Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#177032 10/03/19 10:26 PM
S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
The Daniel Islands fields are having turf fields rolled now. The first of three full sized 11 v 11s almost completely rolled.

The Summerville Complex renovation plans were mentioned in a recent news article. An additional pavillion, 3-4 artificial turf fields and upgrading the other fields and parking lot to avoid flooding problems.

Great new venues for the low country region.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
A lot of positive developments happening for CBSC. I think some good news for both the academy and senior team is forthcoming.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
I hope CBSC are looking to reinforce existing coaching staff for fall 2020.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Any updates to the leagues they are playing in?

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
None.

Any update on USAMP solvency? Heard they are going door to door now?

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
None.

There are alot of good people with kids at USAMP that deserve to know if you will have the Cario and Moultrie fields after October 24th if the fundraiser doesnt make enough money for a new contract.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
USAMP approached CBSC to discuss a merger. While that might not be great for all of the directors, it would be great for the parents and kids and coaches that would join the CBSC family.

If an agreement were to be finalized, I cannot say whether or not USAMP would be allowed to remain in their leagues. Though there would be an irony to that, I would think that at some point the other club directors will agree it is better for local competition to have CBSC involved in the leagues.

No matter the outcome of the current talks, CBSC will continue to be a great place for the kids have play, have fun, and develop.

Goal
Goal
I am really surprised to hear that USAMP would approach the Battery. It would be great for soccer in the Charleston Area and I would love to see it happen.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
I am really surprised to hear that USAMP would approach the Battery. It would be great for soccer in the Charleston Area and I would love to see it happen.

Agree 100%

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
On a different note.... not that I support this,,, but have been hearing some that there will be a push from some taxpayers association in Dorchester County to not fund the improvements at the battery's fields in summerville. Big complaint that I have heard is using public money to fund a private team and that the fields will not be open to all tax payers. Just those who are members of cbsc. I can honestly see both sides of it. I am a fan of any fields we get in the area. But I can see why using tax payer money to benefit only a few would be concerning.

mysonsdad #177068 10/10/19 06:53 PM
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
My understanding was the arrangement also included DD2 schools in some form or fashion. Also would understand if some taxpayers with kids that played at other clubs were unhappy as well.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Present company excluded :-)’

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I honestly go back and forth about it.... we need decent fields in the area. We really do. But then I think that any tournament we host will benefit Berkeley County/ Charleston County more. They will certainly get all the accommodations taxes for all the hotels, and the majority of the restaurants that people will use.

I am assuming that the majority of cbsc membership doesn't live in Dorchester County..... but I honestly have no clue.

But then again.... I know we need fields in the area. Totally on the fence with this one..... from my point of view.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Here's a more full story. It's all part of larger plans to develop the area:

https://www.live5news.com/2019/09/25/dorchester-county-plans-improvements-oakbrook-area/

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Good news is that there will be no loss of fields if it doesn't happen. Still one of the few large complexes to play soccer in.

Town of Mount Pleasant Rec folks discussed in the last Rec Meeting running any Mount Pleasant tournaments on their own moving forward, so that's another related field/tournament update.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Good news is that there will be no loss of fields if it doesn't happen. Still one of the few large complexes to play soccer in.

Town of Mount Pleasant Rec folks discussed in the last Rec Meeting running any Mount Pleasant tournaments on their own moving forward, so that's another related field/tournament update.

Goal
Goal
I would be curious if places like MESA Complex, BB&T (it will always be BB&T to me) Sumter Complex, Florence Complex, the turf complex in Rock Hill area were privately funded.

I honestly have no clue.

I work for the CBSC but have no inside info but at one point I heard that the Battery was going to put up half of the money. Not sure if that is true or not.

Lots of rumors swirling around and a lot of politics in play.
It's the reason Charleston is in the situation it's in right now.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
I would be curious if places like MESA Complex, BB&T (it will always be BB&T to me) Sumter Complex, Florence Complex, the turf complex in Rock Hill area were privately funded.

I honestly have no clue.

I work for the CBSC but have no inside info but at one point I heard that the Battery was going to put up half of the money. Not sure if that is true or not.

If true, That would make it easier to swallow for the taxpayers, depending on the agreements for usage. The Oakbrook area could use a makeover.

I am pretty sure Florence was tax supported, though I am not sure to the extent.

@Alister. I think the problem in more base than politics. Money, plain and simple to me.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
My kids play for a different club,,,, they will be aged out before any of this really happens regardless.

That being said,, I have always been a huge proponent of parks and rec. We do need nice fields in the area.

I wonder if the florence complex was supported through a referendum or some alternative financing like is being proposed in Dorchester. I dont have a clue.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Some aerials of the progress last week on the new CBSC Daniel Island fields:

https://www.facebook.com/295337681251683/posts/536763483775767/

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Hospitality tax to fund wave of parks projects
$27.6 million to be spent on improvements, renovations
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 8:16 pm
By Ben Szobody
STAFF WRITER
PDF | list of parks projects and tax funding, as well as a preliminary financing schedule: http://greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/BS87520103.PDF

Northwood Little League, the MESA soccer complex and Camp Spearhead are on the front of a $27.6 million wave in parks and tourism projects to be funded next year on the strength of a new county restaurant tax.

Dirt has moved on five projects already, and a new timeline released this week shows 15 of 18 will get some or all of the tax money they need in 2008.
/..../
The revenue will fund a laundry list of improvements from water parks to ballfields and downtown arts attractions.

The council approved the so-called "hospitality tax" last year with the support of sports teams and business leaders, and over the opposition of some conservative activists.

Smith said some projects open for bids this month include:
/..../

The MESA soccer complex initially funded by the county in 2004 already has land and about half a dozen fields, Smith said, with seven or eight more to be developed by the county along with parking and restrooms.

Some bidding for the project opens Sunday. The complex gets $3 million in 2008....../

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
None.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about or why you’d assume I would know? Also does that have anything to do with what league CBSC will be playing in? It sounds like the best thing for both clubs with respect to field and leagues is to formulate a merger. While playing the likes of a couple CUSA and SCUFC teams is good, playing teams from GA, FL, and NC would be better...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

Chuck607 #177093 10/19/19 10:19 PM
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Chuck607
None.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about or why you’d assume I would know? Also does that have anything to do with what league CBSC will be playing in? It sounds like the best thing for both clubs with respect to field and leagues is to formulate a merger. While playing the likes of a couple CUSA and SCUFC teams is good, playing teams from GA, FL, and NC would be better...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined. As for a merger, funny you bring that up.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Chuck is just trolling.

No one can afford to pay the USAMP salaries, not even them. That's likely why they had to cancel the Awendaw plans and cant afford to rent fields. And any acquisition by CBSC would kick USAMP out of their leagues.

There is no benefit to CBSC in acquiring USAMP except out of concern for the kids and the sport in general.

The people at USAMP that led them into their dire position are giant egos that need to go away.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C

I honestly have no clue.

Florence was a mix of private funding (The Bruce and Lee Foundation) and public. Sumter and MeSA were public. Not sure on Manchester or BB&T, I thingk the SEFL fields off Monticello were private

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

"I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined."

who declined what? trying to understand that comment.
we play whoever is in our divisions/leagues and sanctioning bodies.
meaning we compete in CPL, SCCL-E, SCYS OPEN, and tournament our teams are inclined to apply for (including the CBSC hosted events)

as you probably know SCYS are reviewing their promotion/relegation policies that may open more of their leagues up to our teams

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Chuck made a snide remark about who CBSC plays against in response to another comment earlier. Then he continued, to which I replied.

The CPL clubs, every one of them, had a choice when they refused CBSCs admission into their league. They declined their admission. Of course the actual vote was secret, but the clubs continued to stay in that exclusive league. That was also their choice.

It can be viewed in a myriad of ways, and one perspective, fair or not, is those clubs have declined to play against CBSC. Now clubs can say otherwise, but do their words match their schedules? How many league games does your club have against CBSC this month? Next month? Considering the number of teams you have, why so few? I am sure you aren’t going to say that you have tried to play against CBSC and they couldn’t/wouldn’t.

Not being personal, but you asked. I would respond the same to any club rep. I applaud the fact that you have the guts to ask.

S
Bench
Bench
S
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

"I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined."

who declined what? trying to understand that comment.
we play whoever is in our divisions/leagues and sanctioning bodies.
meaning we compete in CPL, SCCL-E, SCYS OPEN, and tournament our teams are inclined to apply for (including the CBSC hosted events)

as you probably know SCYS are reviewing their promotion/relegation policies that may open more of their leagues up to our teams

Interesting that you seem to lament an actual promotion/relegation system because it doesn't jibe well with your private, closed leagues.

Your hypocrisy is stunning.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
knew I should have stayed quiet.

I don't see any hypocrisy in our actions. We have always told our teams (members) we will provide access to those leagues that we see are attractive, have value, competitive, limit travel (where possible) and most importantly we have access to (not NPL, ECNL, USL-Academy, etc.)

We have regular meetings to discuss this and would openly support any team enter where they like (as we do with tournaments) if it is practically possible (fields/registration causes issues there). Sort of our nature.

The promotion/relegation changes I am alluding to really only hit us in one BIG way last year with denial to PMSL as self-select (as previous years) for talented teams. By denying access to non SCYS sanctioned leagues, the State denied clubs like ours access who had selected to leave Coastal League for CPL South (at U8-U12) when it started. Our only option then for our mass of mid level teams was either OPEN or CPL/SCCL.

Looking back at history and you will see that our sweet spot is there (PMSL) with good mass over several years, with few making SCSCL and even fewer Piedmont. So really the promotion/relegation is less of an issue; better stated would be application or access to mid level state leagues is our need (whether PMSL or CPL).

We all know it is tough to run two league structures (particularly on the girls side and older U13+) so our decision will always lean to recommend/place our teams where they have, as stated above, access and best local competition (limit travel where we can). That is what drives our decisions, not sanctioning body or any loathing or fear of any other soccer club.

We had a very productive meeting with CBSC not so long ago (about the whole CPL thing), and have a very long history working with the Charleston Battery/Fleet and wish them all the best. As you probably know many of their coaches and families are long time friends and members of ours and certainly no ill will felt here.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: scsoccerstar
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

First, let me say welcome to the boards and contributing.

To some of your points:

1. I will concede that the Battery appear to be in disarray. I believe some very positive announcements are forthcoming very soon. Spoken as a STH.

2. I wholly disagree with the “do our way or else” perception. The fact is that several lowcountry clubs approached the Battery about being a part of the youth set up and they were not interested. It was only until USYSA mandated Division 2 clubs have an academy did they form CBSC. So I am not sure where you derive this opinion from.

3. I am doubtful there is a single club, outside of possibly JIYSC, that would not trade their field situation for the “rag tag” fields in Summerville. Also, keep in mind that the Battery are currently turfing their new facility on DI. Their facility situation is second to none in the LC. Hardly seems like a move by an organization that is in complete disarray.

As for the money piece, I concur, they like most clubs, put a premium on that. DM me if you want more details.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S

The Battery are playing in 2020. To do that they must have a field under contract, I believe 120 days before the league begins. They have a field, you just haven't heard where yet.

When the Battery started their search for a youth set up, they reached out to area clubs to work together. The local youth clubs wanted to "do it their own way". And that's fine, though that meant the Battery were suddenly a threat. SSC saw the value in the relationship and so that was the start of CBSC. There was a huge demand for a well run, transparent club in the Mt. Pleasant area, CBSC filled that void with CBSC south. As I showed in prior links, they are finishing the first 3 of 5 fields on Daniel Island, working with Dorchester to renovate the Summerville complex and already have plans to build more fields for the club and communities. It is the exact opposite of disarray.

The Battery dev academy was a great avenue for the best kids in the low country that had top-tier D1 or pro ambitions. When the rules said kids couldn't play high school, understandingly many chose high school and the program faltered. There is no such rule that USL academy players can't also play high school. It will be a destination for the top kids again.

I'm not sure what "the allure of the almighty dollar" means. The local youth soccer clubs bring in millions(as a part of a multi-billion $ US youth soccer market). Some directors and coaches are pocketing much of that. Some are volunteers. Either way is fine if that's what you want. CBSC falls somewhere in the middle.

Good luck to the kids and parents, wherever you live as well. I hope you have a better grasp of your local scene then you do Charleston's

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
knew I should have stayed quiet.

I don't see any hypocrisy in our actions. We have always told our teams (members) we will provide access to those leagues that we see are attractive, have value, competitive, limit travel (where possible) and most importantly we have access to (not NPL, ECNL, USL-Academy, etc.)

We have regular meetings to discuss this and would openly support any team enter where they like (as we do with tournaments) if it is practically possible (fields/registration causes issues there). Sort of our nature.

The promotion/relegation changes I am alluding to really only hit us in one BIG way last year with denial to PMSL as self-select (as previous years) for talented teams. By denying access to non SCYS sanctioned leagues, the State denied clubs like ours access who had selected to leave Coastal League for CPL South (at U8-U12) when it started. Our only option then for our mass of mid level teams was either OPEN or CPL/SCCL.

Looking back at history and you will see that our sweet spot is there (PMSL) with good mass over several years, with few making SCSCL and even fewer Piedmont. So really the promotion/relegation is less of an issue; better stated would be application or access to mid level state leagues is our need (whether PMSL or CPL).

We all know it is tough to run two league structures (particularly on the girls side and older U13+) so our decision will always lean to recommend/place our teams where they have, as stated above, access and best local competition (limit travel where we can). That is what drives our decisions, not sanctioning body or any loathing or fear of any other soccer club.

We had a very productive meeting with CBSC not so long ago (about the whole CPL thing), and have a very long history working with the Charleston Battery/Fleet and wish them all the best. As you probably know many of their coaches and families are long time friends and members of ours and certainly no ill will felt here.

Sounds like you just outlined the reason for your hypocrisy (it is better for Cainhoy) instead of a denial of it. That's your prerogative. History will be the judge.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
”CBSC is excited to announce big improvements to our Summerville facility. Breaking ground in 2020, and we are hugely grateful to Dorchester County for including us in this redevelopment project. Artificial turf, facility-wide lighting, huge clubhouse, finished parking. Even more big facility news to come!”

https://www.chsbatterysc.com/news_article/show/1064519

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
With a picture:

[url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683]Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683[/url][/url][/url]

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Sorry let's try this again:

[url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683]Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683[/url][/url][/url]

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Ok. I give up. The picture of the field layout is on the CBSC FB page.

C
Bench
Bench
C
Click here for a link to the picture. Interesting to see the layout removes the bank of trees in the north west corner that divided the 2 back fields from the last 11v11. Always thought that was wetlands back in there and why it was built in that V shape like it is now.

Only if they could find some land on the upper part of the peninsula for a nice centrally located super club soccer rather than all this subdivision we currently have. Glad to see some money going to soccer either way.

Kickoff
Kickoff
Two concerns. 1. Hearing that the Battery are pulling back their name from the youth club. 2. The renovations are being done by Dorchester County, not the Battery. The fields are meant for multiple sports, not just soccer or one specific organization.

https://www.live5news.com/2019/09/25/dorchester-county-plans-improvements-oakbrook-area/

"Vance says one of the first projects that will be underway next year is the renovation of the Charleston Battery Soccer Club fields. They are located on Walden Ridge Road in Summerville which is near Trolley Road.

It’s formally known as the Summerville Soccer Club. It’s an area that typically floods.

"Anybody that has kids that has played out there knows that if we get a good rain their games are cancelled for week," Vance said.

The county is planning to improve drainage, lighting parking and safety by adding a fence around all the fields. They also plan to put in new grass and turf fields.

The fields will be available for high schools and tournaments. They can also be used to play football."

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
According to trademark office, B Sports Enterprises is still the registered owner of the copyright to Charleston Battery and either will it to the Battery willingly or will keep it for the youth club. Not much cause for concern as the relationship with the club is moving forward with the sale.

I certainly hope the Charleston Battery Soccer Club fields in Summerville, will be used by HS teams and other sports as fits their schedule.

At the end of the day, the CBSC organization does now, and will for the foreseeable future, have more field space than all other groups, save JIYSC. There are some clubs that have no field space and have fallen out of favor with their own town and are scrambling to meet even their dwindling demand.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
*will sell it to...

Kickoff
Kickoff
I see a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Senior team loses MUSC stadium, says going back to Stoney or Citadel, but in reality ends up at College of Charleston field. Not a positive development.

Youth teams continue to play in (prop up) defunct Coastal League or continue with mixed results in PMSL. Not a positive development.

Let us know when the good news forthcometh.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
At least get your facts straight before you troll. For example, CBSC has teams in 9 of the 11 Challenge divisions. They are in 1st or 2nd in seven of those nine.

Please enlighten us on what club in the LC is seeing all the positive development?

Oh, and if developing new fields on DI and as well as the new construction at Summerville doesn't constitute good news, would you please share what does qualify?

Would love to hear about all the great things happening at your club. Please share!

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
At least get your facts straight before you troll. For example, CBSC has teams in 9 of the 11 Challenge divisions. They are in 1st or 2nd in seven of those nine.

Please enlighten us on what club in the LC is seeing all the positive development?

Oh, and if developing new fields on DI and as well as the new construction at Summerville doesn't constitute good news, would you please share what does qualify?

Would love to hear about all the great things happening at your club. Please share!

Wouldnt worry about Charlie. Appears to be another SoccerinLC type troll that cant put down the kool aid. Everything they say is eventually known to be false. I can see evidence from here in the tree line up in Awendaw.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard