Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Lots of discussion on Twitter about proposals being made for the future. Here is one that was submitted by a colleague:

I assume you are still on the board for the SC Soccer Coaches Association.

I wanted to touch base with you about the schedule that the football association has submitted. Here are my objections:

1. Like you/your brother mentioned on twitter. If seasons are cancelled, they are cancelled. Do not move anything. The response was that without football profit, there are no other sports. Untrue.
https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20090713/news/801231438
Ask for school to produce a detailed audit of ALL money; including coaching stipends and AD/Assistant AD positions. Then the league should be asked if you take 2 games of income away what happens.

2. More athletes participate in spring sports. If we are doing what is best for the students, it should be the majority of students and since many football players participate in a spring sport they will still be served.

3. What happens for baseball, softball and girls lacrosse if the fall is then cancelled? They lose two seasons.

4. Since not playing football will not be an option for the ADs (for NO good reason), swap the entire 3rd and 4th season. Put soccer, boys lacrosse, etc from Jan 25 - April 2 and put football, cheer, volleyball, girls lacrosse (football can share the field), baseball and softball to the end. This would allow us to start pre-season as soon as we get back from winter break jan 11 - 22 (including scrimmages), play 16 games (2 per week) and have a full 2 weeks of playoffs. This would allow the fields to be in good shape for soccer, as the surface is actually important for us. It would allow us to have a full season and our season wouldn't be interrupted by spring break (which they conveniently didn't mention was one of our 10 weeks) or prom and graduation. Football can deal with those since they didn't already lose a season.

That would be a compromise and not just saying no which will never happen. Don't know if you could get baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc coaching associations on board with this. If all of the spring sport associations go in with an alternative plan (above would be an example) and a lawyer, the league will be more likely to listen.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
And this was submitted from another HS soccer Coach after their discussion with their AD:

Under proposals "C" and "D" from the SCFCA that would rearrange and/or condense sports seasons....I am deeply concerned about the amount of contests lost by the spring sports over a 2 year period vs. the fall/winter sports over a 1 year period. If either are adopted, or a variation of either, I propose when reducing the contests and duration of seasons, fall/winter be shortened disproportionately to that of the spring sports. While spring sports would still lose contests, it would still be afforded more time and contests in comparison to the other seasons due to the almost complete loss of the 2020 season.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Just received this from SCACA and need a reply by July 10 (Friday).

Chairpersons,

Hope each one of you and your family are safely living through this pandemic. Our state, school districts, and coaches have challenging decisions to make regarding athletics in the next couple of weeks. You, as the chairpersons, are the representatives of the coaches throughout the state. We have talked with a few of you, but feel it is imperative that we in the SCACA Office get feedback and rationale from each of our Auxiliary Groups. We know that you are aware of the "talk" of plans, ideas, proposals that are being circulated. Certainly, the safety and health of our students/athletes and coaches are our number one concerns.

The SCHSL and their Executive Committee will have the task of making the final decision, but having an organized document of your concerns, pressing needs, suggestions, positive comments, etc. may have an impact on their decisions.

Since this is a timely matter, we will appreciate hearing from you by Friday, July 10th in order to compile the information and let you proof before sending to the SCHSL.
--
R. Shell Dula
South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association
Executive Director

C
Coach
Coach
C
I feel like we're in the goalkeeper's shoes on a penalty kick--knowing we have to commit to a direction before we know for sure which way the ball's going. Only this time, it's more like committing to a direction before the kicker walks up to the mark...

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup
Great analogy, Will!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Another quality proposal:

First, I think ADs and the SCHSL should make every effort to limit the disruption to spring sports. Spring sports took the brunt of the 2020 season being cancelled so those players deserve to have the most normal season of the three (fall, winter, spring). However, I have a feeling that ADs and the SCHSL will simply make the decision that is in the best interest of football.

With that said, here is my plan. I call it the 4-3-2 plan.

- Fall sports would begin 4 weeks later than their SCHSL listed start date. Their regular season end date would be pushed 2 weeks later.
* For instance, this year Week 0 for football is August 21. This year week 0 would be September 18. Playoffs would then begin November 20.
* Yes, this is going to push football into Thanksgiving and possibly Winter Break. This is an excuse I do not want to hear since spring players lost essentially their whole season last year.

- Winter sports would begin 3 weeks later than their SCHSL listed start date. Their regular season end date would be pushed 1 week later.

- Spring Spots would begin 2 weeks later than their SCHSL listed start date. Their regular season end date would not change.

I would propose all seasons get 3 week of preseason (negotiable). This allows for 1 week of tryouts and 2 weeks of team prep, scrimmages, etc. For us with soccer, we would get a week of tryouts then maybe 2 scrimmages. If you want to try and squeeze a tournament in there, be my guest. I would probably not.

Open seasons would need to be adjusted.

The staggered start dates allows for students who play multiple sports.

Finally, any proposal that involves soccer, football and lacrosse playing at the same time should be shelved immediately as that is not logistically possible.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Excellent Zoom meeting with boys/girls soccer coaches from across the state. Details to follow soon.

C
Coach
Coach
C
This makes good sense.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup
South Carolina High School Soccer Coaches Association
2020-2021 South Carolina High School League Academic Calendar Covid-19 Proposal

July 10, 2020

The South Carolina High School Soccer Coaches Association (SCHSSCA) submits the following proposal to the South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association (SCACA) for the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) 2020-2021 Academic Calendar due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

This proposal took into consideration feedback from SCHSSCA membership via input from its’ message board, emails, social media, and direct conversations, including a panel of SCHSSCA members on a Zoom conference call July 9, 2020.

Foremost, the SCHSSCA would prefer that no decision on the 2020-2021 SCHSL Calendar be altered until deemed absolute necessary. Having lost the 2020 Spring soccer campaign just two weeks into the regular season, the SCHSSCA adamantly believes the SCHSL should respect the integrity of each sport and their allotted season. Should the SCHSL have to deal with postponements or even cancellations of other athletics in the Fall or Winter seasons, then unfortunately those sports may have to deal with the same ramifications that 2020 Spring athletic programs faced earlier this year.

After discussions with other Spring auxiliary coaches’ associations, the SCHSSCA believes SCHSL Spring sports have already sacrificed enough. If it happens to the Fall/Winter campaigns we hope those sports will display the same dignity that the Spring sports (baseball, b-golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, b-tennis, track/field) demonstrated this past year.

However, a formal conversation has taken place amongst SCHSSCA members and numerous proposals were discussed. Our Association – should a need arise – would be prepared to convey these alternatives with the SCHSL. What our Association would request is to have representation about any decisions that could affect prep soccer during the 2020-2021 academic year. Again, we hope that is not necessary, but are willing to work with the SCHSL to ensure another lost high school soccer season is not realized for its’ players, coaches, officials, families, and fans.

The SCHSSCA appreciates its’ parent organization, SCACA, for inclusion on this task as we work our way through the best-case scenarios for our student-athletes and coaches. It is our hopes and wishes that a full Spring prep athletics season will come to fruition in 2021.

Kevin Heise, Associate State Chairman
South Carolina High School Soccer Coaches Association
Gray Collegiate Academy

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard