Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
The Southeastern Clubs Champions League

(SCCL) is excited to share the division alignments and member clubs for the newly formed SCCL Premier (SCCL-P) Division. SCCL Premier will incorporate six Metro Atlanta clubs, as well as an exciting new partnership with the Carolinas Premier League (CPL) across two conferences: East and West. Clubs will compete in the 13U-19U age groups in both genders with schedules that meet the needs of each conference. The Carolinas Premier League was formed in 2018 as club-centric league for 8U-12U competitive clubs in an effort to provide a developmentally appropriate atmosphere for competitive youth players. Currently, there are 13 member clubs in the CPL, of which the following 11 have elected to compete in the SCCL-P East Division at the 13U-19U age groups:

Augusta Arsenal SC(GA)
The Bulls Soccer Club(SC)
Cainhoy Athletic (SC)
Charlotte Independence Soccer Club (NC/SC)
Coast FA (SC)
GPS Coastal (SC)
GPS Lexington(SC)
GPS NASA (SC)
James Island Youth Soccer Club(SC)
South Carolina United FC(SC)
USA Mt. Pleasant(SC)

The SCCL-P West Division will initially be comprised of Metro Atlanta clubs and one South Carolina club.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Interesting side note, Charlotte Independence Soccer Club is a new club and were admitted.

CBSC not present. Curious, wonder why?

T
Kickoff
Kickoff
T
Disoveries SC is part of CISC. That would explain them being a part of the new SCCL.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I was surprised to see the Atlanta Fire, Charlotte Independence and CESA included. This will be about as of strong of a league as you will find in the South east.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Ooops.... Meant Atlanta United

T
Kickoff
Kickoff
T
I wonder why CESA is not listed as part of the west division??

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: TwinsDad09
Disoveries SC is part of CISC. That would explain them being a part of the new SCCL.

True, and they are a part of CISC and likely assumed the DSC slot. I figured CISC though would be considered a new and different club and would have had to go through the application process.

On a separate note, though I didn’t see Tormenta announce they were leaving, it was implied. Where will they play?

Also, where is DISA?

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
This league started in Georgia. This was their version of our own in-state league. This is going to really hurt the challenge, classic and open leagues. Top teams from those clubs will remain in their DA, ECNL, and NPL leagues so this will be their second and third teams. This is part of a bigger fight between US Club vs US Youth

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
CESA was already in the league last year so I’m assuming they are just staying in the same bracket

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Chuck is correct.

T
Kickoff
Kickoff
T
I understand that CESA was already in the league. UFA, SSA, GSA were also in the league this year and are listed in the west division. Just seems odd CESA wouldn’t be listed also.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
There's no mention of SCCL on their site:

Here's what I found:
http://www.carolinaelitesc.com/select/Overview/index_E.html

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I see them in the graphic but there's no mention of SCCL on their site.

Here's what I found:

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
I was surprised to see the Atlanta Fire, Charlotte Independence and CESA included. This will be about as of strong of a league as you will find in the South east.

What I meant to say earlier in agreeing with Chuck is that these teams are the second or third level grom each Georgia club. This is not close to the best league in the south east, but is a definite step up for CPL.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Lol,,, well I’ve watched some games against Atlanta United, CESA and Concorde fires top teams. Not sure which teams they will send to this league,,,, but I would certainly think they are a step up from the pmsl...

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Has the CBSC announced where their older teams are playing next year?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I think a CBSC announcement is pending. I hope to hear plenty at Monday 7pm at MUSC for open forum. Open to all parents, regardless current club. I'll post news here if Shamrock doesnt beat me to it.

I assume we'll hear locations where other clubs are playing soon as well. Few clubs seem not to be posting that news. If you don't know for sure, I'd ask your club. Same situation with coaches.

PMSL is a team focused league you earn into. Competition not always great, true. SCCL is a club league, so you will have good and bad as well, since you don't earn the right via competition. So sure, you might play against DSC for a year until they leave, but it will be their 3rd or 4th since they have DA, ECNL,SCCL, PMSL now.

Big changes for the Charleston area for sure! Should be a fun tryout season and fall season and beyond.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
I see them in the graphic but there's no mention of SCCL on their site.

Here's what I found:

They list it here. http://www.carolinaelitesc.com/home/942349.html

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
So I believe this new league is going to operate with a promotion relegation system. It looks like there is an SCCL that is the top league and the SCCL-Premier which (despite the name) will be the second division. Looking at the media release it looks like all the new teams will be in the second division and will play their way into the top division. CESA is staying in the top division. I wonder if they will include NPL in that system as well? My conspiracy theory is that US club is going to either merge ECNL and NPL here similar to New England and create an ENPL which would create a large pool of elite teams and use the SCCL promotion relegation system AND poach teams from DA.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Can't see a dev academy team dropping down into that. It takes so much to get a Dev Academy status. Folks in Georgia are chuckling about the "mult-tier" SCCL bc its club based, so how you going to "earn" promotion for all your teams. Really laughable. But USCS isn't about much but shuffling parents' dollars to their USCS bank accounts.

The guy that runs/ran NEP runs the CPL now. He makes a mint of y'alls parents. He personally made $70k off that league in 2016 according to the IRS 990 form.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Can't see a dev academy team dropping down into that. It takes so much to get a Dev Academy status. Folks in Georgia are chuckling about the "mult-tier" SCCL bc its club based, so how you going to "earn" promotion for all your teams. Really laughable. But USCS isn't about much but shuffling parents' dollars to their USCS bank accounts.

That’s not entirely accurate, it’s no more club based than NPL. USCS as the name suggests is club based and this is a level of that. Your entire club doesn’t qualify for the top division or second division, the team does based on promotion relegation. Same as NPL and ECNL, your entire club is scrutinized but as an example, if for whatever reason you have a year group that isn’t talented enough and results are poor that specific team would not compete at that level. In ga this league came out last year and there was a great deal of uncertainty, but now, most of the parents felt the competition overall was great. Now with the promotion relegation concept and the anticipation of it involving NPL and perhaps ECNL there seems to be a positive opinion of the league and the direction. As for the comparison with DA, we will see, you can do your own research and see for yourself the competition has been hit or miss with several big clubs leaving DA for ECNL. On the girls side to not be able to play HS soccer? Silly.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Scrutinized for what?

V
Vic Offline
Bench
Bench
V
Anticipation of getting NPL and ECNL involved? What are you talking about Chuck....those are separate leagues and only connection between the 3 is that their governing body is US Club.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Maybe there is another voodoo doll story behind it.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
CBSC older teams will be playing in state leagues. They were not admitted to the CPL. Admission criteria must not care about size of club or quality of performance.

For me, this discredits any argument that the league is for the top clubs when top clubs apply and are excluded for non-soccer/performance related issues. The league is certainly not merit based.

Consider the u-11 and u-12 Fleet teams. Arguably the best in the state at their respective ages. Excluded. But if those same girls, with the same coach, were listed as another club, they would be in.

The CPL does a disservice to its members when it denies their own member clubs the opportunity to play certain quality teams for business/political reasons.

Brace
Brace
It's set up to be exclusive and only allow for those at the table to play. That's okay though, because there are other alternatives.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
That does stink for them. It will be tough for their older teams to get competition outside of tournaments

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Talon
It's set up to be exclusive and only allow for those at the table to play. That's okay though, because there are other alternatives.

We have always known that this was the reason for the league. It's not ok though. SSC was approached by USAMP to set up a league to keep out GPS. They didn't do it. Who knows who's kids USAMP will work against next. Its not what decent people do. But its what USAMP does. I wish for better from -and for- all of us.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Not at all worried about the older kids. there will be an announcement in the next day or two about U13 and up.

V
Vic Offline
Bench
Bench
V
DA coming to CB...

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Something I just thought of... with the addition of the new league, I wonder how it will affect the state league. If you look at the u-13 challenge, I think every team will be associated with the new league.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Seems to be a leading question. Have your wonderings lead you anywhere?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Seems to be a leading question. Have your wonderings lead you anywhere?

*led

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I guess my wondering led me to believe the challenge and pmsl will be even more watered down,,, at least it seems so. Kind of sucks for all involved

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
If what Vic says is true and Battery have DA, then it may well be a bummer for those left that want more above U12. Id expect the the folks of the town of Mount Pleasant that want a more robust soccer option and cant join CPL will suffer. I hope MPRD and CCSD keeps this in mind when considering who gets to use their fields: The folks who seek to be exclude MPRD and CBSC and other local teams or those who seek to be inclusive of all.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
DA would definitely help the CBSC,,, next would be to be able to convince the older kids to move over.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Can we look back and see if having an Academy at Charleston Battery has provided a enough reason for kids to "move over"? Has that happened before?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
There was,, unfortunately, it didn’t work out so well. There also wasn’t an ecnl team in Columbia and Myrtle beach or 2 npl teams in Charleston. I just know as the kids get older, the population of kids that can compete at a truly high level gets smaller and smaller, and those kids tend to migrate together. It will be tough for all teams to remain competitive. It works in Atlanta and Charlotte,,, will interesting to see here.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
There was,, unfortunately, it didn’t work out so well. There also wasn’t an ecnl team in Columbia and Myrtle beach or 2 npl teams in Charleston. I just know as the kids get older, the population of kids that can compete at a truly high level gets smaller and smaller, and those kids tend to migrate together. It will be tough for all teams to remain competitive. It works in Atlanta and Charlotte,,, will interesting to see here.

Why didn't it work out?

Wouldn't Charleston kids kids rather play Academy in Charleston than drive to Myrtle or COLA for practice? That's got to put pressure on academic success and family life.

Are you suggesting NPL > Academy? I am certain you are not.

One of the reasons the pool of players gets reduced is that rather than developing players for their future, we are letting clubs market themselves by their development of youth teams that win now. So much stress on kids and their parents. Is that what the best clubs and coaches in the world do?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
You scroll back a hundred pages on the site, there were plenty of reasons it didn’t work out,,, but they were also pulling kids from Columbia and Myrtle beach back then, will be harder to now.

Also there are kids in the area that could play at the DA level, but may chose to play at the npl level so they can continue to play high school or even another sport.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
What if playing HS was still in the picture while playing at Battery Academy?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
And would top college coaches be interested in watching Battery Academy playing other regional academy teams from pro and semi-pro clubs?

Would they prefer that over games with 3rd and 4th level teams from western SC and Georgia playing teams from clubs that, in your words, are having a hard time maintaining sufficient numbers of top level kids to compete?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I think still allowing them kids to play high school absolutely would make a difference. I think the DA numbers are falling across the country, and one of the big reasons are for kids to be able to play with their friends. If you have a national team caliber player,,, I completely get it, but 99% percent of the kids playing in our area, I would think the majority would like the opportunity to play for their school as well.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Main reason cited that the the Battery DA program closed was conflict with HS participation

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ba...739bbca015.html

From the DA website FAQs (http://www.ussoccerda.com/faq)

"Which teams participate in 10-month programming and do not allow high school participation?

Both the Boys' and Girls’ Development Academy program do not participate in high school programming."

One challenge here in SC and some other states play in the Spring, while most states play in the fall (like college). The issue here then is that kids cam "commit" to DA and then change their minds, drop from the team and play HS. In states where HS soccer is played in the Fall, this isn't an option really.

The high school experience is still important to a lot kids across the country. It is not an easy decision for them to make despite the fact that DA competition is superior overall as is the college and pro scout exposure. But, they are teenagers and it is a very personal decision.

A lot has been written on the topic. An excerpt https://www.socceramerica.com/publicatio...ool-soccer.html from highlights this point:

"The 2017-18 Girls DA season is in its first season and major clubs are already defecting, with the high school issue being a key reason. Those clubs can play in the well-established ECNL, launched in 2009.

Just as Mallory Pugh was emerging as a super talent, with everyone knowing she played high school soccer, in addition to ECNL ball, U.S. Soccer was disparaging high school ball while setting up a league to compete for the nation’s top talent with the ECNL."

There is no doubt the DA has produced a lot of quality players and competition is superior. In fact, in the 2019 MLS "Superdraft", 36 of 75 players selected were from DA clubs (http://www.ussoccerda.com/20190116-NEWS-DA-36-Academy-Alumni-Selected-in-2019-MLS-Superdraft)

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
CBSC older teams will be playing in state leagues. They were not admitted to the CPL. Admission criteria must not care about size of club or quality of performance.

For me, this discredits any argument that the league is for the top clubs when top clubs apply and are excluded for non-soccer/performance related issues. The league is certainly not merit based.

Consider the u-11 and u-12 Fleet teams. Arguably the best in the state at their respective ages. Excluded. But if those same girls, with the same coach, were listed as another club, they would be in.

The CPL does a disservice to its members when it denies their own member clubs the opportunity to play certain quality teams for business/political reasons.

CPL iirc is for under age 12. The new SCCL is for older U13 and up and I would have to assume you would need to apply for that outside of CPL no? Lol at the comment about the Battery getting DA. On the girls side, there’s maybe a small handful of players that guest play for a few DA teams, maybe another 10-12 that play for CESA and SCUFC ECNL. I don’t believe the Battery will get DA let alone ECNL and of the two, here in the southeast, ECNL is the better option and I’m saying that with experience in both as well as feedback from those parents currently making those practices and games happen.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
I agree with everything you mentioned above with regards to why the Battery boys DA program folded. Most of the NPL teams in the area attract college exposure not only at games but also at practices.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Chuck607
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers

CPL iirc is for under age 12. The new SCCL is for older U13 and up and I would have to assume you would need to apply for that outside of CPL no? Lol at the comment about the Battery getting DA. On the girls side, there’s maybe a small handful of players that guest play for a few DA teams, maybe another 10-12 that play for CESA and SCUFC ECNL. I don’t believe the Battery will get DA let alone ECNL and of the two, here in the southeast, ECNL is the better option and I’m saying that with experience in both as well as feedback from those parents currently making those practices and games happen.

The application process is a farce. Note the CPL website still posts the same Spring 2019 application they have had since August 2018. There is no defined criteria for admission to either league ( if you think there is, please show evidence to support). Perhaps you assume non US Club clubs were even offered an opportunity to participate in the SCCL. Per Occam’s Razor, I think the evidence points to CBSC not being given a chance to participate. Of course one may be of the opinion that CBSC did not want to be a part of the vastly superior CPL and SCCL (or so I hear). Why do you suppose CBSC is not in either league this time?

Personally, I don’t have a problem with clubs getting together to form a league of similarly capable clubs to create the best game day environment they can. My issue is when some equally capable/competitive clubs are deliberately excluded for the sole purpose of protecting business (read $$$). Said exclusion makes it clear the decision is not about kids or, best practice or player development. It is about keeping your job and the parents money. Let’s not get it twisted.

I agree that CBSC will not go DA based on conversations I have had, but that is a choice on CBSCs part. They are already approved, but are not ready.

The Battery have a rolling application for the ECNL. I don’t know what that means, but if their 07s and 08s girls continue to win, I wouldn’t be so sure they don’t get in. They are the best girls teams in the low country at their respective ages, and it really isn’t close.

I won’t debate the merits of DA vs ECNL. You could talk to 100 ‘experts’ and find half favor one and half favor the other.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Its the witch doctor! Stick a pin in me doc!

Sorry you have no faith in the local children Chuck, or their ability to become better under better soccer instruction. You are a testament to all that is wrong with area soccer.

I'll be happy to see folks like you move on as your kids age out.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Man,,, it’s kids soccer

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Man,,, it’s kids soccer

Agreed. There is no place for belittling the talents of our children.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Man,,, it’s kids soccer

Agreed. There is no place for belittling the talents of our children.

Look, we’ve been down this path before, if I’ve wronged you in some way, I’m sorry...stranger on the internet that I’ve never met! I told you before you seem to portray this great big conspiracy about some poor kids being held back at at club that you perceive has the best coaches and players in the low country. I’ll say it again, let it go! If you want to be a part of CPL, there’s a few local teams playing in that league with superb coaching! Move your son or daughter to the team that provides you or more so your child happiness! There are pros and cons to every club here. I certainly didn’t belittle any of the local kids but proclaiming this club can have a DA or ECNL team because they’ve got a good TEAM is short sighted. You need to have several good teams and as it’s already been mentioned in another thread, we don’t have enough girls players U13+ to have teams in NPL, ECNL, and DA, not yet at least. Hell look at midlands, I’d argue their numbers create a mediocre 03-00 teams. There are talented kids that live here that drive to CESA and GA and Charlotte over Columbia why do you think they do that? At the end of the day, if you aren’t happy at cbsc, move!

V
Vic Offline
Bench
Bench
V
Having kids that did both, boys DA and one currently on ECNL team, I find it funny how people always know best about the leagues they aren’t part of or what the actual level of play is in those. Just because you get to play against ECNL or DA team on a random showcase during the Spring, and beat them, doesn’t mean you would be successful or competitive playing them during 20 league games week in and out.

Getting ECNL or DA is a process, you need to meet certain criteria but I’m sure everyone here is fully aware of that. This year USA joined forces with Tormenta on the girls side to boost their resume to get ECNL. That helped with doing well in the NPL. Unfortunately they didn’t get into ECNL again. I say again as each year everyone is told they are getting it, but since it’s a rolling application let’s pretend there’s still a chance for this Fall. Based on the news that Tormenta is starting their own youth program their best players are out of the 03s and 02s who were major contributors to the NPL success. Now what? With GPS on every corner it’s just a matter of time before they get girls NPL.

We have been lucky to have ECNL for many years in the Upstate. Chuck you keep mentioning that ECNL in Midlands isn’t that great yet I can tell you from experience that they are very competitive and that’s only year 2 for them. It will only get better. Per your statement many kids leave Charleston to play. Why is that? Surely can’t be just the level of play? Overall soccer experience and coaching is just as important as the league they play in. Kids used to leave prior to ECNL and DA and there were plenty of RPL spots available in town.

I hope things work out for the best for all you guys in Chucktown!!

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Vic
Having kids that did both, boys DA and one currently on ECNL team, I find it funny how people always know best about the leagues they aren’t part of or what the actual level of play is in those. Just because you get to play against ECNL or DA team on a random showcase during the Spring, and beat them, doesn’t mean you would be successful or competitive playing them during 20 league games week in and out.

Getting ECNL or DA is a process, you need to meet certain criteria but I’m sure everyone here is fully aware of that. This year USA joined forces with Tormenta on the girls side to boost their resume to get ECNL. That helped with doing well in the NPL. Unfortunately they didn’t get into ECNL again. I say again as each year everyone is told they are getting it, but since it’s a rolling application let’s pretend there’s still a chance for this Fall. Based on the news that Tormenta is starting their own youth program their best players are out of the 03s and 02s who were major contributors to the NPL success. Now what? With GPS on every corner it’s just a matter of time before they get girls NPL.

We have been lucky to have ECNL for many years in the Upstate. Chuck you keep mentioning that ECNL in Midlands isn’t that great yet I can tell you from experience that they are very competitive and that’s only year 2 for them. It will only get better. Per your statement many kids leave Charleston to play. Why is that? Surely can’t be just the level of play? Overall soccer experience and coaching is just as important as the league they play in. Kids used to leave prior to ECNL and DA and there were plenty of RPL spots available in town.

I hope things work out for the best for all you guys in Chucktown!!

Thanks for insight and thoughtful comments Vic.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
My point (and maybe ShamrockRovers’ point) in talking about the CBSC coaching and players is not to claim they are all the best (or other clubs are all the worst), but to demonstrate that the level of coaching, teams and players at CBSC is, at least, consistent with clubs in the CHS area. Given that all the requirements of the CPL application are met by CBSC except for the needed votes from the Directors of Coaching of the current CPL clubs, we all understand the obvious: A club (or clubs) don’t want CBSC to have access to them. So that’s that.

I’ll let the parents at those clubs decide if they think that is proper adult behavior and make up their minds accordingly. Some of the folks here are correct. There is another option and CBSC will be ok without CPL. Three great practices each week following a professional curriculum far outweighs a CPL v Coastal game difference. Would I like to play my friends’ kids? Sure. I’ll have to settle for that in tournaments. Would other CBSC parents like their child’s club to be in CPL? Likely yes, maybe for the same reason.

The actual problems that CPL Clubs said would be solved: scheduling issues, cancellations, field changes, uneven competition haven’t been solved, so the difference is just that little variety in league games. Weighed against the issues that parents currently in the CPL have mentioned to me as a reason for their angst, that’s not a big deal.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard