Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#177208 11/25/19 08:11 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I'm curious how many schools do baseline concussion testing before the season starts. I think when I was at Straford it was called "Impact" testing.

Does your school use it? Is it district policy?

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Require a baseline test every two years, or after a concussion has occurred. So, if you do it as a freshman and have no concussions you'd only have to repeat it junior year

Kickoff
Kickoff
We do the "Impact" testing" every year. We don't fall under a school district since we are a Private School.

Rafael Márquez
Head Varsity Coach - Girls Soccer
Hammond School

* You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great *
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
We do this as well.

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I asked our trainer and this was the response I got. I thought it was interesting.

"We stopped doing baseline testing a couple of years ago for the following reasons:
In the last concussion summit (they have them every 3-5 years) all the came to a consensus agreement that baseline testing is not necessary.
Repeat testing (after having a concussion) results have a high rate of false negatives. Due to the learning curve of the tests athletes do better even with mild to moderate concussions. There were athletes testing better but were still in the recovery phase. These tests were actually creating confusion "Why can't I play. I did better than my baseline test." Some were even being cleared based of the test results which later resulted in more severe concussions.
Our doctors at MUSC agreed not to continue baseline testing mostly for the above reasons.
More and more medical groups are moving away from baseline testing but there are still a few groups who continue to it. We at MUSC are on the front line of concussion studies."

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard