Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
knew I should have stayed quiet.

I don't see any hypocrisy in our actions. We have always told our teams (members) we will provide access to those leagues that we see are attractive, have value, competitive, limit travel (where possible) and most importantly we have access to (not NPL, ECNL, USL-Academy, etc.)

We have regular meetings to discuss this and would openly support any team enter where they like (as we do with tournaments) if it is practically possible (fields/registration causes issues there). Sort of our nature.

The promotion/relegation changes I am alluding to really only hit us in one BIG way last year with denial to PMSL as self-select (as previous years) for talented teams. By denying access to non SCYS sanctioned leagues, the State denied clubs like ours access who had selected to leave Coastal League for CPL South (at U8-U12) when it started. Our only option then for our mass of mid level teams was either OPEN or CPL/SCCL.

Looking back at history and you will see that our sweet spot is there (PMSL) with good mass over several years, with few making SCSCL and even fewer Piedmont. So really the promotion/relegation is less of an issue; better stated would be application or access to mid level state leagues is our need (whether PMSL or CPL).

We all know it is tough to run two league structures (particularly on the girls side and older U13+) so our decision will always lean to recommend/place our teams where they have, as stated above, access and best local competition (limit travel where we can). That is what drives our decisions, not sanctioning body or any loathing or fear of any other soccer club.

We had a very productive meeting with CBSC not so long ago (about the whole CPL thing), and have a very long history working with the Charleston Battery/Fleet and wish them all the best. As you probably know many of their coaches and families are long time friends and members of ours and certainly no ill will felt here.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: scsoccerstar
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

First, let me say welcome to the boards and contributing.

To some of your points:

1. I will concede that the Battery appear to be in disarray. I believe some very positive announcements are forthcoming very soon. Spoken as a STH.

2. I wholly disagree with the “do our way or else” perception. The fact is that several lowcountry clubs approached the Battery about being a part of the youth set up and they were not interested. It was only until USYSA mandated Division 2 clubs have an academy did they form CBSC. So I am not sure where you derive this opinion from.

3. I am doubtful there is a single club, outside of possibly JIYSC, that would not trade their field situation for the “rag tag” fields in Summerville. Also, keep in mind that the Battery are currently turfing their new facility on DI. Their facility situation is second to none in the LC. Hardly seems like a move by an organization that is in complete disarray.

As for the money piece, I concur, they like most clubs, put a premium on that. DM me if you want more details.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S

The Battery are playing in 2020. To do that they must have a field under contract, I believe 120 days before the league begins. They have a field, you just haven't heard where yet.

When the Battery started their search for a youth set up, they reached out to area clubs to work together. The local youth clubs wanted to "do it their own way". And that's fine, though that meant the Battery were suddenly a threat. SSC saw the value in the relationship and so that was the start of CBSC. There was a huge demand for a well run, transparent club in the Mt. Pleasant area, CBSC filled that void with CBSC south. As I showed in prior links, they are finishing the first 3 of 5 fields on Daniel Island, working with Dorchester to renovate the Summerville complex and already have plans to build more fields for the club and communities. It is the exact opposite of disarray.

The Battery dev academy was a great avenue for the best kids in the low country that had top-tier D1 or pro ambitions. When the rules said kids couldn't play high school, understandingly many chose high school and the program faltered. There is no such rule that USL academy players can't also play high school. It will be a destination for the top kids again.

I'm not sure what "the allure of the almighty dollar" means. The local youth soccer clubs bring in millions(as a part of a multi-billion $ US youth soccer market). Some directors and coaches are pocketing much of that. Some are volunteers. Either way is fine if that's what you want. CBSC falls somewhere in the middle.

Good luck to the kids and parents, wherever you live as well. I hope you have a better grasp of your local scene then you do Charleston's

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
knew I should have stayed quiet.

I don't see any hypocrisy in our actions. We have always told our teams (members) we will provide access to those leagues that we see are attractive, have value, competitive, limit travel (where possible) and most importantly we have access to (not NPL, ECNL, USL-Academy, etc.)

We have regular meetings to discuss this and would openly support any team enter where they like (as we do with tournaments) if it is practically possible (fields/registration causes issues there). Sort of our nature.

The promotion/relegation changes I am alluding to really only hit us in one BIG way last year with denial to PMSL as self-select (as previous years) for talented teams. By denying access to non SCYS sanctioned leagues, the State denied clubs like ours access who had selected to leave Coastal League for CPL South (at U8-U12) when it started. Our only option then for our mass of mid level teams was either OPEN or CPL/SCCL.

Looking back at history and you will see that our sweet spot is there (PMSL) with good mass over several years, with few making SCSCL and even fewer Piedmont. So really the promotion/relegation is less of an issue; better stated would be application or access to mid level state leagues is our need (whether PMSL or CPL).

We all know it is tough to run two league structures (particularly on the girls side and older U13+) so our decision will always lean to recommend/place our teams where they have, as stated above, access and best local competition (limit travel where we can). That is what drives our decisions, not sanctioning body or any loathing or fear of any other soccer club.

We had a very productive meeting with CBSC not so long ago (about the whole CPL thing), and have a very long history working with the Charleston Battery/Fleet and wish them all the best. As you probably know many of their coaches and families are long time friends and members of ours and certainly no ill will felt here.

Sounds like you just outlined the reason for your hypocrisy (it is better for Cainhoy) instead of a denial of it. That's your prerogative. History will be the judge.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
”CBSC is excited to announce big improvements to our Summerville facility. Breaking ground in 2020, and we are hugely grateful to Dorchester County for including us in this redevelopment project. Artificial turf, facility-wide lighting, huge clubhouse, finished parking. Even more big facility news to come!”

https://www.chsbatterysc.com/news_article/show/1064519

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
With a picture:

[url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683]Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683[/url][/url][/url]

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Sorry let's try this again:

[url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683][url=Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683]Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=567008770751238&id=295337681251683[/url][/url][/url]

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Ok. I give up. The picture of the field layout is on the CBSC FB page.

C
Bench
Bench
C
Click here for a link to the picture. Interesting to see the layout removes the bank of trees in the north west corner that divided the 2 back fields from the last 11v11. Always thought that was wetlands back in there and why it was built in that V shape like it is now.

Only if they could find some land on the upper part of the peninsula for a nice centrally located super club soccer rather than all this subdivision we currently have. Glad to see some money going to soccer either way.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard