Next Thread
Print Thread
eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal

World Cup
World Cup
I would love to see this happen! However, rumors abound that if it passes, some D1 schools will do away with men's soccer.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
This would be absolutely amazing. Next up: an 8 month high school season driven by player development not profit, with a chance to have a true statewide league with promotion and relegation. A man can dream...

World Cup
World Cup
NCAA hits pause button on men's college soccer's quest for split-season
Mike Woitalla, Soccer America

Thanks to an effort spearheaded by University of Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski, the NCAA seemed on the brink of approving major reform for men's college soccer with a Division I Council vote in late April. But a decision on the proposal to switch to a fall-spring split season has been put on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 21st Century Model D1 Men's Soccer Coaches Committee, which had the backing of three power conferences (the Big 10, ACC and Pac-12) for the legislation, released a statement supporting the NCAA D1 Legislative Committee's recommendation to table the vote:
"We remain steadfast in our belief that the 21st Century Model is in the best interests of our student-athletes and men's college soccer. However, with so much uncertainty, we will be committed to working with campus, conference and committee leaders to adapt, plan and prepare for a timely return to action while awaiting an appropriate timetable to reconsider our proposal and vote."

The men's college proposal is one of more than 60 on docket for an April vote and the NCAA has tabled nearly all of them. While the format of college soccer may seem insignificant amid this deadly pandemic, frustrating nonetheless is the fact that the Cirovski-led quest had come so close to the finish line.

For decades, men's college coaches' attempts to improve the player development environment within NCAA regulations had never gotten as far. In addition to the power conference support in what would be a weighted vote in their favor, the proposal also got the support of Faculty Athletic Representatives.

It would only apply to D1 men, which removed an obstacle that in the past prevented other reforms. The proposal also had arguments in its favor hard to refute by those claiming to have the best interests of student-athletes in mind: Spreading games out over a longer period of time is healthier for players and less invasive on academic demands. The split season could eliminate most midweek games. (A D1 college soccer team plays a regular season of 17-19 games in 10 weeks, in addition to a couple exhibition games in the week prior, and NCAA postseason games.)

The split season would also put playoffs and the championship in spring weather -- a solution to low-attended final fours in inclement conditions -- and allow a week break between the semifinals and final instead of the current one-day rest.

The proposal was to launch the new men's soccer format for the 2022-23 season. It's much too soon to make predictions about the future of college sports in the wake of COVID-19, which led to the canceling of the NCAA's most lucrative event -- the basketball tournament that brought in nearly $1 billion of revenue in 2019.

The men's soccer proposal would be more or less a budget neutral change and when the NCAA sorts out the new reality created by the COVID-19 interruption, it may have not diluted any of the benefits of switching to the split season. But for now, everything's on hold.

"We waited for seven years," said Cirovski. "We can wait a little longer."

World Cup
World Cup
Soccer America - Mike Woitalla

University of Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski led the Division I men's college's reform movement for a fall-spring season that has been put on hold because of coronavirus interruption. The pandemic has shifted the focus of men's D1 coaches to securing a future for their programs amid the financial uncertainties inflicted by the closing of campuses and preparing various return-to-play scenarios. We spoke with Cirovski after the NCAA Division I Council rejected a request from conferences for a waiver on the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor.

SOCCER AMERICA: Your reaction to the NCAA's rejection on Friday of the 27 Division I conferences' request for a blanket waiver on Division I requirements on the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor?

SASHO CIROVSKI: My initial reaction was one of happiness and relief as the blank check for dropping programs was denied, however my optimism is tempered by the sobering reality that some men’s team sports are still in real danger, including men’s soccer. Many schools that offer above the minimum required sports programs will be looking to cut costs and I fear the longer it takes for higher education to normalize, the greater the risk for elimination of sports. Also, it looks like the NCAA is open to evaluating individual school requests for a waiver as well.

SA: Do you think men's college coaches around the country are feeling much better about their programs' future thanks to that decision?

SASHO CIROVSKI: Fortunately, for many of our coaches, the speed at which this proposal to waive minimum sports requirements came about and the equally fast “save the sports campaign” really mitigated the panic from settling in. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and at least for the forseeable future, our coaches are very thankful. Rob Kehoe, our United Soccer Coaches Program Director, explained the consequences of this decision on a Thursday conference call to all of our D1 reps and within about 28 hours, we all breathed easier knowing the decision was favorable. Every college soccer coach right now is going through their budgets and looking at ways to save money because every athletic department will be doing cost containment exercises.

SA: Is there other legislation that the Division I Council will soon be considering that will threaten men's college soccer?

SASHO CIROVSKI: I am not aware of any such legislation at the moment, but the Division I Council meets again in May and they will continue discussions to try to help schools and conferences deal with the current challenges, so we’ll learn more in the coming weeks.

SA: There's been speculation that a postponement of the 2020 football could hurt men's college soccer and the so-called non-revenue sports. Why is that?

SASHO CIROVSKI: For schools like mine that rely on college football as one of the major sources of revenue, an academic year that does not include college football would be catastrophic. I believe there will be college football during the 2020-2021 year, however, it’s impossible to predict when their games may begin.

It appears that college football is looking at a variety of scenarios/contingencies right now from a reduced fall season to a full spring season as well as some version of a split season. While a sub-optimal football season will have varied dramatic negative effects on campuses that sponsor men’s soccer, the bigger question for all of college athletics is “will there be students on campus this fall?” The majority of athletic departments get some type of funding from the university -- no students will equal no funding -- which will lead to drastic cuts in athletic opportunities. We’re all praying that students will be back on campus at some point this fall.

SA: What options are there for men's college soccer should the pandemic require a postponement of the 2020 fall college soccer?

SASHO CIROVSKI: Every conference right know is going through an exercise of how we can operate in the fall in a budget-conscious way if we start on time or if we have a delayed start. We have not discussed this at length nationally but will be very soon. Apart from a regular timely start to a fall season, there are really only three options.

First, a delayed/reduced fall season. Second, a full/reduced spring season. Third, is what we’re calling a flex season, which is a reduced version of the 21st Century Model we have been advocating for the past seven years.

As the uncertainty of this crisis unfolds, we must be prepared to provide a unified, proactive and thoughtful solution to the key decision-makers regarding what’s best for our student-athletes and for our game. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but the third option makes the most sense if we cannot fit a season of integrity into the fall. In other words, I don’t want the season to be so short that it compromises the NCAA Championship experience. If we are forced to move to the spring, then it makes sense to get as many games that count in the fall to finish the season in the spring. It could be a great trial run of our 21st Century Model.

SA: How are your players doing during this pandemic interruption? How are you connecting with them?

SASHO CIROVSKI: Our players are coping. They understand what is going on. They are focusing on doing all they can to stay healthy physically and emotionally. Thankfully, I have not had to remind them that social distancing doesn’t apply to the ball. We have regular Zoom team gatherings and individual meetings to stay in touch. We’ve also had some alums pop in on Zoom calls to talk about their time at Maryland and beyond. They are very anxious to get back together even if it’s in small groups. It’s very evident how much they miss each other.

SA: Are your players on campus or have they gone home? Did the international students on your team go home?

SASHO CIROVSKI: The majority of our players have gone home. We have a few guys that are still recovering from surgeries and are getting treatment at an off-campus physical therapy clinic. Six of our eight international players have gone home.

SA: Can you predict how the pandemic will affect international students on U.S. college teams and the incoming freshmen who had planned to arrive in the fall?

SASHO CIROVSKI: The currently enrolled internationals should be fine since they have a student visa but the incoming crop of internationals may have some issues depending on their country of origin and whatever travel bans are in place by July/August. We are confident that all of our international returnees and recruits will be here when the time comes for us to start training.

SA: In general, how has the pandemic affected the incoming freshmen who have been recruited?

SASHO CIROVSKI: We have been in touch with all of our recruits and like everyone else, they are very anxious living through this uncertainty brought on by the pandemic. However, I’ve been impressed by their ability to process and to be calm amid the craziness.

SA: Do you have any advice for high school juniors and seniors who may be anxious about their college soccer hopes?

SASHO CIROVSKI: My simple advice is simply to focus on what you can control. Stay safe, connect as much as you can with your future teammates and coaches and find ways to be productive. It’s a great time to work on your individual comfort and mastery of the ball. College soccer will be back soon and we are all working very hard to make it better for you and better for our country.

SA: Can you speculate on the best (and worst case if you're inclined) scenarios on how the recovery from the pandemic interruption can unfold?

SASHO CIROVSKI: The best-case scenario is that things normalize in the fall but due to concerns for student-athlete well-being combined with a thoughtful cost containment strategy the NCAA implements a flexible two-semester solution for our season. The worst case ... well, let's not go there yet! I’m an eternal optimist so let's hope for the best and prepare to meet the challenge!

SA: Anything else you'd like to address?

SASHO CIROVSKI: I would love nothing more than to have U.S. Soccer officially recognize the importance of college soccer and make us a part of their pyramid. I’m hoping that the new leadership understands the pivotal role that college soccer plays in the fabric of the American soccer landscape and embraces working together in creating a new path forward in our new normal.

Link Copied to Clipboard