Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz

Yes, get rid of regions and go to Geographic conferences with everyone needing a region if they want one!!!!
Boiling Springs to Mauldin, Dorman, etc and Clover, FM, NAFO to Northwestern and Rock Hill seems to make a lot more sense doesn't it??? The problem is trying to artificially fit 40 teams into regions that don't make sense. And I am not in favor of pro/rel.

I do have a question, how many students at our largest 5A schools play sports?

For all sports or just soccer? There are winners and losers in each scenario.

Wando has 175 kids come out for boys soccer every year. Almost all of them play club. The 150 or so boys they cut are more boys than most all the boys enrolled at most 1A schools.

Every school in 1A through 5A can offer the same amount of teams. Military Magnet has a coed team with few if any kids that play on club. Cross and St. Johns are similar. They are in the same geographic locale as Wando, Academic Magnet and BE. They are no where close to level playing fields. Same conference?

Green Sea Floyd. I think they would prefer the current status then play Conway, Socastee, MB and NMB regularly.

Similar discrepancies exist in the Southeast with Allendale Fairfax, Whale Branch, Battery Creek, May River, Hilton Head, Beaufort and Bluffton.

Would you include Chesnee, Blacksburg, Landrum in that same conference with Boiling Springs, Mauldin, Dorman?

No easy answers, though I do appreciate the discussion.

I would say all sports. Then within conferences they could break up however they want (10 or 12 teams with 2 divisions). They do this in other states to great success.
Schools could join any conference with a preference to only 2 divisions (say 4A and 5A) in one conference, but allow for schools to petition to join conferences. So if a 3A school wants to play in a 4A/5A conference because they can compete and it benefits their athletes they could petition and get it. If a team wanted to be independent and play whoever, they could.

Great discussion!

Goal
Goal
This is what I would like to see:
Do away with regions and every classification goes to a seeding meeting for playoffs. Let your record and schedule speak for itself. If you know you are going to be "down" then you can schedule accordingly but understand that you could be left out of the tournament or seeded accordingly.

That way I'm not going to Georgetown on a Tuesday, to Manning on a Thursday and to Wacammaw on a Tuesday. All of which are a least 90 minutes one way.

I was going to type more but stepping into a meeting. Dang work getting in the way.

J
Throw In
Throw In
J
What about using our bigger tournaments as a way to mitigate the travel issue? The Viking Cup (and others) could function as a sort of go between site for teams to play....

Kind of like how track has region meets....

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
Do away with regions and every classification goes to a seeding meeting for playoffs. Let your record and schedule speak for itself. If you know you are going to be "down" then you can schedule accordingly but understand that you could be left out of the tournament or seeded accordingly.

That way I'm not going to Georgetown on a Tuesday, to Manning on a Thursday and to Wacammaw on a Tuesday. All of which are a least 90 minutes one way.

I was going to type more but stepping into a meeting. Dang work getting in the way.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I agree with Allister

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong

How would you ensure that all schools got games? For example, If the local large schools don’t want to play Allendale Fairfax, how do they get games. Some schools would fill their schedules quickly (yours for argument sake) while others then have to scramble to find open games/dates.

The current structure ensures everyone gets a home and away within the region. Even with that, some schools struggle to fill their non-conference. It helps create some measure of equity.

Goal
Goal
I actually made that point in an earlier post about it being harder for smaller schools to get games.
I don't know the answer to that on how to ensure everyone gets games. I came up with a random number just because you don't want teams playing a 5 game schedule and trying to get in the playoffs.

Even if they don't do away with regions, which I know they won't, I'd like to see seeding meeting for playoffs. I know from experience that the two of the best teams can come from the same region but have to play an away game in Round 2 because of predetermined brackets.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Yes. That aspect is something that I believe needs a fix. Just looking at AAA, the 3rd place team in one Region might would finish 1st in another.

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Yes. That aspect is something that I believe needs a fix. Just looking at AAA, the 3rd place team in one Region might would finish 1st in another.

Completely agree with that statement. Didn't we recently see, I do not recall what sport, a team who was I defeated have to travel for a playoff game in a 2nd or 3rd round game? It was odd to see. Maybe Wando 2 years ago had to travel to River Bluff maybe?

All levels need a seeding meeting and yes you'll have some arguments and head butting but usually in the end, everyone gets seeded appropriately (for the most part)

S
Brace
Brace
S
Seeding would be great & I think using the MaxPreps SOS formula to factor into a team’s record would help deviate teams scheduling a bunch of weaker programs just to say they got 20 wins

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard