OP Online Content
Goal
S

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Great list, thank you SCSoccer..

Reposting this here for Surf in case the letters SCSSC isn’t correlated with SC Surf- formerly NASA and USAMP.

Surf: https://southcarolinasurfsoccer.com/evaluations/

Again great work on this list.

World Cup
World Cup

T
Kickoff
Kickoff
T
Has anyone see what the expected registration fees for GPS Charleston will be? I saw they posted the NPL fees but nothing else.

E
Throw In
Throw In
E
Originally Posted By: TwinsDad09
Has anyone see what the expected registration fees for GPS Charleston will be? I saw they posted the NPL fees but nothing else.

Should probably start up a new 'fees and costs' thread! Though always difficult to compare as each club seems to include (or not include!) different things in fees. Saw a local club that does not include ref or league fees in their standard fee. Odd.

But as to your question, I believe they will be the same as JIYSC minus 10% - 15% as fewer tournaments will be included in base price. Hope that helps, I would hope they publish that soon.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Originally Posted By: EastOak961
Saw a local club that does not include ref or league fees in their standard fee. Odd.

I find it strange so many clubs (and parents) are seeing this inclusion of variable costs as a good thing. We have certainly moved in this direction by inclusion of our league fees in club fees but retain refs dues as separate item at team level for several reasons, and to highlight why parents should accept this minor annoyance as a very good thing and saving most of them money...

Easy example, COVID19 and spring cancellation, no question of refund since these are never paid. I wonder how many parents got spring ref money back
Similar example, one ref doesn't show (or no ref at all) at a game. You are paying for something in advance not likely to be refunded
Games get cancelled due to weather etc. and no chance to make up in season, so are abandoned. You very likely lose money (someone pockets - not ref)
In our case, we charge same for U8-U12 Junior Academy yet ref fees are very different at U10 and U11 (one man vs 3 man crew)
In our case we charge the same regardless of the league your team plays in. Ref fees are very much bound to the league you play in and fees vary widely even within same age group. For example, Piedmont would be more than Open at U13. Another example, CPDL in lowcountry charges way more than CPL for ref fees for our Junior Academy teams.
Logistically most leagues (refs) still accept cash only at the field in advance of kickoff, so does the club distribute cash at start of season or during? Who gets any surplus if one ref doesn't show, etc. and poor old team manager has to track all of this and worry about splitting $15 9 ways.

All in all, we see the convenience all in club pricing on front end, but its a poor option administratively today and (financially) for parents
I'd suggest very few clubs (including CASC) like to give money away, and so will very likely build their fees conservatively to pad for higher end of ref rates, etc.
This will mean the greater population will likely underwrite the minority.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
Goal
OP Online Content
Goal
S
Last year, CSC did all-In pricing; had no team managers; offered reasonable refund/donation options for shortened spring season. Other clubs had team managers and were able to do the same.

This year for CSC there are price variations based on age and league and they are posted. It can be both complex AND documented.

https://www.chssoccerclub.com/club-fees

E
Throw In
Throw In
E
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
Originally Posted By: EastOak961
Saw a local club that does not include ref or league fees in their standard fee. Odd.

I find it strange so many clubs (and parents) are seeing this inclusion of variable costs as a good thing. We have certainly moved in this direction by inclusion of our league fees in club fees but retain refs dues as separate item at team level for several reasons, and to highlight why parents should accept this minor annoyance as a very good thing and saving most of them money...

Easy example, COVID19 and spring cancellation, no question of refund since these are never paid. I wonder how many parents got spring ref money back
Similar example, one ref doesn't show (or no ref at all) at a game. You are paying for something in advance not likely to be refunded
Games get cancelled due to weather etc. and no chance to make up in season, so are abandoned. You very likely lose money (someone pockets - not ref)
In our case, we charge same for U8-U12 Junior Academy yet ref fees are very different at U10 and U11 (one man vs 3 man crew)
In our case we charge the same regardless of the league your team plays in. Ref fees are very much bound to the league you play in and fees vary widely even within same age group. For example, Piedmont would be more than Open at U13. Another example, CPDL in lowcountry charges way more than CPL for ref fees for our Junior Academy teams.
Logistically most leagues (refs) still accept cash only at the field in advance of kickoff, so does the club distribute cash at start of season or during? Who gets any surplus if one ref doesn't show, etc. and poor old team manager has to track all of this and worry about splitting $15 9 ways.

All in all, we see the convenience all in club pricing on front end, but its a poor option administratively today and (financially) for parents
I'd suggest very few clubs (including CASC) like to give money away, and so will very likely build their fees conservatively to pad for higher end of ref rates, etc.
This will mean the greater population will likely underwrite the minority.

It is the convenience and knowing what your costs are up front. It also creates transparency. I certainly have known people who were told one 'cost' at the club only to turn around have a 'team' fee that was 50% of the entire 'cost' tacked on and then more fees later as things were missed, etc.

Plus, then you are not dependent on a team manager 'keeping the books' and having to hound parents for money (and there are always people who don't pay or take weeks, etc.). There is also the possibility of money going 'missing' at the team level, etc. All in all, seems like death by a thousand cuts. Most parents are too busy to want to deal with that and would rather just pay a set fee (I know I would).

As you noted, more and more clubs are moving in this direction for a reason. And, it should also make comparing actual club costs much easier for parents who want to shop around (which should be good for everyone involved in youth soccer).

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
For sure the transparency and comparison options are great points.
And CSC does a good job of factoring several of my examples into their publication, but also prove a few others.
My big takeaway remains youth soccer is way too expensive and what is up with that facilities cost separated out? Don't we charge enough without adding more for fields that should be standard cost of doing business. Consider 500 members and that offers $50,000. Probably not enough to cover all field rentals/upkeep or even likely the actual cost so I see this just as an added parent tax.

To me, what is missing other than some clubs hiding extras, or some teams offering more and charging for more than standard services is the ability of teams and clubs to cover many of the 'variable' operating costs through sponsorship and fundraising. In my experience as a parent, coach and administrator it is not unusual for clubs to underwrite parts of costs (training equipment etc.) through sponsorship (I know we do). And team parents often raise significant amounts for other team level costs. I have witnessed one team in the past raising more than $5K and eliminating large parts of all variable overhead including uniforms. Even my team last year covered enough for coach travel and ref fees entirely without asking parents for a dime. Fixed costs sort of renders this ability moot unless they pay themselves back the cash?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard