Arguably the best in the state at their respective ages. Excluded. But if those same girls, with the same coach, were listed as another club, they would be in.

The CPL does a disservice to its members when it denies their own member clubs the opportunity to play certain quality teams for business/political reasons.

CPL iirc is for under age 12. The new SCCL is for older U13 and up and I would have to assume you would need to apply for that outside of CPL no? Lol at the comment about the Battery getting DA. On the girls side, there’s maybe a small handful of players that guest play for a few DA teams, maybe another 10-12 that play for CESA and SCUFC ECNL. I don’t believe the Battery will get DA let alone ECNL and of the two, here in the southeast, ECNL is the better option and I’m saying that with experience in both as well as feedback from those parents currently making those practices and games happen.

The application process is a farce. Note the CPL website still posts the same Spring 2019 application they have had since August 2018. There is no defined criteria for admission to either league ( if you think there is, please show evidence to support). Perhaps you assume non US Club clubs were even offered an opportunity to participate in the SCCL. Per Occam’s Razor, I think the evidence points to CBSC not being given a chance to participate. Of course one may be of the opinion that CBSC did not want to be a part of the vastly superior CPL and SCCL (or so I hear). Why do you suppose CBSC is not in either league this time?

Personally, I don’t have a problem with clubs getting together to form a league of similarly capable clubs to create the best game day environment they can. My issue is when some equally capable/competitive clubs are deliberately excluded for the sole purpose of protecting business (read $$$). Said exclusion makes it clear the decision is not about kids or, best practice or player development. It is about keeping your job and the parents money. Let’s not get it twisted.

I agree that CBSC will not go DA based on conversations I have had, but that is a choice on CBSCs part. They are already approved, but are not ready.

The Battery have a rolling application for the ECNL. I don’t know what that means, but if their 07s and 08s girls continue to win, I wouldn’t be so sure they don’t get in. They are the best girls teams in the low country at their respective ages, and it really isn’t close.

I won’t debate the merits of DA vs ECNL. You could talk to 100 ‘experts’ and find half favor one and half favor the other.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Its the witch doctor! Stick a pin in me doc!

Sorry you have no faith in the local children Chuck, or their ability to become better under better soccer instruction. You are a testament to all that is wrong with area soccer.

I'll be happy to see folks like you move on as your kids age out.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Man,,, it’s kids soccer

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
Man,,, it’s kids soccer

Agreed. There is no place for belittling the talents of our children.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard