Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I am in favor of "conferences" based on geographical location vs. size of school. School from multiple divisions could play in the same conference (4A and 5A for instance) and the state could implement a system in which every school must be accepted into a conference unless they choose otherwise. That would give smaller school "conference" games instead of "region" games.
Many other states have multipliers, but I think that a lot of these schools (especially the ones that artificially cap their enrollment to be at a lower level) would file a lawsuit.
Is the SCISA a bad idea, Cardinal Newman thrives there? Traditional schools would have their state titles and All-State lists and non-traditional schools would have theirs. This is also common in other states.

Goal
Goal
When doing some research on how other states handled private and charter schools, along with classification determination, I found that many states use 1.5x and 2x multipliers. Some states go 2.5x. With the schools having control over who can come in, it was deemed that they had an advantage and athletically that needed to be compensated for. Some states do exactly as this rule change is considering and has ALL Private, Charter, and Attendance-Controlling Schools in their own bracket.

I think about 23 schools would be effected by the removal from the "True" Public school playoffs. None are within the 4A or 5A classification. At that point, you would think have to re-examine the realignment and would 5 divisions be needed.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
5 divisions have never been needed. I used to coach in another state where our District had 23 teams. There were 8 districts. That 170+ schools in 1 division, and there were 5 divisions.
They had the option of making 3 divisions, then based on how many schools played the sport having either 3 or 6 (big/little) state titles. This would make a lot more sense, thus the reason it probably wasn't chosen:) (Remember when football had a big 16...but no other sport did)

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
(Remember when football had a big 16...but no other sport did)

I remember when while there were 4 classes, but there were 2 Class 1A football champions and 2 Class 2A State Champions. Started in '06 w/ 1A & '11 w/ 2A. Stopped around for both around '15 or '16. Thought no one really got special rules but hey I'm just a soccer guy

Goal
Goal
I think we have traveled down this road before.
Any predictions on what happens?

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
I wish I had some sort of idea what the best solution is for everyone.
If we got rid of regions, it would make it hard for the smaller, rural schools to find games.
I think solutions could be found for soccer but the HSL isn't going to create special regions/rules just for soccer.
If you lump all of the Magnet/Private/Charter schools together I can live with that but then how to you handle districts that have school of choice? I had a friend coaching at a Columbia area school that said he knew of 2 kids that lived in his neighborhood, zoned for one school that were going to another so they could play soccer.
I know kids in my area say that they want to take a certain class so are able to go the school they choose to play a sport.
The rules are being bent everywhere. When I start coaching 18 years ago, I knew of kids that lived in Chapin that were going to Irmo to play soccer.

I curious if other states have this same issue and how they handle the private/magnet/charter issue.

Several good points here.

Absolutely, the smaller schools would be impacted the most if they left. Would probably have to go back to 1A-4A, which has its own issues.

Soccer isn't really a consideration here. Football, and to a lesser extent, basketball, will drive this.

Irmo benefited from the school of choice for years, but now the migration in Lexington 5 is elsewhere. DD2 allows kids to go to other schools if their home school doesn't offer a specific program (I know of some athletes that go to Ashley Ridge for a CTE program not offered at Summerville HS).

Recruiting takes place in the other sports as well. I personally do not think that the HS sports should be so driven to win, win, win, but instead focus more on being an extension of the classroom where values of teamwork, sportsmanship, dedication, etc... are emphasized. Most coaches do this, but for some, well, the less said, the better.

Definitely no easy answers.

Goal
Goal
As long as they are keeping score, people will be driven to win. Whether they are a football coach making 6 figures or a soccer coach working for peanuts and cracker jacks.
I do understand your point and that their is a right way to do things.
Unfortunately we will always have people in our business that are willing to win at all costs.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
A lot of interesting suggestions. I know they arent going to get away from regions divided by size. Football will drive any decision that is made. Lso, I cant see those schools moving away into scisa either. The schsl would not want to lose the money, and with a few exceptions, scisa athletics are pretty bad. Also, If schools like Oceanside, Bishop England and Academic Magnet (In spring sports) were to suddenly enter scisa. They would absolutely dominate. I think their would be a lot of push back from the traditional SCISA schools.

Hanahan/Branchville/Broome and a few other schools have fought this fight for years,,,,, it was never addressed because it wasn't affecting the bigger schools. Now that the bigger schools are losing kids, it will be addressed.

I don't know any way that is fair other than using a multiplyer. Smaller schools may actually benefit if the charter and private schools leave. When is the last time a traditional small town school has won a state championship in soccer? I remember a 1A state championship that ended 13-0.

and yes,,, Ashley Ridge has long used their programs to be able to get athletes in from throughout DD2. But that doesn't bother be as much as the new state charter schools that have absolutely zero attendance lines competing against school that do.

Goal
Goal
a soccer coach working for peanuts and cracker jacks

I want to know what greedy person is getting cracker jacks!

In all seriousness though, small schools will always struggle to GSSM and charters. The tale of the tape will be how Oceanside performs in this next realignment. BE and Magnet have seemed to be do alright. I mean last year is the first time in how long that Academic Magnet / Bishop England boys haven't been in the State Championship game but even so they got to the 3rd and Lower state championship rounds.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
I think we have traveled down this road before.
Any predictions on what happens?

The 1.5 multiplier was turned down in 2006.

http://thedanielislandnews.com/opinions/be-remain-aa

"In a vote that essentially went along competitive lines, the leagues A, AA and AAAA schools cast a majority of their votes in support of a rule that would have created a conversion factor for private schools competing in the public school athletic league. Two-thirds vote was necessary to implement the change."

The issue was addressed again, in 2015.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/sc...124515bf7a.html

"The S.C. High School decided Tuesday to divide its member schools into five classifications beginning in 2016-17, but punted on a proposal that would have forced private schools such as Bishop England to play up a class.

My prediction based on past history is no change.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard