Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Bench
Bench
C
1. 3 scrimmages for V and at least 2 for JV like it used to be. I have never been to or heard of teams playing jamborees in soccer.

2. Yes, we meet for conditioning and body weight workouts during open season as much as weather allows.

3. We do not usually meet as a team over the summer, but have been kicking around the idea of hosting a team camp, for a couple teams in our area, toward the end of the summer with a 7 v 7 tournament at the end.

4. There is an option for weights during the fall, but not very many take advantage of it.

5. Red card should be a two game with the option for additional depending on the nature of the foul. This could be determined by the official's report and video/coach's report. Auto three games is too costly and too dependent on officiating consistency.

6. As far as this one goes, all I ask for is consistency. Everyone should get to play by the same rules. If not, it's not really a level playing field.

Chad Perry
Throw In
Throw In
1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion?

I prefer the option of more scrimmages. I think every season and team is in a different spot in regards to the need for training/games. More flexibility is always better.

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)?

Yes, very much so. Painful when we don't have it.

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc.

We do not.

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain.

We do not have anything organized specifically for soccer. We did at first with another (and very, very good S&C coach at the school), but since his replacement has come in, it hasn't been the same. The options for soccer have been limited. Most of the athletes take a weight lifting class instead of general PE as a substitute. However, curriculum requirements for the IB program at Flora makes this difficult for those students.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts?

I think it's draconian and quite stupid to be honest. It shows either an ignorance of the sport or a lack of willingness by the SCHSL to differentiate between egregious red cards (fighting, spitting, dissent, etc.) and game-related red cards (such as deliberate hand ball or impeding an opponent through on goal). Understand that reviews are possible, but not over weekends. These penalties are more severe than the professional level standard of 1-2 match bans.

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility?

Above my paygrade. I think the system is very flawed because of the division of power between the SCHSL and school districts.

P
Bench
Bench
P
1. Never used Jamborees. I think 3 scrimmages for Varsity and two for JV would be best.

2. Yes, critical to get to know the new players prior to tryouts.

3. We only do our alumni match and team camp over allowed summer period.

4. There is an option for weights during the summer and fall, but not very many take advantage of it due to club. However, trying to improve this situation.

5. Absolutely not! We are over penalizing soccer players compared to other HS sports. My suggestion: two yellows, you miss the balance of the match. Tactical red, same policy. Hard, reckless tackle or play, miss one more match. For fighting, etc., 3 match suspension.

6. I have not seen any issues with transfers. I do think the SCHSL should address soccer classes in schools to be fair.

C
Bench
Bench
C
Coaches -- Please weigh in with your opinions on the following matters pertaining to high school soccer/athletics.

1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion?

- No, It would be better to have 3-4 scrimmages and 1 Jamboree and JV should be able to have 2 scrimmages. Rainouts play a major factor and not all schools have the ability to attend a Jamboree. This gives schools more options and flexibly as previously stated.

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)?

- Yes.

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc.

- No

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain.

- Only through their normal PE3 class during the school day.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts?

- Excessive. The only 3 match suspension should come from fighting. All other are judgment calls by the refs and in many cases, especially with a 2 ref system, they are not in position to correctly see the full play. I understand that mistakes are made but to suspend a player for 3 matches based off immobile refs that will not move up and down the pitch making calls from 50 yards away is asinine.

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility?

- I agree with Dale

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
In summary, do you support the following proposal to the SCHSL for future disciplinary actions?

Tier I - One Match Ban
Tactical Foul

Tier II - Two Match Ban
Profanity
Violent Foul

Tier III - Three Match Ban
Fighting
Spitting

Your thoughts?

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Yes. That is resonable.

P
Bench
Bench
P
This is close to what I proposed, so it is better than what we have. I still think that two yellows or a tactical red should should be missing the balance of the current match.

C
Bench
Bench
C
Yes, I would be support the following proposal.

S
Brace
Brace
S
I think that's fair. Certainly better than the current setup.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
P
Bench
Bench
P
Also, two yellows would not fit any of the proposed three categories.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard