Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Goal
Goal
The cracker jacks part was me dreaming.

I agree that it all ends up with no change. With no logical solution, they will just leave it the same.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard the football coach at Oceanside say that they do have an attendance zone and if players come from that zone they have to sit out a year. Is that true?

Also, they would never put us in SCISA because we are a public school.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Oceanside is a State Charter. Their attendance zone is the state of SC.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I agree,,, I don’t see any workable solution. I do know that last time there was a big push, it was directed at the private schools. Now that you have statewide athletic charter schools there is more momentum to address it. The Bishop England’s and other private schools in the schsl were easy for the big schools to just ignore. But now you have schools like Wando, Summerville, Northwestern, Rock Hill and Dutch Fork all losing kids to the new charter schools. There will be more push to address the attendance line loop hole. They have already started by simply refusing to schedule them.

The charter schools have a statewide attendance zone. They can attract students from anywhere. They do have to follow the same rules if they transfer to their school after already attending another school. They have to sit out a year. But if a kid enrolls there at the beginning of thier freshman year ,,, they would be immediately eligible regardless of where live.

J
Throw In
Throw In
J
Promotion / relegation?

Goal
Goal
HAHAHA you have jokes. The reason I looked into other states was to create a report on why SC could use it and its overall effectiveness but in the end I stopped because again, if Football wouldn't agree to it then no one else is getting special treatment. I do think it would benefit many non-football sports. The 3A-4A teams who can only really compete at the 2A level and the 3A schools who could take down 5A schools. I would love Pro/Rel but it would take "too much work" and another subcommittee to put it all together

Goal
Goal
I'm not so sure promotion/relegation would work in high school soccer anyway.
Would you just promote the champion? top 2?
Things can change so quickly in high school soccer with the turn over in players that a team that does well one year, might not be good the next.
Plus it could be a travel nightmare.
Take 3A girls last year. BE won so they move up. That puts them in a region with Hilton Head, Bluffton, Colleton County and Beaufort. That is a horrible travel schedule.

World Cup
World Cup
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard the football coach at Oceanside say that they do have an attendance zone and if players come from that zone they have to sit out a year. Is that true?

Let me attempt to clear this up on attendance at the charter schools, since I'm at Gray Collegiate Academy (GCA) in West Columbia. GCA is a sister school of both Oceanside Collegiate Academy (Mt. Pleasant) and Legion Collegiate Academy (Rock Hill) under the ownership of Pinnacle Charter -- http://pinnaclecharteracademies.com/

For SCHSL purposes, geographically, GCA resides in the Lexington Two School District attendance zone (Airport HS & Brookland-Cayce HS), although we are governed by the Charter Institute at Erskine. Under this arrangement, student-athletes (grades 9-12) from AHS or BCHS could move to GCA and be eligible for athletics immediately at the varsity level and vice versa as well.

However, as a statewide district, charter schools can have students attend from all over the state, but with parameters. For instance, if a student-athlete is a 10th grader from a school district other than Lexington Two (i.e. Lexington 1 or Richland 1) and transfers to GCA mid-year, that student can only participate at the sub-varsity (JV) level at GCA, until the following year when they would be eligible for varsity. If a student enrolls at GCA prior to 9th grade (cannot attend their home zone school at all), that student may participate a the varsity level as a freshman. However, if they attend even one day at their home zone school, they establish their eligibility at that institution. Of course, there are no public school buses provided to charter schools, so transportation is up to the students attending.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin Heise

Let me attempt to clear this up on attendance at the charter schools, since I'm at Gray Collegiate Academy (GCA) in West Columbia. GCA is a sister school of both Oceanside Collegiate Academy (Mt. Pleasant) and Legion Collegiate Academy (Rock Hill) under the ownership of Pinnacle Charter -- http://pinnaclecharteracademies.com/

For SCHSL purposes, geographically, GCA resides in the Lexington Two School District attendance zone (Airport HS & Brookland-Cayce HS), although we are governed by the Charter Institute at Erskine. Under this arrangement, student-athletes (grades 9-12) from AHS or BCHS could move to GCA and be eligible for athletics immediately at the varsity level and vice versa as well.

However, as a statewide district, charter schools can have students attend from all over the state, but with parameters. For instance, if a student-athlete is a 10th grader from a school district other than Lexington Two (i.e. Lexington 1 or Richland 1) and transfers to GCA mid-year, that student can only participate at the sub-varsity (JV) level at GCA, until the following year when they would be eligible for varsity. If a student enrolls at GCA prior to 9th grade (cannot attend their home zone school at all), that student may participate a the varsity level as a freshman. However, if they attend even one day at their home zone school, they establish their eligibility at that institution. Of course, there are no public school buses provided to charter schools, so transportation is up to the students attending.

Thank you. So for admissions purpose and SCHSL attendance zones, those two are not necessarily equivalent. Oceanside is a state charter (like Gray), but the SCHSL defines their attendance zone for athletic purposes as the same as Wando's.

On another note, it appears this amendment is dead based on input that it may conflict with a proviso by the legislature that prevents magnet and charter schools from being treated differently than regular public schools.

The workaround suggested by the ADs was a rule that would apply to all SCHSL schools, but would impact some schools considerably more than others. That proposal was to deny eligibility to any student that did not enroll from one of that schools feeder schools. The primary exception would be a verified change of address.

An unanswered question that was brought up was how to address school of choice scenarios. This would certainly impact those without feeder schools.

On a completely different note, Boys volleyball may become sanctioned by the SCHSL. Of course football balked at it being played in the fall and pushed fo it to be in the spring - with baseball, soccer, track, and lacrosse. Because the spring isn't congested enough.

Goal
Goal
Is boys volleyball going to play on the football field? smile

J
Throw In
Throw In
J
Promotion/relegation could work - logistically, it would work as well as anything else that we’ve done. Regions & classifications change and that affects travel, as well. Someone will always have an issue with travel, no matter what system we use.

If we’re talking about possibly moving schools to different brackets because of issues dealing with student admittance procedures, then pro/rel is the next logical step. Better programs compete against the better programs, sink or swim. That’s part of the logic for having a set-up based on student population, correct?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard