Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: SharksFutbol
Seeding would be great & I think using the MaxPreps SOS formula to factor into a team’s record would help deviate teams scheduling a bunch of weaker programs just to say they got 20 wins

That would be great! Now get every single program to actually fill out their schedules like they are supposed to... also WITHOUT adding the scrimmages grin

Goal
Goal
I'm not sure I fully trust those Max Preps rankings. Keep an eye on them this year and watch where they rank some teams. I could be wrong but I feel like it's not the best way.

I think some states are required to use them or their team isn't playoff eligible. I believe I heard that somewhere or maybe just made it up... I like to make this up sometimes.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I'm not sure I fully trust those Max Preps rankings.

Fair enough! I brought this up at the United Soccer Coaches High School Rankings Committee last Thursday in Baltimore and have asked our leadership at that level to confer with MaxPreps about tweaking their formula. Kyle spoke with Alisa Dancer of MaxPreps about this as well.

Way too many 'points' are awarded to larger classification schools in addition to 'wins' in general due to their logarithm formula. There are fallacies with the MaxPreps ratings, but if everyone would enter their schedules and scores in a timely manner, a lot of the discrepancies will work themselves out.

As for making stuff up, you are not wrong. North Carolina bases their playoffs solely on the MaxPreps ratings.

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Kevin Heise
but if everyone would enter their schedules and scores in a timely manner, a lot of the discrepancies will work themselves out

Why not make it a requirement to fill out MaxPreps schedules and results for all sports?

Scores must be posted within 48 hours of the contest. Also, why can we still not have a "scrimmage" status surely the technology is available?

S
Brace
Brace
S
What’s the consequences of program that don’t post on MaxPreps if it’s mandatory? Not like it has any effect whatsoever on anything. I agree everyone should post, but I wouldn’t be surprised if schools disregard since there’d be no repercussions if you don’t post scores there.

Good points on rankings too

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
Goal
What’s the consequences of program that don’t post on MaxPreps if it’s mandatory? Not like it has any effect whatsoever on anything. I agree everyone should post, but I wouldn’t be surprised if schools disregard since there’d be no repercussions if you don’t post scores there.

Fines. It's a major system that assists in the vital operation of sports within the HSL. By not reporting, the schools are neglecting the importance of the SCHSL & ruining the integrity of the sports and league.

Or some sort of "this is important" speak

If it effects the integrity of the state playoffs then it could be pushed. It's simple point and click. But that's putting too much responsibility on others to do a simple task properly

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup

The first year North Carolina instituted this policy for its' NCHSCA members a basketball team was omitted from the postseason despite winning its' conference and a perfect regular season record. In the Tar Heel state, the roundball is king and this sent a major message to all sports programs that it will be enforced to the fullest.

In my opinion, if you have a useful tool - use it! Does it have its quirks? Yes! However, the more data and information it can compile the better the system. With the SCHSSCA we have had really good participation for most SCHSL and SCISA members. However, there are some pockets of the state that need to be addressed so if you know of a coach not contributing - then do the right thing and inform them.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard