Print Thread
#177150 11/06/19 03:00 PM
C
Bench
OP Offline
Bench
C
Hey All!

I have been a casual reader of this board to just stay up to date on the local soccer news between the clubs, but am looking at people's thoughts on the current ODP program. My son is an '05 player, so will no longer have a "normal" spring season with his club team. He goes to a smaller private school in the Charleston area and will be playing on the school team in the Spring. While he enjoys playing for the team, the overall skill level of the team does not provide the "highly competitive" environment that we want him to continue with through the Spring.

To supplement this, we are looking for additional options and thought the ODP program might be a good option. However, after reading some past threads about ODP on this forum, it seems like most people were let down by the experience with multiple mentions of it being disorganized and just not giving enough positives compared to the cost/travel requirements.

Now this is also going to be dependent on how his club team does in their State Cup Tournament coming up in December. If they happen to do well and have another tournament to go to at the end of Spring, the team will most likely continue with practices, but without the regular season games.

Would just like to hear some people's thoughts on supplemental opportunities/recommendations in the Spring if we should be looking for them.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Hey, I have an 05 as well. He did the Odp program for a few years. I don’t know that he gained a whole lot from it. The monthly training wasn’t any better than he was getting at his club practices...He was selected to attend the region camp in Alabama and it was absolutely awful. It rained the entire time and they had no backup plan. It was basically a week of them playing fortnight in the dorm rooms.
I have read that they have revamped their format.. I am assuming to try to stay relevant, so it may be completely different now. I know other ages That did it and loved it,,,, but I don’t think many that group that went to region camp 2 years ago ever returned. Not sure if that helps or not.

Brace
Brace
Some comments from another board:

ODP in 1990s and early 2000s was a lot more relevant then, than now. With the increase in quality coaches at the club and high school level and of course the rise of the DA and ECNL, ODP is just another thing to spend $1,000 on. I believe there is still some merit for ODP, particularly if a player is from a rural or non-traditional soccer area, but for players already involved in DA/ECNL and attending Showcase/ID events, it's hard to justify spending that kind of money.

I have mixed feelings. My son made the State team and went to Alabama region 3 camp. But there, for 2 years in a row, it was pretty obvious that the coaches were only interested in boys that were more physically developed than anything else. Yes, there were a couple of exceptions. But generally speaking, if your son didn’t hit puberty by 10 or 11, then by 13 or 14 he just won’t be sufficiently physically developed to move on. Almost the same thing could be said for USDA. Which is a shame. Just because a person develops physically first, it doesn’t mean that they will be the better player in the long term. We won’t be going back next year. These days there are many more alternatives for your son to get college exposure than just ODP.

I agree, my son doesn’t want to go back next year. Says it was a waste of his time. The truth is, I don’t want to push him. Between club soccer, high school soccer and all the showcase tournaments, we could use the break. I don’t want him to burn out anyhow.

Trying to be identified for region team is tough with the many states elite talent. This year more quality training and talks in between the games. Like to hear our child tell us the names of the college coaches and that the training is great. They are having fun at camp and practicing their game with new players. ODP doing a better job putting the schedule out there ahead for the parents and scouting coaches. When ODP takes the focus off identifying and that those not pulled up for pool training are getting small group excellent training from college coaches makes the camp a great one.

If your playing DA, ODP is an unnecessary luxury. If your not playing DA, then by all means try it out. The opportunity to be seen and coached in a more intimate setting by college coaches has its merits. You can make the argument that ODP is no longer means what it used to though. With so many showcases for ECNL and DA, ODP can be a redundant.

The level of play and competition has declined significantly over the past 3 years. My daughter started ODP in 8th grade and now a junior did not participate in this years Region camp despite her invitation. The higher level players have moved on to just ECNL and are all attending college camps instead.

I love ODP and think it was awesome for her at the younger ages. It was a great program.

C
Bench
OP Offline
Bench
C
Thanks guys.....good info!

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Bumping this one for review.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Bump
[url=Http://forums.scsoccer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178426#Post178426][url=Http://forums.scsoccer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178426#Post178426][url=Http://forums.scsoccer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178426#Post178426]Http://forums.scsoccer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178426#Post178426[/url][/url][/url]

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Irreverent to this ODP post however in case there is any confusion:

You suggest the named individual in your post has committed a crime. However has yet to be charged or even named as a suspect. The Boston Globe article on this matter list coconspirators being targeted, the individual you name is not included.

Furthermore you suggest that former employees who worked under the named individual are guilty by association of the named individual, who as previous stated has not been charged with a crime nor is listed as a coconspirator.

The only thing your post is shedding light on is your obsession with all things Surf.

Link Copied to Clipboard