Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
On a different note.... not that I support this,,, but have been hearing some that there will be a push from some taxpayers association in Dorchester County to not fund the improvements at the battery's fields in summerville. Big complaint that I have heard is using public money to fund a private team and that the fields will not be open to all tax payers. Just those who are members of cbsc. I can honestly see both sides of it. I am a fan of any fields we get in the area. But I can see why using tax payer money to benefit only a few would be concerning.

mysonsdad #177068 10/10/19 06:53 PM
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
My understanding was the arrangement also included DD2 schools in some form or fashion. Also would understand if some taxpayers with kids that played at other clubs were unhappy as well.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Present company excluded :-)’

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I honestly go back and forth about it.... we need decent fields in the area. We really do. But then I think that any tournament we host will benefit Berkeley County/ Charleston County more. They will certainly get all the accommodations taxes for all the hotels, and the majority of the restaurants that people will use.

I am assuming that the majority of cbsc membership doesn't live in Dorchester County..... but I honestly have no clue.

But then again.... I know we need fields in the area. Totally on the fence with this one..... from my point of view.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Here's a more full story. It's all part of larger plans to develop the area:

https://www.live5news.com/2019/09/25/dorchester-county-plans-improvements-oakbrook-area/

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Good news is that there will be no loss of fields if it doesn't happen. Still one of the few large complexes to play soccer in.

Town of Mount Pleasant Rec folks discussed in the last Rec Meeting running any Mount Pleasant tournaments on their own moving forward, so that's another related field/tournament update.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Good news is that there will be no loss of fields if it doesn't happen. Still one of the few large complexes to play soccer in.

Town of Mount Pleasant Rec folks discussed in the last Rec Meeting running any Mount Pleasant tournaments on their own moving forward, so that's another related field/tournament update.

Goal
Goal
I would be curious if places like MESA Complex, BB&T (it will always be BB&T to me) Sumter Complex, Florence Complex, the turf complex in Rock Hill area were privately funded.

I honestly have no clue.

I work for the CBSC but have no inside info but at one point I heard that the Battery was going to put up half of the money. Not sure if that is true or not.

Lots of rumors swirling around and a lot of politics in play.
It's the reason Charleston is in the situation it's in right now.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
I would be curious if places like MESA Complex, BB&T (it will always be BB&T to me) Sumter Complex, Florence Complex, the turf complex in Rock Hill area were privately funded.

I honestly have no clue.

I work for the CBSC but have no inside info but at one point I heard that the Battery was going to put up half of the money. Not sure if that is true or not.

Lots of rumors swirling around and a lot of politics in play.
It's the reason Charleston is in the situation it's in right now.

If true, That would make it easier to swallow for the taxpayers, depending on the agreements for usage. The Oakbrook area could use a makeover.

I am pretty sure Florence was tax supported, though I am not sure to the extent.

@Alister. I think the problem in more base than politics. Money, plain and simple to me.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
My kids play for a different club,,,, they will be aged out before any of this really happens regardless.

That being said,, I have always been a huge proponent of parks and rec. We do need nice fields in the area.

I wonder if the florence complex was supported through a referendum or some alternative financing like is being proposed in Dorchester. I dont have a clue.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard