Print Thread
#20567 01/24/05 03:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kyle, I was wondering what kind of tangible information you use to formulate the rankings for each classification (least year's finish,returning starters, etc.), and how much the rankings are based on information obtained through the message boards. thanks.

#20568 01/24/05 04:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah....I know the rankings doesn't please everyone but some of these are just funny. Some teams in the top 5/top 10 in their division is hard to swallow. I mean teams that didn't even make it to Upper/Lower state finals and being pre-season ranked over teams that did make it...Hmmm....Kinda hard to judge for Highschool soccer in the first place.

#20569 01/24/05 04:25 AM
World Cup
World Cup
EHSdefender -- the rankings are compiled with input from coaches around the state at every classification level ... Most of the coaches take into account the returning players and loss of players from the previous season ... SCSOCCER.COM has taken into account some of the information gathered from the Message Board from posters that are known to be avid soccer fans or soccer coaches that choose to be unbeknownst on the public scene ... We also take into account what kind of club soccer success some of the important individuals of each team have achieved and what collegiate coaches have inquired about certain players.

#20570 01/24/05 05:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm having a hard time grasping the concepts used to generate rankings. What does it take to be considered an "avid soccer fan"? Am I one? How much do these rankings affect playoff seedings? who are "we" also? who assists your efforts in the ranking process?

I see that Broome moved to 2A this season and are ranked in the top 10 after a season in which they were dropped in the first round of 3A playoffs and averaged 5 GA per game vs. a ranked opponent. Using Broome as an example, how many players do they have returning? I have not seen a trace of any "avid soccer fans" posting about them. Are there any college coaches looking at anyone on this squad? I didnt even know they had a team. What I'm trying to point out is the fact that there is such limited information coming from any source concerning many of the ranked 2A and 1A teams, especially in girls soccer. What do you know about the blue ridge girls soccer program? I have no personal reasons for referencing these particular teams, just very curious as to the means for the compilation of these rankings. Maybe some points system based solely on past and current performance (past only for pre-season purposes), though less flexible in certain situations, would be more predictable and fair (for lack of a better word).

Don't mistake this light criticism with any sort of disrespect. I do very much appreciate this site as my primary source for info on soccer in SC, and will continue to.

#20571 01/25/05 05:03 AM
B
goal
goal
B
I wouldn't get too worked up about these pre season rankings. After all, each team will have ample opportunity to prove themselves on the pitch. The only time pre season rankings really matter are for the BCS in football. Auburn was not highly rated in preseason and never could pull ahead of USC and Okla. who were ranked 1-2 in preseason. In soccer, the championship is decided on the field so no sweat about pre season rankings. They simply exist to promote soccer and give us something to talk about.

Link Copied to Clipboard