Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Dorchester County has decided to move forward with their development plans for the soccer complex in Summerville. I am excited about this. Hopefully this means that all Dorchester County kids will have the ability to access this and not just players from a particular club.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/01/29/design-new-soccer-rec-center-summerville-area-nearly-complete/

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
If you read the Redevelopment plan, it states:

Improvements to or Construction of Public Buildings and Environmental, Cultural
and Recreational Facilities
These projects include, but are not limited to:
-Improvements to the Ladson Road EMS/Fire Station
-Jessen Boat Landing Improvements
-Town of Summerville’s “Bend on the Ashley” Eco-tourism Center
-Improvements to the Dorchester County property currently operated by the
Charleston Battery Soccer Club
-Branch of the Dorchester County Library in Oakbrook

My guess would be that the upgraded soccer fields will be available to all soccer clubs once the lease with CSC is up.

https://www.dorchestercountysc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=19596

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
The CSC is lease, to my knowledge was for 30 years. I have not seen anything to suggest that has changed. I think you are more likely to access granted for lacrosse and other sports before another club. I would think that CSC protected itself in some way by granting access to non-club soccer (re: High School).

Otherwise, Surf would set up shop in there, having given up nothing.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
The CSC is lease, to my knowledge was for 30 years. I have not seen anything to suggest that has changed. I think you are more likely to see access granted for lacrosse and other sports before another club. I would think that CSC protected itself in some way by granting access to non-club soccer (re: High School).

Otherwise, Surf would set up shop in there, having given up nothing.

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
That makes sense that about the lease. My only thought would be that if they are pouring that much money into a facilty, the kids from all of Dorchester county should be able to benefit. Whether it’s soccer, lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising.... public money should mean the public has access. I know I’ve seen a surf team, a mt. Pleasant rec team and a csc team all practicing next to each other at Patriots. I think that is a good model for public space.

S
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
That makes sense that about the lease. My only thought would be that if they are pouring that much money into a facilty, the kids from all of Dorchester county should be able to benefit. Whether it’s soccer, lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising.... public money should mean the public has access. I know I’ve seen a surf team, a mt. Pleasant rec team and a csc team all practicing next to each other at Patriots. I think that is a good model for public space.

I don't disagree. My guess is CSC would ask for at least two things before entering into this agreement:
1. Priority of access for their teams.
2. Exclusivity from a club soccer standpoint.

Unlike the the example you state, in this case, CSC is giving up 100% access and control for 30 years for $5,000,000 in renovations. That is a considerable sacrifice on their part. I strongly doubt that they would not have language to ensure another club could just waltz in and directly compete with them on fields they once solely controlled.

If other other sports/clubs wanted access (lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising), that would make more sense.

Also, unsaid, and I do not have the answer to this, is who is responsible for the field maintenance going forward?

If the answer to the above is CSC, would CSC be willing to be on the hook for field maintenance for other groups?

If CSC continues to manage, maintain and line the fields, use their own goals, etc..., wouldn't outside organizations be expected to pay a rental fee like they do at Patriots Point (especially private groups)?

And if so, to whom?

If the Town is maintaining it, will they have someone dedicated to its scheduling?

Still a lot of questions out there.

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
I get it,, I just can’t imagine the county/town/school district would benefit from an agreement that limits who can rent it. I understood it when it was SSC, they had a long history in that area. However the Charleston Soccer club isn’t based or headquartered in Summerville or Dorchester County. They are no different than any other club area. Why would tax money be used to benefit one organization over another?

I’m not advocating it being exclusive for anyone. The county has a new recreation department. They can take over the rental for all organizations. If my sons flag football wants to
Rent one of those fields, they should be able to. That is all I am saying.

The town/county/district is entering into the same type agreement to refurbish the Stafium that Summerville plays in. They are also looking at allowing organizations to rent it out and using it for public events.

It just makes sense when everyone is contributing tax money towards it that everyone has a chance to benefit from it.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Sounds like you lack imagination. Dorchester County is likely
A) thinking long term
B) happy to have access for football, lax, dog park, etc.
C) unconcerned that the emperor has no turf

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
I guess I don’t have imagination... who knew? Thinking long term would be increasing revenue in that area. I’m pretty sure that’s why the county is investing that money to upgrade the facility. Having a first class faculty that is able to be rented out,,, lots of tournaments you could do there. Food truck rodeos,, plenty of things year round...Also,,, there are plenty of actual non-profit sports teams in that area that need field space. Sertoma football teams, t ball teams, I’ve seen these Poor kids practicing in little tiny patches of grass all over Summerville. While the ssc facility remained locked up. Those facility improvements should and could benefit everyone. Not sure about the emperor with no turf comment,,, I thought this facility was getting 2 turfed fields.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Sorry I might not have read what you wrote clearly. I didn't expect these nonsense takes until closer to tryouts. I "imagine" CSC will rent available fields to clubs that need fields, just like TOMPSC does.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard