Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
This will be my last year as a long-time season ticket holder. If anyone here thinks proceeds will be pumped back into the club and its on-field product, I have a stadium to sell you..

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/...c4bbe3e2c4.html

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: SoccerinLC
This will be my last year as a long-time season ticket holder. If anyone here thinks proceeds will be pumped back into the club and its on-field product, I have a stadium to sell you..

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/...c4bbe3e2c4.html

Yeah, I am not optimistic that owner is interested in an improved product. That said, I have no idea how much money was being bled, either by the current or previous owner. While I like the current stadium, location and environment, They are amongst the lowest attended USL-C clubs. The current trend of urban stadium locations in MLS vs the suburban ones and overall attendance numbers is well documented. Stoney won’t be any more inconvenient for me, but I think the owner is the problem more than the location. I hope the club gets sold to a group that really wants an excellent product from top to bottom.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
This is the "Club Soccer and ODP" forum. There is a "College, Pro & International Soccer" forum where you can post this if you want to keep it under its relevant forum.

I expect the professional club to be around much longer than USAMP. The end of the Mount Pleasant Soccer Booster Club stranglehold on soccer in the low country would be a more relevant subject here. And good riddance to those in charge of it.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Very relevant to Club Soccer & ODP when the Battery who are clearly in decline are making the claims they are on their youth club.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I will honestly be surprised if they are still here in 2 years.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Why do you think that?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
That quesion to mysonsdad

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I think there are plenty of signs. Of course we all heard the battery was not doing well financially. I've heard this multiple times from multiple people. I was told that starting the youth club was one of the ways they were trying to inject some money back into the organization. Attendance has been sagging for years. They offer a season ticket to a player, make it seem like its a reward, but they know the parents will have to bring them- boosts the ticket, beer, food, parking sales. I dont blame them for that, you do what you can to get people in the seats. The CBSC fees are rather expensive what you get and their uniforms are as well, but they are able to generate cash flow from starting a youth club.

I think the stadium being sold out from under them, with no clear plan for next year is very telling. The members of the cbsc that I work with were very surprised at this. They had no idea this was in the works. They can spin it that wanted to move back to the peninsula, but the perception is that is damage control, because they dont have a workable alternative yet.

Also, the fact that there are battery employees whose own children still play at other clubs in the area, is perhaps the most telling about the long term viability of the first team.

I'll admit, we used to go to plenty of battery games. We used to tailgate and basically see all our soccer friends there on weekend games. We went to probably 80% of the home weekend games. But , We haven't been to a game since the cbsc formed. Honestly though, that has less to do with them starting a rival youth club and much more to do with ticket prices. When they doubled their ticket prices, they lost my family and basically ever soccer family that I hang out with.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
I don’t disagree with anything here, although I have been told that when ticket prices went up and attendance dropped, they still came out slightly ahead money-wise. As for the Academy as a revenue stream, it may be one, I have no idea without seeing the books, but I do not think that was why the Academy was formed. I think the USYSA mandate for professional clubs to have an Academy was the impetus. They simply started theirs a year early.

As for cost, it is expensive (I think they all are) but not far more than what we paid at SSC when team fees were included. Depending on the team, it cost less given number and venues of tournaments. They are not the most expensive local btw.

I personally don’t believe the owner is committed, though he does have three kids playing for CBSC.

That said, I think LC has been closer to the point. I think he sold the property and will not invest much if any into the club, senior or academy, beyond what is needed to maximize the sale of the senior club. If a new ownership group does come in, I believe it would be fantastic for the club from top to bottom.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
....Also, the fact that there are battery employees whose own children still play at other clubs in the area, is perhaps the most telling about the long term viability of the first team...

Or perhaps CBSC is thinking long term and has enough faith in their 3/5/10 year plan not to force employees to make their children switch clubs unless they are ready for it. My guess is that would be good for the older kids who are now only staying with clubs because of their friends. So are you saying CBSC should tell the children that their parents are fired if they don't switch clubs? I certainly wouldn't want to be part of a club that did that. You? Thank goodness. That sounds like something a local indecent club might do.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I don’t have an opinion on that one way or another. I think people need to do what’s best for their family. I would want my child in the best program they could be in. I am assuming they would as well. Who knows,,, just an observation that has been mentioned by members of the cbsc community themselves.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I think there are plenty of signs. Of course we all heard the battery was not doing well financially. I've heard this multiple times from multiple people.

...I think there are plenty of signs. Of course we all heard the battery was not doing well financially. I've heard this multiple times from multiple people...

When was the Charleston Battery doing so well financially? Did Tony Bakkar tell anyone that he sold a business that was making money? I bet you didn't hear that at all from him. Maybe from some USAMP cranks?

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
...The CBSC fees are rather expensive what you get and their uniforms are as well, but they are able to generate cash flow from starting a youth club...

I believe CBSC is less than USAMP and DISA and more than Cainhoy and GPS NASA. Not sure about JIYSC. The money CBSC generates goes into running CBSC not the professional club, Charleston Battery. Here and elsewhere you seem to be confusing them as the same entity. They are not.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
I can tell you with 1000% certainty that they have leaned heavily on their employees to bring their kids over and in at least one case they absolutely gave their employee no choice..

Under previous ownership the Battery lost money. The difference is, the previous owner could afford it, the new owner can’t/ isn’t willing to ( which is his right either way ). With that said, the previous owner also didn’t have the need for bail/ attorney fees that the current owner does.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers

That said, I think LC has been closer to the point. I think he sold the property and will not invest much if any into the club, senior or academy, beyond what is needed to maximize the sale of the senior club. If a new ownership group does come in, I believe it would be fantastic for the club from top to bottom.

The value of the team was the stadium, the owner despite every attempt couldn’t sale it as a package. It’s obvious he wants out. Without a stadium, the team has very little/ no financial value. Mark my word, the absence of a buyer ( & one with cash to burn ) the team will fold in the near future. Which is shame, perhaps a bigger shame that on its way out, over half the LC was alienated from the team for various reason ( youth club, ticket prices, teams lack of quality )..

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers

The value of the team was the stadium, the owner despite every attempt couldn’t sale it as a package. It’s obvious he wants out. Without a stadium, the team has very little/ no financial value. Mark my word, the absence of a buyer ( & one with cash to burn ) the team will fold in the near future. Which is shame, perhaps a bigger shame that on its way out, over half the LC was alienated from the team for various reason ( youth club, ticket prices, teams lack of quality )..

According to transfermarkt, Chattanooga is worth $1,900,000. They are USL 1.
Greenville Triumph, USL 2, doesn’t have their own stadium, $1,130,000.
Louisville plays in a baseball stadium. $3,750,000.
I think $3,000,000 is a fair estimate of the teams value.

I don’t think the youth club has much to do with it, and certainly not lack os quality of play. For the last five years, they have finished no worse than 6th place in their conference and have made the playoffs three times.

Ticket prices is a fair criticism, and the location on DI doesn’t really help, but I also feel the marketing has been poor. They could give each of the school districts 100 free tickets to every home game to disperse as desired (varsity players, honor roll, good behavior, whatever). That would put butts in seats. Maybe half price for the parent. Right now, there just seems like little effort or creativity there and they have resources and people to do better.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
What does 3 mil get you? A pay toll that doesn’t even break even. Not sure I’m buying the spend 3 mil to lose money argument.

If correct, at 3 mil, plus 6.75 for the stadium, the 10 mil spent to buy the team is a loss..

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
A pay roll that doesn’t break even. Not pay toll!

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
SCSoccerfanjohn.. if they aren’t the same entity that kinda blows up the #pathwaytopro marketing.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Just my estimate, but I don’t think people buy minor league franchises, and certainly not soccer ones, to make money. I’m certainly not wealthy, but my understanding is that most sports franchise owners usually report their team as a net loss to the IRS, which allows them to play games with their taxes to benefit themselves. Of course I could be completely wrong. There’s a first for everything :-)’

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Count me in the same boat as you SRR!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Ok, sorry was driving and couldn’t respond

1. Older kids don’t stay with a certain club “to play with there friends”,,,at least not competitive soccer players. That approach works with 8/9 year olds. Not so much for older kids. I would think those employees probably wanted the best for their own kids.... but that’s pretty much all I will say about that.

2. Usamp may cost a littlemore than Cbsc when you factor in tournament team fees,,, but in terms of value it’s not even close and Gps makes cbsc fees look ridiculous.

Take the top 05 teams (since this is top to bottom one of the strongest age groups for all 3)

Usamp 05 npl. $1100. Doesn’t include tournament or teams. Can expect maybe $500 more dollars for npl games/tournaments/etc. But that gets you NPL schedule, 4 practices a week with a proven coach (have no idea what Colin’s coaching license is, but my kids would play for him any day). ... Because of how good they are,,, they can expect to still be practicing and playing deep into the summer.. They are practicing now!!!!

GPS 05 npl. $1425. Includes all fees. Gets you NPL schedule. 3 practices a week, and a additional speed/technical practice. You get10 months of training. 8 tournaments, and the preseason team camp. (Coach is a former Irish top division head coach, Uefa pro license) They are practicing now!!

Cbsc 05 black. $1200. Includes all fees. I am assuming 2 tournaments like the past. Training 2 nights a week, from Aug-December. An additional night for technical work and free play (every Cbsc parent I work with had complained about the inconsistency of these sessions). Will be playing in the challenge league, but 70%-80% of those teams are leaving for the SCCL. The coach has a Uefa A or B license depending on what you look at (but still a very respectable pedigree). No idea if they are practicing now. I have heard not. We

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
...Usamp 05 npl. $1100. Doesn’t include tournament or teams. Can expect maybe $500 more dollars for npl games/tournaments/etc...

Where do you get your USAMP figures from? The younger kids total fees are more than that. I wonder if they know that the older kids pay less. Or maybe you are just guessing. It'd be nice if clubs had stated fee schedule like GPS and CBSC so we could compare.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Ok, sorry was driving and couldn’t respond

1. Older kids don’t stay with a certain club “to play with there friends”,,,at least not competitive soccer players. That approach works with 8/9 year olds. Not so much for older kids. I would think those employees probably wanted the best for their own kids.... but that’s pretty much all I will say about that.

2. Usamp may cost a littlemore than Cbsc when you factor in tournament team fees,,, but in terms of value it’s not even close and Gps makes cbsc fees look ridiculous.

Take the top 05 teams (since this is top to bottom one of the strongest age groups for all 3)

Usamp 05 npl. $1100. Doesn’t include tournament or teams. Can expect maybe $500 more dollars for npl games/tournaments/etc. But that gets you NPL schedule, 4 practices a week with a proven coach (have no idea what Colin’s coaching license is, but my kids would play for him any day). ... Because of how good they are,,, they can expect to still be practicing and playing deep into the summer.. They are practicing now!!!!

GPS 05 npl. $1425. Includes all fees. Gets you NPL schedule. 3 practices a week, and a additional speed/technical practice. You get10 months of training. 8 tournaments, and the preseason team camp. (Coach is a former Irish top division head coach, Uefa pro license) They are practicing now!!

Cbsc 05 black. $1200. Includes all fees. I am assuming 2 tournaments like the past. Training 2 nights a week, from Aug-December. An additional night for technical work and free play (every Cbsc parent I work with had complained about the inconsistency of these sessions). Will be playing in the challenge league, but 70%-80% of those teams are leaving for the SCCL. The coach has a Uefa A or B license depending on what you look at (but still a very respectable pedigree). No idea if they are practicing now. I have heard not. We

Thanks. This is good info. Some questions I am curious about.

Using 05 boys, have both USA/MP teams started practicing?

For GPS, correct me if I am wrong, but there are three 05 teams for the NASA kids:
GPS Charleston 05 team, comprised of the top players from NASA, JIYSC, and Coastal
GPS Maroon
GPS White

Are all three practicing now? Are the fees the same for each? Since the tryouts for the 05s at GPS ended last Wednesday, May 22, do you feel those tryouts are truly open or the teams are predetermined? Have you seen examples of kids being moved up or down teams? I ask because I think a lot of parents may feel their kid, were they to switch clubs, would not be given a truly fair opportunity. Few kids, regardless of clubs, will move from their clubs top team to another clubs 'B' team.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I don't know if both USAMP 05 teams are practicing, but I know their NPL team is.

Yes, GPS NPL is made up of the best from those 3 clubs. They had their first combined practice thursday night at Cathedral. They are having a training weekend this saturday and sunday,, basically 5-6 hours on both days. . To introduce everyone to the style of play and get the teams working together.

I am assuming the tryouts were open. But like anywhere else, I think the coaches do a good job of basically knowing who the good in the area are. If someone from out of the area moves in, I would like to think they would be given as shot.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
umm... I'm not guessing. I just posted what they have listed on their website for 2019-2020 fees. Most clubs older clubs do pay less because they don't have a full spring season.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Clearly, should not multi-task...... clubs older “teams” don’t pay as much

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Clearly, should not multi-task...... clubs older “teams” don’t pay as much

I hear you on the multi-tasking. Can't believe 05s are already half-season teams. So your guess and mine for the USAMP 05s are likely close at around $1600.

I've heard different stories about that 05 coach and wouldn't want my children playing for him, but I guess that's either something you haven't heard or a philosophical difference about how to teach children. From your past posts, I'm thinking its the former.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I haven’t heard anything... so I guess it would be the former.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Your safe SCSoccer, the USA/MP coach mentioned above is very popular with USA/MP & isn’t likely to be coaching at a club your kids are at any time soon. Not to mention he is only coaching top level teams, no chance your player runs into him.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Lol SneakerinLC

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
In the end, after all this talk, I guess we'll see what happens. Having gone to the pro club meetings and CBSC meetings, I am happy with where my kids are and wish the best for all the parents and kids moving forward. Remember parents that if you are concerned about anything about your club, just ask your club DOC. You have the power in the relationship. Best of luck!

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Here’s to hoping that’s your goodbye message to us all SCSoccerjohn!

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
When adults start calling out specific kids and demeaning them, its time to go. You seem to be a sad little man and thanks for demonstrating that USAMP leadership and class. I feel so sorry for the parents and kids around you. I hope they can find better at one of the many local options.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Your safe SCSoccer, the USA/MP coach mentioned above is very popular with USA/MP & isn’t likely to be coaching at a club your kids are at any time soon. Not to mention he is only coaching top level teams, no chance your player runs into him.

Out of bounds.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Completely inbounds. The entire ball has to entirely cross the line to be out of bounds!

While unintentional, the absence of a critical word does make it read much harsher than intended. For clarification that word was “older”, inserted where left off the sentence from my post:( Not to mention he is only coaching older top level teams, no chance your player runs into him. ). After all, SC has made clear his objection to second graders not playing vs their friends.

As for the outcome, if the accidental omission leads to a poster who has slandered the staff at USA/MP up & down leaving this board, then we are all better off.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Completely inbounds. The entire ball has to entirely cross the line to be out of bounds!

While unintentional, the absence of a critical word does make it read much harsher than intended. For clarification that word was “older”, inserted where left off the sentence from my post:( Not to mention he is only coaching older top level teams, no chance your player runs into him. ). After all, SC has made clear his objection to second graders not playing vs their friends.

As for the outcome, if the accidental omission leads to a poster who has slandered the staff at USA/MP up & down leaving this board, then we are all better off.

I have used quotes from documents and known histories about USAMP leadership. I believe that you have demonstrated above, which you are know trying to backtrack, that you are 100% classless.

Parents and coaches, take SoccerinLC as a case-in-point for the indecency that is the underbelly of youth sports in the area. Now that the subsidies are gone, expect bigger bills, more doublespeak and even less class from USAMP leadership.

Best of luck to all the parents and children. You have many local choices for youth soccer. Make it a decent one.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
You have no footing to take a moral high ground! It’s laughable that you even attempt to do so.

Furthermore I don’t accuse you of representing the Battery Youth Academy, as you don’t. Not sure why you’d act as if I represent USA/MP. I don’t, we are both merely members of local youth clubs. Sorry to disappoint you in that truth.

You ought to spend less time here with your inaccuracies and invest in taking your own advice. As much as you talk about USA/MP, you ought to reach out to a members of their staff and get actual truths. You’ll find a group working hard in an attempt to provide a positive experience for their members. The exact same thing you’d find at every club in the LC. Again sorry to disappoint you in the truth that there aren’t bad people running any of these clubs.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
One person quotes documents and describes known events about indecent adult behavior.

The other person demeans specific children.

Which one is indecent and amoral?

Adults reading this know.

Rule number one about holes. If you're in one, stop digging.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Hahahahahahaha best post you’ve had yet.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Just more of same from you.

The good people out there can tell you're an indecent creep.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Good try. Your gonna come on an anonymous forum, run your mouth, then start calling out others. This is an anonymous forum my friend. Hahaha

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Good try. Your gonna come on an anonymous forum, run your mouth, then start calling out others. This is an anonymous forum my friend. Hahaha

^^^^ that's pride of USAMP folks. I guess I should just keep prodding you to comment. You're the best advertisement for other clubs there is.

I'll check back when you've refuted anything I've quoted.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
^^^^^^ that’s the pride of CBSC folks. I guess I should just keep prodding you to comment. You’re the best advertisement for other clubs there is.

I’ll check back when you prove any of the claims you’ve made.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I don't have to "prove" the quotes that came directly from mouth or keypad of the executive director. They are simply re-posted on this forum from the original sources. Parents and coaches can just read them. They are his words. If you have issues with the words he says, perhaps you should have him stop running his mouth while a stenographer is in the room.

The USAMP coach who was removed from two teams certainly had nothing to do with my input, but anyone can talk to the 08 and 03 parents and find out why they had him removed. There is always room for redemption, so I hope he is seeking help and treating children more humanely now.

The funny part is it was tougher to find written evidence of baser nature behind the actions and quotes of some of the decision makers at the USAMP. Threatening children and instead of addressing the words the club leadership were quoted saying proves that point, so thank you SoccerinLC. None of your bluster can change that.

The good news is that there are many local options for parents and their kids. There is no reason for parents to fear asking questions or seeking alternative options at local clubs. If you are upset or concerned at your current club, go watch the training sessions at local clubs or speak with the DOCs at other clubs and see what they have to offer. MPRD has some great teams under Coach Decker. Cainhoy is right in town at Trident and Coach Tunesi is available on this board. DISA is just a 15-20 minute drive from much of Mount Pleasant. I'm sure Coach Khouri would love to chat. I wish the best for the decent parents out there and all the children, regardless of your club choice.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
So your trying to get everyone to believe the following.... that the Executive Director sneaks around in an attempt to keep 2nd graders from playing vs each... that they have misused their club membership fees.... that they aren’t going to have field space... that they have lied to their membership... all based on those meeting minutes? Based on how I’ve defended the club as a parent? That’s a stretch!

As for your comments about the coach in question, I’m unaware of the details but would caution you that you are walking very close to needing legal representation with claims like that. I believe a defamation case If your comments are untrue would be a slam dunk. Luckily any adult can see thru them as “hate speech” towards a club you despise.

You are correct there are a bunch of great options for players in the LC. Your error and confirmation of your bias is in leaving USA/MP off the list. Translation for everyone out there, this guy hates USA/MP!

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
You are correct there are a bunch of great options for players in the LC. Your error and confirmation of your bias is in leaving USA/MP off the list. Translation for everyone out there, this guy hates USA/MP!

I left CBSC off the list, as well as many others. I guess I hate CBSC too.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S

As for your comments about the coach in question, I’m unaware of the details but would caution you that you are walking very close to needing legal representation with claims like that. I believe a defamation case If your comments are untrue would be a slam dunk. Luckily any adult can see thru them as “hate speech” towards a club you despise.

My experiences and opinions of the coach are my own but are very true. I recommended that the poster could/should talk to the parents of boys on the two teams that requested a new coach. I do not believe their opinions and desire for a new coach amounted to their defaming the coach.

Perhaps shaming children and saying they don't have the talent to make top teams would be a better case for defamation if untrue.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D

I left CBSC off the list, as well as many others. I guess I hate CBSC too.

Your right! I should have said “further confirmation of your bias is leaving USA/MP off the list. My statement that you hate USA/MP are illustrated in the quotes pasted below from this thread alone-

“I expect the professional club to be around much longer than USAMP. The end of the Mount Pleasant Soccer Booster Club stranglehold on soccer in the low country would be a more relevant subject here. And good riddance to those in charge of it.”

“Did Tony Bakkar tell anyone that he sold a business that was making money? I bet you didn't hear that at all from him. Maybe from some USAMP cranks?”

“You seem to be a sad little man and thanks for demonstrating that USAMP leadership and class. I feel so sorry for the parents and kids around you.”

“Now that the subsidies are gone, expect bigger bills, more doublespeak and even less class from USAMP leadership.”

No one is buying that your an objective poster on this forum in regards to the leading soccer club in the area. Your opinion on USA/MP is clear, no reason for you to dodge that fact.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
I'm not a fan of the actions of some of those currently and formerly in leadership positions. The quotes represent an opinion of their past actions and potential realities they face. I hope for more transparency, honesty and decency in dealings with parents and local government officials moving forward. I also hope that parents and coaches at the club will not be afraid to question the club leadership.

As far as my bias about the decency of parents and/or leaders like you, notice I didn't shame any kids in my posts. No reason for you to dodge that fact.

S
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
S
Your right again, I’m not dodging what I said! Maybe you ought to stop trying to make it out as if I said your son is a terrible player- which I didn’t. Pointing out that your child wouldn’t run into a coach due to the coach coaching high level teams ( corrected after the fact to represent my original intention - older high level ) isn’t shaming your child, it’s a reality. CBSC aren’t even in the same league as the coach ( which is a high level league ). So even if your son is on a “top team” with the Battery, he won’t be playing at a high level ( as far as league is considered ). I stand behind my comment with or with out the word older in the message, don’t try to make it more than it is again.

Not to mention, my child & his teammates have worked hard to earn the opportunities they have in front of them. We are proud of our club, parents, players, coaches and it’s leadership.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Battery with new crest rebrand and uniform release

https://www.charlestonbattery.com/news_article/show/1071328

M