Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Brace
Brace
S
Eliminate rule 8 & allow ties. It's easy to track with the point system Snicklefritz posted.

I also agree about the white uniforms. White only is outdated & unnecessary, it should be light or opposite whatever color the home team is wearing. I know we got fussed at because our original white jerseys had blue sleeves, even though it did not present any issues for referees against any team we played when we wore those.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
P
Bench
Bench
P
I fully agree that #8 should be eliminated. Matches should end in tie save for tournaments and playoffs. Having matches go to OT and Pens on school nights where teams are driving an hour to play does not support players being students first.

C
Bench
Bench
C
I agree with the above coaches, #8 should be eliminated and we should move to a point system. Also, I agree with the neutral site for the Upper and Lower state match.

C
Bench
Bench
C
I concur. Rule 8 Should not apply. There is nothing wrong with a Tie,
At least you can get a point our if it.

C
Bench
Bench
C
I truly like the Neutral Site for the Upper and Lower State Games. The State Game is at a Neutral Location.

C
Bench
Bench
C
The TOTAL White thing is Ridiculous. They just changed that a Few years ago so the Home Team could wear their school Colors. FINE. But to Regulate the Shirts/Socks have to be solid with with basically no extra colors is just Boring.

Goal
Goal
I might be in the minority here but I think non region games should end in a tie but region games should go to OT and pks. I like he idea of having a winner/loser and ties/point systems increase the chances of tie breakers coming into play.

The solid white jersey rule is dumb but it decreases the chances of a uniform mistake being made and not all coaches are on top of things enough to make sure that wouldn't happen.

Neutral site for semi finals is fine but I wish they would go to seeding all teams 1-16 and rewarding the 1 seed with that semi final game. I hate the predetermined bracket but that is because I play in a region that has 3 of the top teams in the state.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
I agree there should be ties. I mean, we can tie in tournaments. I'm also with Alister on the non region games. Non region games can end in ties, region games have to have a winner. Region record is all that matters when it comes to playoffs anyways, so why does the HSL care what we do non region?
On the uniform rule, I wish they would relax the rules on white. I agree there should not be dark colors all over the white but I don't see why we can't have something like a small stripe on the side or a dark collar. Also if you have yellow or light blue as your school color, why can that not be worn against a dark jersey? We played a college reserve game last night, one team in royal blue the other in red. No problems there.

F
Bench
Bench
F
#8 TIES: previous thread about JV Soccer ---> NEVER PK's unless JV tournament.
Varsity only tournaments or if necessary Regional games.

#6 SCHEDULES: jamborees really a football concept, eliminate jamboree & substitute a 3rd scrimmage.
Not sure how many coaches are aware you may have MULTIPLE TEAM scrimmages. Used in other states and very effective, useful for organizing, evaluating your players and other teams.

#14 TOURNAMENT FORMAT: provision should be made to allow a round robin tournament that includes some form of points, goals for & against format to declare winner. Provides more opportunities to schedule games knowing exactly how many you are going to play. In addition, it should allow tournament to be played over an entire week (days off in between contests) OR two (2) separate weekends.
We keep talking about health and safety and we jam more games one on top of another!!!

STATE TOURNAMENT FORMAT: I have coached in regions/leagues that the longest away trip was only 45 minutes away. I have also coached in regions/leagues where the closest away trip was 45 minutes. The accumulation of travel time has a huge impact on player fatigue and eventually injuries.
Neutral sites should be used as EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Worried about gate receipts & publicity ----> schedule double headers. Again, I have been in settings where this concept is used and is very successful.

#11 SCHSL certified officials: All the discussion about cards & fouls, other conversations about availability of officials, and quality of officials ??? Here is a novel/crazy solution: coaches take the written rules test (and pass) ---> varsity coaches officiate the JV game, JV coaches officiate the varsity game!
I have had to do this on multiple occasions in high school, club AND even on the collegiate level!!!
It creates many POSITIVE dynamics during the course of a game. Players are less likely to play outside "the spirit of the rules" when they have an ongoing relationship with the official ---> IT WILL CROSS THEIR MINDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING.
Worried about coach/official favoring his team? You know what normally happens, you wind up being tougher on your team. I especially don't want to make the 1st "homer" call and give the other coach/official the advantage of having one to use at a later MORE ADVANTAGEOUS time.
When we have had to do this many players walk off at the end of the game saying this was the best officiated match they have ever played in and wish they could do that more often!!!

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Originally Posted By: Futbol#11
STATE TOURNAMENT FORMAT: I have coached in regions/leagues that the longest away trip was only 45 minutes away. I have also coached in regions/leagues where the closest away trip was 45 minutes. The accumulation of travel time has a huge impact on player fatigue and eventually injuries.

The SCHSL also does not take into account that AP exams are usually the first week of playoffs. With the extended travel, players are getting home late and then taking AP Exams. Or on the other side, they are getting out of their exams and trying to rush out of town to make it to their game.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard