Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Fast forward to 37th minute. (Unless you want to listen to talk about football officials)

Nothing groundbreaking but somewhat interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfflv9pMEgI

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
The remarks regarding American football losing ground in high schools or not being the driver in school athletics is completely incorrect. I’d challenge anyone that thinks that to attend a Friday night football game here in the low country...or Texas, Florida, California, etc. it’s an average night to sell 4K tickets to a FD or Summerville, or Berkeley game. I would encourage you to checkout QB1 on Netflix to see the attendance at some big powerhouse schools like Matre Day in CA or IMG in FL.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I don't remember hearing him say that but I agree with you point. A below average football team will draw as many fans in one game as an above average soccer team does in a season.

QB1 is a GREAT show. I forget which season but one of the California teams traveled to NY and Flordia in the same season, which is crazy to me.

No matter how this shakes out, some schools are going to be left unhappy.
I don't see the high school league going to a sport specific solution so I don't foresee much changing.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I agree with Chuck,,, People may not like it,,, but Football is still king in most schools. It pays the bills for the majority of the non-revenue sports. I agree with Coach Delong as well.... the schsl is not going to have a sport specific solution. As much as we would like to see it,,, there wont be a promotion/relegation system anytime in the foreseeable future. One school may be good in football,,, but not as good in soccer. Or vice-versa. It keeps travel cost down and it is easy to schedule if all sports are in the same region...... now for the original topic.... I definitely think Charter schools enjoy a distinct competitive advantage.... but best if I keep those comments to myself...lol

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: SharksFutbol
I would love for SC Soccer to have a promotion/relegation system, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime as too many schools are still stuck in the 70s with their thinking regarding the athletic programs.

I have spoken to many about a Pro/Rel system. Even researched and studied a few other states with multipliers and similar ideas. Sadly, it is something that AD's will not move away from. Football is the primary breadwinner for school athletic departments. While I wish administrations were more open-minded, football and their supporters have helped in providing the venues at which we get to play the beautiful game.

The bigger question that would come about is, how would you divide gender up? (Specifically if we look just at soccer) Would you have them on seperate competition levels or would you put them together and combine them on a point system? Some schools would not be able to support that would probably be the argument from the SCHSL. I've had some ideas but unless you know someone or have pull yourself, no change will happen because no one will listen to soccer coaches.....

look at the ball situation as an example for that.

World Cup
World Cup
10/6/19

Scoppe: In football and in academics, SC needs a level playing field
The Post and Courier (Charleston)

Quote:
Imagine the Legislature passed a law that said USC can only recruit football players who are South Carolinians, but Clemson can still recruit from across the country.

If that doesn’t strike you as grotesquely unfair, then imagine the reverse.

That’s the situation that high school coaches at traditional public schools have always faced when they go up against private, magnet and charter schools.

World Cup
World Cup
A common misconception is that students may transfer to a charter school and become immediately eligible for athletics. This is only true for students from schools in their geographic district -- i.e. Gray Collegiate Academy (West Columbia) is listed as part of Lexington School District Two's geographic footprint, thus students from Airport HS (5.8 miles) or Brookland-Cayce HS (6.1 mi) may transfer in high school grades and become eligible and vice versa. However, a student from another school district would have to sit out a year just like any other transfer per SCHSL policy -- i.e. Lexington One's River Bluff HS is only 2.5 miles away from GCA, but since RBHS is LEX1, then that student would have to play JV for a year before eligible for varsity.

Now, a student that chooses to attend GCA from another district (anything other than Lexington Two) and enrolls at Gray as a 9th grader, then that student is eligible for varsity athletics immediately as they established their eligibility at GCA. If a student starts two weeks at another out-of-district school and then transfers as a 9th grader to Gray, then that student would only be eligible for JV that first year.

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 10/07/19 05:27 PM.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
So, please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that these schools can recruit ANYONE until the first day of their freshman year? That is the problem and where the challenge is. It is not a level playing field. Imagine in the Greenville area (which is opening one of these schools in the near future) if the ECNL and NPL coaches for the boys and girls at the U12 and U13 groups were also the coaches at the new school. They could openly recruit the ENTIRE team to come play for them at a 2A/3A school. The transfer rule once they are in high school is not the issue, it's the ability to pull any kid from anywhere up until that point. That is RECRUITING, which no traditional high school in SC can legally do at any point.

Again, I believe that there is place for these schools. But they have a giant competitive advantage. Look at the All-State team for 2A girls last year and argue otherwise.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
It is truly apples to oranges. When 1 school has absolutely no attendance lines plays another school that is restricted by attendance lines.... it is simply not fair.

Brace
Brace
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
So, please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that these schools can recruit ANYONE until the first day of their freshman year? That is the problem and where the challenge is. It is not a level playing field. Imagine in the Greenville area (which is opening one of these schools in the near future) if the ECNL and NPL coaches for the boys and girls at the U12 and U13 groups were also the coaches at the new school. They could openly recruit the ENTIRE team to come play for them at a 2A/3A school. The transfer rule once they are in high school is not the issue, it's the ability to pull any kid from anywhere up until that point. That is RECRUITING, which no traditional high school in SC can legally do at any point.b

Again, I believe that there is place for these schools. But they have a giant competitive advantage. Look at the All-State team for 2A girls last year and argue otherwise.

This has been occurring in youth leagues (particularly football/basketball) for ages, i.e. in areas like Gaffney, Summerville, Union, Byrnes, Rock Hill.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard