Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Coaches -- Please weigh in with your opinions on the following matters pertaining to high school soccer/athletics.

1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion?

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)?

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc.

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts?

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility?

S
Brace
Brace
S
1. I prefer we have 3 scrimmages & a jamboree over 2 scrimmages. Not all teams are able to do a preseason tournament or jamboree (some jamborees may be too far for schools to attend), so having 3 scrimmages should be enough for a coach to be able to get a good look at his team before the official season begins.

2. Yes, with limitation to players who are playing club or are just finishing with club soccer.

3. No. Since most of my players play club soccer, summer is the only time they have "off" and many either relax or work.

4. Fall only. Most of my players are either in weightlifting classes or participate in our offseason weightlifting sessions. Since most play club soccer, many are getting fitness with their teams.

5. Excessive. Some red cards don't deserve a 3 match ban. There's also cases of referees who aren't very good overusing their authority.

6. There should be standards & guidelines that can be applied to all schools & create for a fair system. If a school is able to have students enroll out of their zone because of the type of school they are, there should be restrictions as majority of the public schools don't have that luxury.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
J
Throw In
Throw In
J
1. I do not like the current 2 scrimmage limitation (only 1 for JV?). 4 was a better option due to rain cancelling a scrimmage or two; at least you would already have other options scheduled. Also, it doesn’t make much sense to cram in our regular season in two months but during the month of February you can only play twice.

2. Yes, we take advantage of all 20 days allowed. Since baseball got extra practice time to warm up pitcherrs’ arms let year, can we get the same for goalies this year? They use their arms, too…

3. Yes, we try to take advantage of Open Season during this time period, even though it is extremely difficult trying to get new physicals in during the middle of summer one month after our season has ended.

4. We offer weightlifting in the summer and weightlifting/conditioning in the fall. Summer is 2-3 times per week; same in the fall. Attendance is typically better in the fall (see #3).

5. I understand the reasoning behind it - a hard line in the sand to dissuade bad behavior and dirty play/tactics, and so I can agree with the principle. I don’t believe that soft should result in a 3 game suspension.

6. No comment.

P
Throw In
Throw In
P
I echo everything Misa says. And emphasize that missing 3 games for two yellow cards in a highly contested, important match is asinine.

For transfers, it's tough because it is different district to district. The district right beside me can have students move schools in district and play sports that same year. My district makes the students sit out a year.Just one small example. Standardizing the transfer rules across the state would be my preference. And any school that didn't fall under those rules should play in a different league. My two cents

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
1. I echo Mouzon. 2 games are difficult, especially for a school that increasingly has fewer club players each year.

2. Yes. We have adjusted our offseason strength and conditioning program so that we can get more days in.

3. We train and will have some practices during the summer. We have not scrimmaged any outside teams but would be interested.

4. Yes. As soon as school is out, we do strength and conditioning twice a week. We will take off a couple of weeks as summer ends and school begins, but then we are back with two times a week. We do not have a soccer weight class so it is after school until 5:15. Not much running, mostly weights and stretching.

5. No. Accidental red card on a handball in the box that denies goal or two yellow should not equal three games. Unsportsmanlike behavior and fighting should be three games.

6. I had my feathers ruffled recently when told that a coach in our district was trying to get a player to transfer to their school by having the student want to take a class that was not offered at the students school but was that the other school. That is dirty. There needs to be uniform rules across the state that limit transfers, even within districts.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
1. 3 scrimmages would be better. Jamborees are for football.

2. As much as possible around club. Bigger issue is schools who have "sport specific" class/PE2 that started practicing for the upcoming season in August and have no restrictions.

3. Not really. They are kids and I give them their summer. Many play club and play during the summer.

4. Start in October with lifting.

5. Absolutely asinine. 1 game max for everything but serious foul play (which is never given). Three games (almost a quarter of the season) for language? Soccer is the only sport with that rule; imagine that rule for football or basketball. 1 game max for everything except for serious foul play which should be 3 games.

6. I agree with Misael, Phil and JB. If you can recruit or pull kids from outside your attendance zone (see JB above), there needs to be a rule. A multiplier, SCISA, or a different SCHSL division specifically for those schools. I would like to see over the past 10 years how many state champions and all-state selections are from schools that have attendance zone freedom as a "non-traditional" high school. Never going to happen, but promotion/relegation anyone?

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
Never going to happen, but promotion/relegation anyone?

*peeks head around corner* Did someone say pro / rel? 🧐

C
Bench
Bench
C
1. Would prefer 4 scrimmages and no Jamboree.

2. Yes, we start in December and adjust our conditioning schedule accordingly around the 20 days.

3. We started our Lady Falcons Camp this Summer. I am looking at putting on a 7v7 tournament if the rules allow for next summer. If anyone is interested please let me know.

4. Is not required of our players but we do strongly encourage this as a group and we set time aside for it even into season. Some even take a weight lifting class.

5. Do not agree. This is harsh for soft calls.

6. Every school that participates in the SCHSL should all be under the same rules no matter if its transfer, eligibility, etc....

C
Bench
Bench
C
1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion? I prefer the previous 3 Scrimmage games.
Some Scrimmages get rained out, and we have not used jamborees.

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)? YES! EVERY DAY, NEED 25.

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc. I have not seen an open season in the Summer for the last two seasons. I would not use it though. It is their time off. Most start back up with club in the late Summer.

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain. We weight train during Conditioning and during the OPEN season When we are forced indoors.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts? I think the Threat is good, but the three Games is Rough. If you straight out get a flagrant RED Card = yes Three Games. Double Yellow, 2 Games?

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility? [/quote] Touchy Subject. This is really School of Choice vs. Recruitment.

C
Bench
Bench
C
1. 3 and a Jamboree or 4 scrimmages (also 2 for JV teams). February is such a dicey weather month (add in Covid too) - give schools as much flexibility to get games in as reasonable. Scrimmages can always be cancelled and not made up.

2. Yes, we use the winter open season as we have no travel teams within 40 miles of us.

3. American football rules this state and the entire facility.

4. Again, Am. Football dominates the weight room, fields, etc...

5. A rule made by people who don't know or care about youth soccer or teaching the game. Too restrictive in the case of 2 questionable yellow cards and at a time with too few experienced or quality referees. Help coaches teach good sportsmanship to young players and give the SCHSL authority on a case-by-case 1-3 game rule. We video tape the games for events just like this - Give us the justice and flexibility we deserve.

6. Agree with Snicklefritz: "non-traditional" attendance schools should be promoted up. Make it fair for the traditional public schools or make the others join SCISA with the private schools.

David Choi
Bamberg-Ehrhardt HS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard