Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Lets see, lets do the simple time issue math and find out that I could not have been filming and gotten to the computer to input my post. Let me say that Wayne in a wishy washy person when it comes to talking about people. The stuff that he said about Kevin Darlington a few years ago should have gotten him a nice reprimand, but that is water under the bridge. As for the year in and year out rhetoric about Dennis selecting referees, let me assure you, that as a former ref in south carolina, he does not control the way a game is refereed. I do enjoy the play of Irmo, and am happy to have attended there, and have met Phil. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season, it's going to be an interesting one!

A
Goal
Goal
A
I have known Wayne going back to his Beaufort days and would place his character and sense of fair play up near the top of our association,but at the same time I think anyone would be envyous of Irmo's fine tradition.
The real sin here though is the obvious conflict of intrest that Mr. Cates alluded to.It a topic of conversation among the coaching ranks not just restricted to the Columbia area.Anybody got a laptop?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only people that do not see the conflict of interest are those too close to see the impropriety. I don't think anyone thinks that Dennis selects refs that he thinks will give Irmo an advantage nor is there a conspiracy here, but the fact of the matter is that there is a conflict of interset.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
I will not bash Wayne as a family man, but I believe that my problem with him stems back to him trashing Kevin Darlington on this board. Since then I have been wary of his opinoin when it came to his profession. And just so you all don't think I am off of my rocker....here is a quote out of the Code of Ethics of the Education Profession which was adopted by the 1975 NEA Respresentative Assembly:

"In fullfillment of the obligations to the profession, the educator shall not knowling make false or MALICIOUS statements about a colleague"

For those of us that are in education, or are in school to become educators, this is something that I have issues with. I am also dissapointed that the regulators of this board let this go, back then, knowing that at least one of them is an educator too.....Just to clarify why I feel the way that I do.

goal kick
goal kick
This thread was about the Lake Murary Challenge results but has taken a turn off topic. So to continue that turn I must offer this about Referees and Dennis Cook:

I have been a referee for several years and have known Dennis for that time also. While to those on the outside it appears to be improper for him to assign referees and coach at Irmo, I truly feel that he picks the highest caliber referees for those matches that involve Irmo. However, preception is often reality to many and it gives the preception of a conflict of interest. I guess it is true because Dennis does select the best referees for those matches.

However, as a referee I feel it is a smack in the face of all referees that people think a referee would give Irmo a break and call the game for them just because Dennis is on the touchline. (I can hear you thinking; what about all the match fixing in Europe and South America!!! This is high school soccer without large sums of money to be made.) Being a referee, especially in the Midlands (because of the two man system) is a very difficult job without the idea that we, the referee crew, are going to call a game one way or another just because of the teams involved or who is standing on the touchline. I believe that every time a referee steps onto the pitch he/she makes every effort to call a fair, impartial and safe match.

So, grow up, get over it and drive on.

Just my thoughts and rants about the subject of Dennis Cook and his job as the referee assignor for the Midlands.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I, too know Dennis Cook fairly well from becoming certified as a referee and having him call my games in high school and he is clearly, one of, if not THE best referee in SC. The man knows how to control the game.

Sure, there is a bit of conflict of interest there but couldnt it just be Savitz wants the best referees calling his games?

In a related topic... does any team that isnt from columbia, feel like they get the short end of the stick with referees anytime they go to Columbia to play? Just a question.

Brace
Brace
Soccerboy,

Your statements about my character, as you see it, are interesting but lack a certain degree of reliability as they are hidden behind the cloak of anonymity that comes from not having the courage to post using your name. It seems as though you have trouble with both your short-term as well as long-term memory.
Let’s begin with short term. Several coaches from the area were discussing the aforementioned referee situation, a conversation that I did not begin. My comment was in agreement with their position. But, as I explained to them, the matter is dead. Unlike you, I chose to face the person directly involved, face to face, some time ago and tell him. Gentlemen can disagree and still be friends. I doubt if anyone in the press box today would support your accusation about me. They would agree that you were way out of line. You are fortunate that I did not have you removed after your childish outburst. The only other topics discussed were tournament finances, the tactics of both teams, and an analysis of Irmo, who we were scouting. You make it sound like there were cheers of delight for Northwestern. There were NONE. I assure you, anyone in the press box will collaborate that. The only discussions regarding Irmo had to do with how they were attacking Northwestern and the officiating.

In regards to my good friend at Ridge View and your long-term memory, again, unlike you, I chose to discuss the issue with him and don’t recall saying or posting anything that was not true or appropriate, certainly not false and/or malicious. He certainly took no issue. He and I had several subsequent conversations on the subject, discussing this as friends. I can assure you that we are friends, and this was why he sought my advice back then. It is quite easy to make reference, lacking substantiation, to an event that occurred several years ago, but to then suggest that someone else has been false and malicious is asinine.

I admire Coach Savitz and the program at Irmo. But I would not use the word "envy." Life is too short for such pettiness, for me anyway.

You suggest that you attended Irmo, which casts further doubt on your objectivity. May I remind you that pride is also a “deadly sin.”

I assure everyone at Irmo that I have a great deal of respect for their program and that I do not root against them except when they play DF.

If you wish to discuss this further, I suggest we do so face-to-face, not over the internet. Your accusations are false, misleading, unfair, and inflammatory within the community(which is the only reason I am replying) and and should be followed by an apology on your part.

Have a great day,

Wayne

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Let me first ask how I could have been removed after this "childish outburst"? You would have removed me from work, where I was when the game was taking place? What are you talking about? Are you assuming I am someone I am not? Lets hope that Mr. Gray doesn't get on here and see that you called him childish. I don't think he would be too happy about that. You may get to deal with that comment later directly from him.

As for the post that you posted on here about the RV coach back a few years ago...it is your memory that is failing, I remember a scathing page rambling about how he was a disgrace and should appologize to everyone and his mother, and then went on to say a few more things. I am sure that this board has it backed up somewhere, and I know I am not off my rocker. I discussed that post with the RV coach while at his house, and needless to say at the time, he was very dissapointed. You may have reconciled with him since then, but I was not a part of that, and I only know what happened around the time of the post, no more. There was plenty of substantiation posted on here, completely written by you. Don't be mad at me for a post that you did long ago, those were your words, not mine.

I am not able to debate with you face to face due to the fact that it would require a 3 hour plane ride, and I am not up for a discussion that would be futile in effort and outcome. I assure you that my accusations are not false, and not intended to be completely inflamatory as you see them. You will not receive an apology from me for having an opinion. That is how I feel, if you have issues with that, I really don't care. I have learned long ago that you can't please everyone.

And just so you know, I do hope DF has a good season, as I like to see teams in Lex/Rich 5 do well. I root for your team whenever you aren't playing Irmo. I don't think you are a bad person by any means, every thime I have met you you have been a nice guy.

I do wish you to have a great day too

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Soccerboy, if you were not in the press box, then the person that did act childish must have called you or something. The very fact that you know who was in the box tells me that you talked to Mr Gray(?). I don't personally know him, but since you obviously weren't there, you need to keep your opinions about what happened in the box to yourself. As you have said, a 3 hour plane ride away isn't a very good vantage point to watch something occur. He kept on to the point that I went into the announcing booth and shut the door to get away from him. It might be a very good idea if the guys filming the games did it from the area designed for that, then this wouldn't have happened. It might have been a little wet and cold, but the "outburst" would never have happened. I do agree with Wayne, that nobody was cheering for NW except for maybe the players that were in the box. I was enjoying the game and didn't pay them much attention.

I won't respond to you about this anymore since you have made it clear that you are unworthy of having an opinion on something you obviously only heard about and didn't witness.

As for the teams, I believe that both Irmo and NW will both have excellent seasons, and contrary to your belief, I do pull for Irmo and Chapin when they play other people, but definitely not when they play DF. I also hpoe that you have a nice day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, I don't think any reasonable person thinks that Dennis fixes anything, but it is a conflict of interest. And yes I'm grown up,over it , and driven but it is still a conflict of interest.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard