Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Coaches,
Here is the e mail I sent to Mr. Beasley on behalf of the SCBCA. Please ask your principals/AD to send an e mail to Mr Beasley requesting that spring sports open season be reinstated. Also, try to get your other coaches to contact their sport organization rep to send e mails to him also. Have your softball coaches contact CAWS. This needs to be done before Wed. Nov l8.

Mr. Beasley,

On behalf of the SCBCA, I would like to propose that our spring sports open season be reinstated by the HSL. If the entire 20 days can not be reinstated, then we would like to have the opportunity to coach our players and prepare them for the upcoming season with 15 days between Jan 4th and Jan 22nd for the following reasons and concerns from our baseball coaches at all levels in our association.

1- The lack of an open season basically gives us only 1 week to have tryouts, get ready to scrimmage and prepare pitchers for competition. Arm care and player safety is of utmost importance and an open season would allow coaches to properly prepare players arms for the season before tryouts. Starting Feb 1 without an open season would put players preparing on their own for tryouts and the upcoming season.

2- Player development has been delayed since the season was suspended in March of this year. While some players have played travel ball, they have not been able to practice with their high school coaches, which hurts the players being developed in specific skills. An open season would allow coaches to work with players on specific fundamental skills that have been neglected and are much needed before the season starts.

3- During the beginning of spring sports, weather can be an issue to get practice days in. If we do not have an open season and have weather issues during the preseason, it will further delay the preparation of players for the season and put them in harm's way.

4- Since the announcement of No open season for spring sports, a number of "winter leagues" have opened up for high school players, which puts them working with outside organizations with little to no covid guidelines or restrictions. The players will be safer working with us as we follow the safety guidelines set in place for social distancing and wearing a mask that the High School teams are to follow.

In conclusion, I know the HSL is concerned about bringing more people into the building, but spring sports teams will be scattered on the campus outside, which will limit the amount of contact and spread while allowing coaches to properly prepare for the season and not leave it in the hands of an outside organization. However, if the open season is not reinstated, please know it will not limit the number of participants on campus because most spring sport teams will still be weight lifting and conditioning.

Thank for your time,

Jack Jolly
Dorman High School
Phys Ed Teacher
Head Baseball Coach
SCBCA President

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Thanks to Camden coach Pamela Chickering for sharing. If you feel that the SCHSSCA needs to reply in some fashion, please send me an email with your outlined thoughts as provided above. Time is of essence, so please send to me by 3:00 p.m. on November 17.

kheise@grayca.com

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Kevin,

I agree with the Camden coach and think our organization should respond. I would add that everyone keeps saying that we should “follow the science,” but how is eliminating outdoor play safer that going indoors for strength training, which is still allowed.

Thanks!

Phillip McCarter
Catawba Ridge High School
Men’s Varsity Soccer
Head Coach

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I do think that the SCHSSCA should respond.

The biggest concern should be the competitive advantages that some schools will have because they have sport specific classes (i.e. "soccer" class). Taking away open season only widens that gap since those schools have been practicing soccer since August and will continue almost up until the first official day of tryouts.

The bigger concern should be the season itself. With most school districts going back to some sort of 4 or 5 days a week plan, spring sports will be at a higher risk for positive tests. Here are the questions that need to be answered:

1. Does 1 positive test stop the whole program? We are by nature able to keep our kids away from each other; we are not football, wrestling, or basketball and should have different rules.

2. Can we extend the season? Have the state finals the weekend of May 29, everyone will still be in school. This would allow us to not play any games the week after spring break (the suggestion for basketball after winter break) and would allow us an additional 1/2 week to make up games at the end. Playoffs could then be spread over 2 1/2 weeks with 2 games a week (1 the first week on Friday/Saturday). Note: this is not delaying the season, it is making it longer and would help to make sure that sports that did not have a season last year can have one this year.

3. Will schools that go virtual be allowed to continue sports? Football played several weeks with schools in an "all-virtual" setting, spring sports should get the same.

Anonymous

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 11/16/20 11:16 AM.
Brace
Brace
I am assuming since the SCHSL is so concerned about player safety that they will be cancelling spring practice for football?

There is no difference between our open season in January and spring practice for football.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Kevin,

I agree with the 3 points that are on the message boards. I think our sport should be a little different in the case of, if we get one positive test do we have to shut completely down? Unless you are holding indoor classroom sessions and huddling up every day I think the close contact would be minimal for soccer. Seems like club has gone ok this fall with not a lot of clubs shutting down entire teams, as far as I could tell.

The competitive advantage that has been brought up will be huge. My school will have a soccer weight training class second semester but that would be only a few weeks before the season starts so we are not gaining much compared to schools that have been in class this fall. Most schools have plenty of room outside for spring sports to distance themselves from other sports. If not, then it gives us a chance to "be creative" as the SCHSL told basketball coaches to do with their schedules. Maybe teams can find other fields or places outside of school to train for open season. Can also just tell spring sports, if it's bad weather, then cancel. Don't go to the gym or inside the school and cross with basketball/wrestling. And it has been said, what is the difference between 20 players conditioning outside and players working with a ball outside.

Another concern of having no open season is for any new players that are trying out for a team. They will have no chance to be seen touching a ball before tryouts and for some, mostly middle schoolers that can play on our JV teams, it might be the first time they have ever played 11v11 on a full-sized field for 60 minutes.

I also share the worries of the baseball coach on other "winter leagues" popping up. I have already heard of a few indoor/futsal leagues and my worry is the same. Who's to say they will follow proper covid guidelines. I would feel much better seeing my guys during the week and know they are doing the right things.

Thanks,
Scott Simmons
Gaffney HS

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Hey Kevin-
I read over baseball's and thought to share my ideas:

1. Player development has been delayed since the season suspended in March of this year. Some players, not all, have had the opportunity to play club soccer, but an open season would allow coaches to work with players on specific fundamental skills that have been neglected and are much needed before the season starts.
2. During the beginning of the spring sports season, weather can be an issue to get practice days in. If we do not have an open season and have weather issues during preseason, it will further delay preparation of players for the season.
3. Due to open season being cancelled, many outside organizations are inviting players to participate and not knowing their covid protocols and regulations it can put these players at risk.
4. In regards to soccer, there is minimal contact of equipment and cross contamination.
5. The lack of an open season reduces the amount of time the coaches and players have to acclimate together, complete tryouts, prep for scrimmages, and prepare for the overall season in less than a month. Teams are able to condition and weight train and some schools have sport specific classes in their curriculum that supports additional training, but not ALL schools or coaches have this opportunity.
6. Training can benefit the coach and players in more than sport specific ways, but also for emotional, social, and psycholgocial benefits; being with others in general.
7. Further, other sports were allowed full trainings throughout the off season if districts allowed it, ie. Camden High Football practiced all of the summer and were successful.
8. Most spring sports are not high contact amongst players like football and wrestling.

Take out what you want-I restated some from baseball and added some other thoughts.

Thanks for doing this!
Pam

C
Bench
Bench
C
Did I miss something in the conference call by the HSL? I heard softball and baseball mentioned, but no mention of soccer.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
John Parker, Ridge View HS:

I wanted to add..

Club soccer programs have had successful season..

Beside throw in and heads(which im will to get rid off) there is 0 true surface transfer touching.. Every player has a protective layer via keeper gloves or cleats..

The disadvantages for kids that were unable to play Club will be extreme if we're not allowed to meet until try outs

Also players that were on a bubble already get less of a chance to show due to last year being cut..

I am trying to rebuild a program
I have several jrs now seniors that were playing jv at the start of the season and im not sure what to do with them if I cant see them before tryouts.

Some players have lost a whole year of development!

Too late for me to get a "class"

And as far as conditioning football and basketball get priority in our weight room

So more disadvantages..

I'm willing to run multiple smaller practices a day 11 or less if we can touch a ball..

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Spring sport proposal:

Extend the soccer season with the state finals May 27-28. Class A – AAA at one site, AAAA – AAAAA at another. Regular season ends on May 7. This extra week allows for make-up games due to poor weather or COVID-19 issues. First round of playoff May 14 - 15, Second round 17 – 18, Third round 21 – 22, Fourth round 24 – 25. This would keep the current playoff format of 4 teams from each region or equivalent.

Tennis, golf, and track/field could all modify schedule/qualifiers back 2 weeks. There could be a state-wide spring sports championship week/celebration. All spring sports (outside lacrosse) would have their state titles between May 27 and June 5, a celebration that ALL sports had a successful season. All schools will be in session, so pushing the spring seasons back shouldn't be an issue.

There is a vaccine coming by the new year and most school districts are going back 4 or 5 days a week in January. Makes no sense to shorten seasons that lost an entire year while the majority of the school districts in the state are going back 4/5 days a week. If the argument is fairness; spring sports were cancelled, yet football played for weeks this year with school districts going fully virtual and how is it fair that 60%+ of spring sport athletes will not have had a state tournament for 2 full years. Ohio EXPANDED their playoffs this year (2020) and allowed EVERY football team into the state tournament.

Also, we would want the preseason modified also with 2 weeks of open season from January 11-22 even if it has a 10 person maximum.

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard