Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#18866 05/13/04 05:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo beat NW 4-2 earlier this year, and has won 3 in a row vs. NW including last year's title game.

NW's only chance is to bunker in and hold the score down, they can't match Irmo's firepower. NW gives a lot of underclassmen high minutes, so physical Irmo should be knocking bodies all over the place.

Irmo wins a 2-0 foul-infested game, with a garbage goal late to seal it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just because NW plays underclassmen doesn't mean they lose, these underclassmen could start over alot of juniors and seniors at other schools. The Irmo-NW rematch is another game, you cannot base it on other games that came before it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not having to play away at Faiken probably saved NW from going out in the semis. If NW's seniors don't play the game of their lives this Saturday, 2-0 will be the score by halftime.

Irmo is too good, bad hair and all. I guess we'll see.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Blazer

in a matter of 20 mins it went from Irmo winning 2-0 on a garbage goal to them having that score by halftime. What gives? What about Irmo and their underclassmen? Northwestern starts around 6 or 7 seniors, does Irmo? Irmo gives substantial time to a few sophomores, but they are very good sophomores at that. Northwestern gives time to two freshmen, but they are also very good players. I do not know who will win, nor am I going to make a prediction, but using the age factor does not apply as both play younger players. I just hope to see a good soccer game Saturday evening.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, it was a garbage goal late for a 2-0 lead to SEAL it. That's if NW's seniors et al play like they usually do, which is great by the way. If they don't, Irmo will win handily.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a feeling our seniors will come out with it all on the line. Can't wait for saturday

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F
Im pulling for NW all the way against Irmo. When we played NW they could of best us worst than what the score was. It was raining pretty hard and that was holding them down. I think that NW can do it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Irmo comes out against NW as they did on Hilton Head last night, I would definitley bet everything I have on Irmo. For 70 straight minutes Irmo pulverised the team that eliminated Wando and Socastee so handily. I haven't seen too many Irmo games this season, but what little I have seen has been the most talented High School soccer team I have ever laid eyes upon. This is probably one of Phil Savitz's best teams ever. NW will not succeed with a 10-1 formation as they did in last year's State Final. They will have to score early and often. If there is on thing this playoff has shown its that Irmo can finish. A 24-2 goal differential in the playoff proves this. I know that the ideal notion would be to pull against "The Irmo Powerhouse," but in retrospect of last night's I, admittedly, find myself ambivalent in regaurds to NW's success in this years final. Good luck to both teams, and thank you Irmo for a very enjoyable slaughtering last night.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GO NORTHWESTERN

NorthWestern 3
Irmo 2

J
Brace
Brace
J
I just don't see NW pulling an upset off against Irmo. I'm not saying that it can't happen, I just don't think it will. I think Irmo is going to put it away by 2 to 3 goals. Probably a 5-2 game, with Irmo winning. Irmo already showed that they can score on NW and most every other team in SC. I believe that they will come out hard, and will dominate from the beginning. Here is another question for everyone... Do you still think that if Irmo would have played Norman N that they would have lost...I am betting no.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That game was also early on the season, Northwestern is on a hot streak right now, 17 games in a row. I don't think the scoring differential will be by 2 or 3 goals like you say. But it should be a barn burner and I can't wait to see it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
irmo will rock you trogan11...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it's tro"j"an, but only time will tell who wins.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
trojan11
Irmo has a pretty long winning streak too. Exactly how many games is it? Any team that makes it to the finals is gonna be playing to potential.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo is on a 13 game win streak I think i read. I was just trying to point out that it is a different time in the season than when Irmo beat Northwestern before. Anything can happen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct 13 game streak, including 4 wins over top 10 teams.

NW had an impressive win over Ridge View in April, but they only squeaked by in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs over lesser teams than Irmo faced and dominated.

Irmo will win.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am gonna stop arguing with you because it is useless to try and find a winner other than watching it on the field. Go Trojans

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree with trojan...NW is not nearly the same team as before...when they came to the lake murray challenge i couldnt see them making it to the upperstate finals...however with alot of improvement they have put themselves in postion to win a state championship. I am going to go with Irmo...we (chapin) played both and lost to both 2-0. However, Irmo just seems to be clicking on all cylinders right now. Trojan is right when he says we will only know for sure when we see it on the field. My pick is Irmo.

coach
coach
Consider this stat:
Irmo- goals for 120, against 17
9 games against ranked teams - 7-2 record
Northwestern- goals for 120, against 18
10 games against ranked teams - 7-3 record
Irmo did not look good in early season, but has come on strong. But they have the tradition and intense determination to prevail every game.
Northwestern has more seniors than Irmo, who want the title bad after PK loss in last year's final. When you have 2 equal and determined teams, the score is low......
2-1 Northwestern

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Striker, you gonna make it to the game?

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Northwestern i beleieve will win this game but it won't be easy with the talent that irmo brings to the table. Northwestern has been on a mission latley and they won't let this championship slip through their hands as it did last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Striker...here's some more info:

I dont know if any one of you watched the Irmo Northwestern final last year. Irmo out shot them by 4 times as many shots. Northwestern played a 9-1...9 in the box and one up top. They played for pks. Irmo, as seen in this years playoffs has no problem scoring goals. Irmo has yet to see Northwestern even score on them in the last 2 years (Northwestern scored 2 pks in the preseason tourny final to make the score 4-2). Other than that, Northwestern has never scored a true goal on Irmo. They have had plenty of pk practice though, lets see if it helps them in the final this year.

NW this playoff= 12 goals for, 3 against
Irmo this playoff= 24 goals for, 2 against

Just thought i'de give some contrary info to your info Striker, as yours seem to favor NW.

This way everyone doesn't portray their opinions as bias as your "scouting report" conveys.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
centermid, how can u say that the title game slipped through NW hands last year. All they did was bunker down for 100 minutes. If anything NW got lucky even to go to PK's. It was a good game last year but the score was much closer than it should have been. I predict Irmo is able to finish a few in regulation and wins 3-1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good game? that game wasnt good last year...it was the most boring game of soccer I have ever watched...by far the worst state championship match I have ever seen. The ball stayed on one side of the field for the whole time (even through pks). I really hope NW doesn't play that way this year because that game was pitiful.

Brace
Brace
do the Irmo boys still have a drug problem like they did in the mid 90s when I was playing or have they cleaned up their act?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IRMOJV16, we might have bunkered down for 100 or so minutes, but you didnt score and we lost on PKs I'd say that was a close game. Bottomline, that was last year and this a new year so why talk about last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year NW was on an incredible roll going into the finals. That NW team would beat the current NW version easily. Yet they lost to Irmo last year in the end.

Irmo is better this year than last year. Hence, Irmo will win.

If NW doesn't bunker, it'll be ugly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blazerneck why won't you give NW any credit for being a top quality team. They arent just 24-3 and not good. And have you seen NW play this year?

J
Brace
Brace
J
Talon,
Irmo has three dealers on the team, hence they are pretty messed up all the time. Their favorite drug of choice is LSD, makes the game more challenging for them. There are a few that choose to freebase, and a couple that like crack. Overall, I think the drug abuse by Irmo, is less than that of the 90's.

By the way, what a stupid question Talon.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
trojan11 - I hope that you've been saying your prayers every night because ya'll were just lucky to get through the Hanna game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who cares if it was luck or not? the fact is northwestern is playin for a state championship tommorow and hanna isn't

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep you're right, but I don't talk to people who try to put down how my school runs things. Go Trojans!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just figured that it wouldn't be such a "culture shock" when you leave your little corner of the state and see how normal people live, if you plan to leave. I wasn't trying to run down your school, just a few clowns that don't act like they are 16 or 17. That's all, good luck this weekend and I hope it doesn't rain. Question: when you played the last game last year was the field tore up? Seems like it would and especially if it rains it could be a real pit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been more places than "my corner" of the state, and most people here are normal, every school has their bad apples so don't say NW insinuate that NW is the only one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems that old jacket does not know how to take this sudden abrupt change in life. He has lived his soccer dream through his son and it is now over. I would say to old Jacket that your team was the "lucky one" to get by South Aiken. Your team played well, but it was very obvious that Northwestern was the stronger team. We indeed appreciated the chance to play your team, but their time is now over and our fate will be decided tomorrow night. Thank you for the good luck that you wished us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems that old jacket does not know how to take this sudden abrupt change in life. He has lived his soccer dream through his son and it is now over. I would say to old Jacket that your team was the "lucky one" to get by South Aiken. Your team played well, but it was very obvious that Northwestern was the stronger team. We indeed appreciated the chance to play your team, but their time is now over and our fate will be decided tomorrow night. Thank you for the good luck that you wished us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As for tomorrows game I think Irmo will win, but I really hope that somehow NW will take home the gold. Irmo does have a great team, with lots of winning tradition, but I think past and current teams have brought a bad rep to them and shown how trashy and cocky great teams can get. For this I hope that NW wins! I hope to see a Great Game, and good luck to both teams!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by trojan11:
Irmo is on a 13 game win streak I think i read. I was just trying to point out that it is a different time in the season than when Irmo beat Northwestern before. Anything can happen

Irmo is on a 13 game win streak because all of the refs around like blondes i geuss.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo should have never beat Summerville. The officiating was horrible. Every call went Irmos way. Anyone can win when they get 80 % of the calls. What are these kids thinking with their hair. Does this make u play soccer better or what. OR maybe the refs like blondes.

J
Brace
Brace
J
The whole thing with dying their hair blonde is for team unity. It's a tradition that brings the team together. Some may think it is stupid, I personally don't know if I would dye my hair that color, but to Irmo it is part of the soccer program. Let alone the blonde hair makes it another identifying marker out on the field for easier identification of team mates. As for the griping of the officiating giving the games to Irmo, nobody has tested them yet in the playoffs. They played some good teams, but the calls didn't have hardly any impact on the outcome of the game. When the game is played almost entirely on one end of the field, no amount of calls can get the other team a goal. Once again more excuses why Irmo shouldn't be playing in the state championship. It's like a broken record year after year, blah blah blah....Irmo is getting the calls/Irmo is a dirty team/Irmo doesn't deserve to win/whine whine whine. Give me a break, their record the past 20 some years shows that Phil Savitz knows what he is doing, and he is doing a very fine job. Maybe the rest of the programs in the state should look to as why Irmo is always good and try to emulate that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summerville was taking it to them until the ref calls a indirect kick inside the six when a player is trying to get up with the ball at his feet. Then three minutes later the center ref calls a pk for them when their player falls down on his own in the box. Luckily that was overturned by a decent AR. You dont know what you are talkign about soccer boy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey man, I think I've got some cheese for that whine.

You know what you are right. Irmo is the worst soccer team I have ever seen, they are absolutely terrible. They pay all the refs, their hair looks ridiculous, they aren't even good at soccer, Hartsville players could start for their team, today I found out they are a massive international drug dealing organization. They are just a bunch of cocky punks who beat everybody because they are dirty and cheat.

Alright I think that about sums it up...if you guys have anymore of the usually yearly trash talk to down the most successful High School program in the state before the finals please add, I may not have covered it all...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are wrong calcio. Irmo is one of the best soccer programs in the nation. They are tied for first place right now for number of state championships won with 14. A win tomorrow will give them sole position of #1 Nationally.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually I heard they would tie a Virginia team for 1st...the Virgina team won again this past fall. Could be wrong though.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Just a few thoughts after reading some of these posts.

First of all, its the State Championship match, so you can throw all stats out the window, including who beat who last year, their goals in the playoffs etc. Both teams obviously deserve to be there and are going to fight their butts off to win the championship. Not knocking Irmo's opponents but it appears to me that NW did play the harder schedule in the playoffs. That is not Irmo's fault though. However, it would affect these precious stats that Calcio and others want to bring up. Irmo played Beaufort and Hartsville in the first two rounds. NW played Boiling Springs and Mauldin. Hartsville plays in the weakest region in the state and were obviously the weakest team in the second round. Northwestern had beaten them by 8 or 9 goals a week or two earlier at Hartsville. So boasting Irmo's goals scored as being a large accomplishment is not that impressive when you realize that they scored half their goals in one match. I really think these teams are pretty even and everyone will get to see a great match Saturday evening.

Secondly, who cares if NW sat numbers behind the ball last year. I view that as a great coaching decision by Coach Finotti. It almost worked did it not? Northwestern had a chance or two in the flow of play and then once it goes to pks anyone can win. So stop complaining about how they played last year and give some credit to one of the best coaches in the state.

Good luck to Irmo and Northwestern tomorrow and all the other teams playing in the finals.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree about throwing the stats out the window. Thanks for giving Northwestern some props Lowerstate4a, I can't wait for the game tomorrow.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Calcio you are hilarious and you should be a comedian! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Both teams have to be good if not great to get this far in the playoffs and I agree that the stats can be thrown out for this game. But tradition has to count for something! I don't think anyone can argue with me on whose side tradition is on, but if you think you can just count your state championships and then count Irmo's. I think it will be a close game Sat @ 7:00. Here's my prediction: NW plays behind the ball but Irmo finishes this year early in the second half and this forces NW out of their defensive position and when they do this Irmo's speed and talent scores a couple of late goals to seal it. 3-0 Irmo in a barn burner of a game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2-1, closer than I thought [Wink] .

Congrats Irmo, the New York Yankees of SC soccer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Way to finish off the season Irmo, great game by both teams, fantastic effort by NW

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correction: Irmo did win it all again. Congrats to Coach Savitz and staff on a wonderful year and to all the boys who put in a ton of effort, yall deserve it. Northwestern keep your heads up yall played great tonight.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SoccerFan1, you might be correct on alot of accounts but Hanna never got the respect all year. Sure they lost games that they never should of but most teams do. I guess that losing your first game of the year to Irmo in overtime and your last to the the states runners-up isn't too bad. Well, now on to bigger and better things like Furman Football!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
im glad irmo won so we didnt have to watch them cry and refuse to get there medals again...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad SA lost......they are used to it and handle it so well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard