Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#17638 04/28/04 07:59 PM
coach
coach
The team is what matters most, anyway, GFCpop. Soccer is the most team-oriented sport there is. You really can't pick allstars in soccer. The whole game depends on every player. Thats sorta like my beef with the stats kept here on offensive players and GKs. Defensive players receive no stats and little recognition. But......goals are still what people want to see and hear about. You don't hear too many soccer stories on the defensive efforts of a team, unless its that 'fantastic save by the keeper.'
Anyway, enough of my rants...
I don't know the details of the incidents with Hillcrest, but I do believe that soccer is already the most disciplined and regulated sport compared to all the others. A player can miss a game or two after receiving a red card based on whatever the ref may have seen or thought he saw on a particular play. Thats too much control by one person! And a player can miss a game or 2 after receiving 2 mild yellows?? You can accumulate as many mild penalties in football or basketball as a player can get away with and still receive no suspension for the next game. And now, the high school league is playing the political game so that all sports appear to be treated alike? The schools should have the authority to discipline their athletes. If a couple of Hillcrest boys screwed up, then they suffer harshly. But if they have graduated?? The league still wants to impose punishment anyway?

#17639 04/28/04 10:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my 13 years of soccer (rec/club/high school) I never once received a red card. I also know lots of my friends who played never receieved one. It's really not that hard to stay away from them. I definitely think players should have to sit out a game or two. I don't think Hillcrest should be punished in a whole new season though.

#17640 04/28/04 11:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 yellows aren't that hard to come by. 2 hard slide tackles normally get you at least one card

#17641 04/29/04 02:15 AM
D
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
D
GFCPOP
Following our game at your place, I dropped Roger Hazel an email and informed him of the tremendous amount of class your team expressed. I went on for a bit and asked him for leniency on the Hillcrest team (referring back to my first year at Eastside and how they granted us permission to participate in the playoffs). I am truly disappointed that Hillcrest was not granted a reprieve and I do wish you the best of luck next year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard