OP Online Content
Goal
S
Hospitality tax to fund wave of parks projects
$27.6 million to be spent on improvements, renovations
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 8:16 pm
By Ben Szobody
STAFF WRITER
PDF | list of parks projects and tax funding, as well as a preliminary financing schedule: http://greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/BS87520103.PDF

Northwood Little League, the MESA soccer complex and Camp Spearhead are on the front of a $27.6 million wave in parks and tourism projects to be funded next year on the strength of a new county restaurant tax.

Dirt has moved on five projects already, and a new timeline released this week shows 15 of 18 will get some or all of the tax money they need in 2008.
/..../
The revenue will fund a laundry list of improvements from water parks to ballfields and downtown arts attractions.

The council approved the so-called "hospitality tax" last year with the support of sports teams and business leaders, and over the opposition of some conservative activists.

Smith said some projects open for bids this month include:
/..../

The MESA soccer complex initially funded by the county in 2004 already has land and about half a dozen fields, Smith said, with seven or eight more to be developed by the county along with parking and restrooms.

Some bidding for the project opens Sunday. The complex gets $3 million in 2008....../

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
None.

Any update on USAMP solvency? Heard they are going door to door now?

I’m not sure what you’re talking about or why you’d assume I would know? Also does that have anything to do with what league CBSC will be playing in? It sounds like the best thing for both clubs with respect to field and leagues is to formulate a merger. While playing the likes of a couple CUSA and SCUFC teams is good, playing teams from GA, FL, and NC would be better...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

Chuck607 #177093 10/19/19 10:19 PM
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Chuck607
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
None.

Any update on USAMP solvency? Heard they are going door to door now?

I’m not sure what you’re talking about or why you’d assume I would know? Also does that have anything to do with what league CBSC will be playing in? It sounds like the best thing for both clubs with respect to field and leagues is to formulate a merger. While playing the likes of a couple CUSA and SCUFC teams is good, playing teams from GA, FL, and NC would be better...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined. As for a merger, funny you bring that up.

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Chuck is just trolling.

No one can afford to pay the USAMP salaries, not even them. That's likely why they had to cancel the Awendaw plans and cant afford to rent fields. And any acquisition by CBSC would kick USAMP out of their leagues.

There is no benefit to CBSC in acquiring USAMP except out of concern for the kids and the sport in general.

The people at USAMP that led them into their dire position are giant egos that need to go away.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
I would be curious if places like MESA Complex, BB&T (it will always be BB&T to me) Sumter Complex, Florence Complex, the turf complex in Rock Hill area were privately funded.

I honestly have no clue.

I work for the CBSC but have no inside info but at one point I heard that the Battery was going to put up half of the money. Not sure if that is true or not.

Lots of rumors swirling around and a lot of politics in play.
It's the reason Charleston is in the situation it's in right now.

Florence was a mix of private funding (The Bruce and Lee Foundation) and public. Sumter and MeSA were public. Not sure on Manchester or BB&T, I thingk the SEFL fields off Monticello were private

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

"I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined."

who declined what? trying to understand that comment.
we play whoever is in our divisions/leagues and sanctioning bodies.
meaning we compete in CPL, SCCL-E, SCYS OPEN, and tournament our teams are inclined to apply for (including the CBSC hosted events)

as you probably know SCYS are reviewing their promotion/relegation policies that may open more of their leagues up to our teams

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Chuck made a snide remark about who CBSC plays against in response to another comment earlier. Then he continued, to which I replied.

The CPL clubs, every one of them, had a choice when they refused CBSCs admission into their league. They declined their admission. Of course the actual vote was secret, but the clubs continued to stay in that exclusive league. That was also their choice.

It can be viewed in a myriad of ways, and one perspective, fair or not, is those clubs have declined to play against CBSC. Now clubs can say otherwise, but do their words match their schedules? How many league games does your club have against CBSC this month? Next month? Considering the number of teams you have, why so few? I am sure you aren’t going to say that you have tried to play against CBSC and they couldn’t/wouldn’t.

Not being personal, but you asked. I would respond the same to any club rep. I applaud the fact that you have the guts to ask.

S
Bench
Bench
S
I think the whole Charleston Battery organization is in disarray and this will affect the youth portion of that club as well. They have basically thumbed their nose at the rest of the Lowcountry by saying, "do it our way or else". Now with no home for the professional club and just a presence in Summerville at a rag-tag facility and this is going to be interesting. The Battery were a great club for S.C. to support for 25 years but started to lose their way with the Development Academy and the allure of the almighty dollar. Happens to the best of us! Good luck Charleston area youth soccer!

S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
...hell just playing some Cainhoy and GPS teams would be great!

"I agree Chuck. Wish those clubs were willing to play against CBSC. They declined."

who declined what? trying to understand that comment.
we play whoever is in our divisions/leagues and sanctioning bodies.
meaning we compete in CPL, SCCL-E, SCYS OPEN, and tournament our teams are inclined to apply for (including the CBSC hosted events)

as you probably know SCYS are reviewing their promotion/relegation policies that may open more of their leagues up to our teams

Interesting that you seem to lament an actual promotion/relegation system because it doesn't jibe well with your private, closed leagues.

Your hypocrisy is stunning.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard