Mike Mikulian from HILTON HEAD HISG SCHOOL

#20907 03/16/05 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just opened this post and began reading, and some good points came up. I believe some of the best keepers in the state play for the sorriest teams. Just because you have a really high save percentage doesn't mean your good. It just means that your defense forces shots from 30 out. On the other hand, defenses that are weak, allow alot of breakaways and PKs, those are the "impossible" saves that the really good ones make, but because Northwestern beats you 9-0, people think you're sorry. I think that their is no way to accurately rate except to put them in Goalie Wars. For those of you that have never heard of it. Go to www.goaliewar.com. It combines all departments of skill into 1 big competition. I have personally never seen Moody, Goose, or Faulkner play. The best I've played against is Will Barbieri from Fort Mill. Imo, he is very good. But I think that there should be a statewide Goalie Wars competition every year for seniors to show their skills.

#20908 03/19/05 05:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that one kid from Socastee, i think his name is Matt Abee is the best goalie in the state.
He has only one goal scored against him, even in games against Wando, Greenville, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Pinewood Prep and St James

#20909 03/18/05 08:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whichiwhichi,
You have made some great points. Teams who are strong and dominant on the field will keep the ball away from the keeper soo much, that he will hardly see the ball. The point you made about a keeper having high percentages, especially on shut-outs, is a great point. Just b/c they have a great shut-out percentage, doesn't mean that they are the best in the state. People love to "put teams/people on blast" when the team gets their tails handed to them, especially the keeper. The keeper will get shelled, and then people tend to think the keeper sucks, which is not true all the time.
I know personally. When I played keeper for my team, I would get shelled every game, with the exception of two or three games. I made those 20 to 30 saves a game, and that is not exagerating either. If a keeper is making 20-30 saves a game, eventually something is going to get through. It's just simple math. Here's one of many examples I'll use: When I played Summerville my sophomore year (they were a lot better back then then they are now) I had 15 breakaway 1-on-1's and I had saved 14 of those 15. So it shows where my defense was at the time huh? Final score was 3-1 Summerville. My total saves count for the 4 years I played high school soccer was unreal, a total of 857 career saves. A keeper shouldn't have to make that many saves.
You got to acknowledge keepers of low caliber teams too, only if they deserve it. I'm not saying that all low caliber teams have the best keepers, but you can't count them out, and you can't count out keepers of high caliber teams either. In reality, like whichiwhichi said, there isn't really a way to rate a keeper unless you seperate all of them from their teams and rate them in some sort of "Keeper War" or competition in order for their true colors to come through. That would be the best way to name a keeper "the best".

#20910 03/18/05 09:22 PM
D
goal kick
goal kick
D
rushe is the most talented goalie in the state. If he had 4 more inches he would be considered you guys say he would be the best which makes it all the more impressive that he is one of the top anyway. Ive seen him make some sick saves. Hes struggled some early this year on pks but taht was just bad luck and going the wrong way. He rarely makes a bad decision. As a junior and with a 4 inch height disadvantage, what he can do shows just how talented he is.

#20911 03/19/05 08:24 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Maybe he had a bad night, but I was not impressed with the Byrnes keeper at the Mauldin Byrnes game. Mauldin put three by him early and he could have done a much better job on them. Their second keeper did a good job and played pretty well, but the starting keeper did not look good.

#20912 03/19/05 10:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
joeygeo i totally agree with you i play for byrnes and we need to teach our keeper to come out and not to hesitate when he is playing. I think if he had the goalie mentality or was more aggressive he could be one of the top goalies in the state but i totally agree with you joeygeo

#20913 03/24/05 02:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe not the best but someone has to say it, how about BIG "SNAKE" JAKE from York. He has now proven himself against some great shots n breakaways against Northwestern and Fort Mill. Also blocked 2 pks against Chester in OT.

"Get out of here you big piece of junk"

#20914 03/24/05 03:26 AM
P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Yea that Dreher keeper made an amazing save on one of my shots i didnt think he had a chance but he managed to tip the ball and it ended up hitting the post. i then got the rebound and had a shot to the other side and he made another great save on it he is impressive even without the height.

#20915 03/24/05 04:53 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Mike Gustavson (South Aiken) and Bryson Summers (Airport) get my vote! Tremendous talents!

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard