Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
SCHSL Playoff Proposal
(1) Seeding committee needed
- Two coaches from each region
- Tournament director for each major HS tournament (Viking Cup, Capital City Cup, Nike Palmetto Cup, etc)
(2) Top two finishers from each region automatically qualify for playoffs > Seeding committee determines 1-8 for both Upper/Lower State
(3) All other teams must APPLY to participate in playoffs > Seeding committee determines 9-16 Upper/Lower State
(4) Two games per week
- Would allow for a full 48hr recovery time
- Would be less (consecutive) school time missed by those that have to travel greater distances
(5) Finals BACK to USC - plenty of seating, great natural surface, central location, no "home field" advantage

W
Bench
Bench
W
My opinion is that most sports at all classifications need a seeding committee. At the end of the day people want the best teams in the playoffs. I don't advocate for taking every team because I think that diminishes the regular season. I was on a 1A seeding committee early on in my coaching career and things like region champions are still taken into account, but so are tournament winners, depth of region, and strength of schedule.

I would be similar in thought to Coach Dunbaker except taking the top 3 from each region and then having applications for 4 wild card spots from each of the upper and lower states. Theoretically 2 or more of those wild cards could go to teams in the same region. This helps with regions that may be deeper than others. Region champs would be guaranteed a seed in the top 8 of their respective upper or lower state and therefore guaranteed at least 1 home game. Committee needs to have both coaches and ADs.

I agree with common locations for upper and lower state. Those could rotate so upper state could utilize Furman, Clemson, Winthrop, ... for example. Common location for state championship as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard