Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
mysonsdad #175797 01/28/19 04:18 PM
M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
I think the schedule is better fitting with the festival style play. It certainly helps coaches who have multiple teams and really helps families that have children in different age groups..... the state did respond with this,, but it wasnt until after the teams formed their own league. Also, the league and clubs included were announced before any tryouts in May. Everyone had the same opportunity to join one of those clubs included. Just my 2 cents. I know we have enjoyed playing different teams from around the state. I hope it stays,,, at least for the next year anyway.

mysonsdad #175798 01/28/19 05:28 PM
S
Brace
Brace
S
I know this was said in the other thread, but......

No clubs were going to be admitted into the CPL for the spring. Why was there an application if that was the case? I don't know, you'd have to ask the director and higher ups. I do know that there wasn't any intention to allow new clubs to join for the spring. Whether that was the original case or it changed after they formed, you'd have to talk to the big folks about that.

As for the spring schedule, there have been modifications due to teams moving divisions after fall results. For my specific team, there are 4 TBD games and each one is a matter of us coaches finding a right date and time to play.

Not that there aren't any issues with the CPL, but to their credit they are working on rectifying most that have popped up or weren't thought about initially. Let's keep in mind that this is a brand new endeavor and, as with anything new, there will be hiccups. How they handle them is always the barometer, for me, on how committed they are to their cause. So far i've had little complaints about the league & the complaints I've had have been heard and worked on.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
mysonsdad #175799 01/28/19 06:20 PM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
My opinion about CPL schedules and our experience.

I think it has been a learning lesson for all with annual schedules and 'wisdom' of that. My bet is that pressure and lessons learned will force a rethink moving forward in order to better support divisional moves, adding (not uncommon for us in spring), or losing teams mid-year. At least I hope we work on a better system to minimize the disruption and late change you are describing. Several of our teams did see a shift in schedules between December and January (club placement issue as much as league), and I can see how that could be causing some angst at the team level, although these changes are made with player experience front and center and will work out better in the end.

Thinking about the broader concern about exclusion, how about this for an 'out of left field' ramble...

I can't help but wonder if having two leagues isn't in the necessary interest of youth soccer in the coastal district (right now, at least for some). CBSC isn't the only other club NOT in CPL and looking back at the fall, it appears two leagues can be supported and together include all known teams. I know early on several on here were lamenting what will happen to the smaller clubs if CPL grows and I can't help but wonder that now. If CBSC leaves Coastal for CPL (or anywhere else), what would be left? Would there still be enough mass to support everyone else? Having two leagues and choice for divisional play, doesn't prevent teams playing in (open) tournaments. Is it that bad to have adjacent activities at these younger age groups (where in most cases scores and results are secondary (not even published))?

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
mysonsdad #175800 01/29/19 05:56 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
To recap, based on the parents I have talked to on teams in CsPL and the comments on this forum the following can be said when comparing CsPL and SCYSA Coastal:

schedules: movement b/w divisions is now no different(lesson learned!); adding teams is now no different(lesson learned!); its hard to manage so many disparate coach/team scheduling needs (lesson learned!) If this was such a big problem before, how in the world did no one in CsPL leadership not see it coming??

policy: no different (in the hands of other person/people)

money: no different or more (I think there was a slight upcharge for CsPL?)

travel: no different or more (included some clubs from farther away for some age groups, excluded some local clubs)

quality of clubs/games involved: no different(some good games, some blowouts, some fields better than others, some teams didn't show)

So the only things left are:
a) It doesn't post scores/standings for u8,u9,u10
b) It excludes some clubs for reasons unknown to members

Since I don't think the value proposition for in having two leagues is just so you can keep from posting scores of the wee ones in one of the leagues but not the other(I'm all for that-did SCYSA turn that request down?), all that seems to be left is excluding some clubs.

mysonsdad #175801 01/29/19 05:58 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Festival play is now part of both leagues and I am supportive of either format, as are many parents

mysonsdad #175802 01/29/19 06:09 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
As far as parents knowing before they joined that their clubs weren't going to be part of the league, I agree because we parents and our kids heard about "Where are you going to play" from coache at USAMP, Cainhoy and GPS as a means to frighten parents and kids into staying at teams already in the league. Perhaps some coaches and club directors did not know or participate in that. I sure hope they tell their members about their disgust that it should have happened in their clubs and keep it from happening again. I'll be sure to call out some offenders in real time on in this forum if I hear of it.

That said, most of the folks who knew about the application assumed that a "Spring Application" meant that there was an application process for, well, Spring. Perhaps that was never the reality, but it was the only logical conclusion, based on the title of the application.

mysonsdad #176080 03/18/19 07:09 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Among the other issues I have heard teams are having in CPL, I understand USA Tormenta cancelled a bunch of away games in CPL. Does anyone know if this is because they are leaving USAMP and CPL as part of this rebranding effort?

https://www.tormentafc.com/news_article/show/1001982

mysonsdad #176386 04/26/19 08:45 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Big announcement for CPL:

https://www.carolinaspremierleague.com

I hoping a qualified teams that apply will be joining.

mysonsdad #176568 05/08/19 05:15 PM
S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Misa, (congrats on your win) I know you suggested in a past post you think it would be good to see the reasons for denying a club's application to the CPL published. Can you help the folks out this forum bc the league denied the application and gave no reason.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
As far as parents knowing before they joined that their clubs weren't going to be part of the league, I agree because we parents and our kids heard about "Where are you going to play" from coache at USAMP, Cainhoy and GPS as a means to frighten parents and kids into staying at teams already in the league. Perhaps some coaches and club directors did not know or participate in that. I sure hope they tell their members about their disgust that it should have happened in their clubs and keep it from happening again. I'll be sure to call out some offenders in real time on in this forum if I hear of it.

That said, most of the folks who knew about the application assumed that a "Spring Application" meant that there was an application process for, well, Spring. Perhaps that was never the reality, but it was the only logical conclusion, based on the title of the application.

I’d support any club coach or director assisting club members on the pros and cons of a move to another club. To suggest pointing out the pros of a league opportunity and the absence of a similar league as a con to be an unspeakable offense is silly. If you think the same practice isn’t occurring at your club, you couldn’t be less informed!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard