OP Offline
Brace
J
Eastside 1- Dreher-0

12 minutes into the game, Irmo2-TL Hanna-0

hat-trick
hat-trick
Chapin 2 Ben lippen 1,

Well fought, Chapin had many opportunities and Ben Lippen Keeper was exellent.

Dorman 3 North Augusta 0 at half

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Final Irmo 7 - TL Hanna 0

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have results from this morning. Just trying to find out who is playing this afternoon.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
I'll have the scores from this morning soon, waiting on a phone call.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Irmo-1
Eastside-0

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Dorman-4
Chapin-3
In PK's

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
results on MB/Dutch Fork game?

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
I heard DF was down a goal or two, but can't confirm.

brace
brace
MB won. Don't know score.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how do the brackets look for tonight?

brace
brace
Northwestern 3
Mauldin 0

Northwestern 6
MB 0

J
world cup
world cup
J
wow

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
In the semifinal matchups:

Northwestern Vs. Dorman
Irmo Vs. Chapin

Should be some good games. I didn't think NW was as strong as what the scores suggested, but they may have their hands full with Dorman. The Irmo kids were impressed with the talent when they played Dorman in their scrimmage! Good luck to all the teams!

world cup
world cup
Everybody counted out the Trojans too soon.

This team has been to the state final the past two years.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Update:
Irmo-2
Chapin-0
at the half

brace
brace
I posted a mistake earlier. Should have been:

Northwestern 3
Mauldin 2

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Northwestern-Mauldin was a pretty close game. I'll give the edge to Northwestern in time of possession, but Mauldin's defense gave up too many breakaways. Three went for goals.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Irmo 5-Chapin-1
Irmo's backup keeper got scored on! And Irmo missed a PK.

Northwestern 4-Dorman-0 (unofficial) Don't know if that is the exact score or not, that was the rumor going around....

Irmo-NW III for the Lake Murray Trourny!

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
how did all the other teams do??

hat-trick
hat-trick
also chapins backup keeper, who is aggressive but probably 5'5 got scored on 5 times do to their starting keeper breaking his nose vs. dorman. Would have been close but irmo would have still won. maybe 3-1 or so.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Ben Lippen 3-2 TL hanna
North Augusta 2-1 Ben Lippen

Ben Lippen played with 13 due to 4 injured starters possibly 2 starting basketball players and 1 missing sub. Maybe all 4 starting backs were not there and early mistakes led to dissapointing loss

Dutch Fork 5-1 North Augusta
Dreher 1-0 Mauldin? I think

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Should be a great tournament final tomorrow with Northwestern taking on Irmo yet again. It seems like any time there is a final, they're in it. Irmo is playing very well right now, as evident by their victory over AAA #1 Eastside. I saw the game, and Eastside is very good. Should be a great game tomorrow, and anyone who can should make it out to Dutch Fork at 2:00. Any predictions?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gotta go with Irmo, in a competitve game with lots of pride on the line for both sides. I guess prediction of NW's demise were off base. Looks like they will be around deep into playoffs again this year.

brace
brace
So far I am 3 for 3 with my bracket predictions, so in my infinite wisdom I will go with Northwestern. They have been consistent all tournament. Irmo's wins against Dorman and Chapin are impressive, but they will have to play a better game against Northwestern than they did for a 1-0 win against a depleted Eastside team (minus 6 starters). Northwestern is better than any of these three teams.

Brace
Brace
Lake Murray Challenge Finals Still On.

The championship match between Irmo and Northwestern is still on for today 2:00 at Dutch Fork. Bring your umbrellas.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Irmo-1
NW-1 at half
Oh and Wayne, maybe you shouldn't root against Irmo with so many people in the press box...not a smart thing to do. I know your program isn't quite as good as Irmo's, but isn't envy a deadly sin?

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Soccerboy, As the announcer for Dutch Fork, I don't think that Wayne or anyone in the press box (except the few Dutch Fork players) was pulling against Irmo. I think that the discussion was about the conflict of interest about the person assigning the referees also standing on the sidelines coaching. Nothing was said negative about Phil Savitz or the Irmo program, just about the individual. The confrontation was started and continued by the person filming (maybe that's you) for Irmo. I guess that you must sit at a lot of Carolina or Clemson games and hear those fans pulling for their rival. Irmo has a program that is unmatched on the field. If you guys want to be the Yankees of SC soccer, don't expect everyone to pull for you. Have a little thicker skin and enjoy the play of your team.

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
By the way, the final score was Northwestern 2 Irmo 1. Game was well played by both teams, but with Irmo making a couple of mistakes that NW capitalized on. I think that Irmo probably had the best of the possession, but that didn't translate to a W this time. I think that both Irmo and NW will have a very succesful year. Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

world cup
world cup
Is York County the new "Daddy" of high school soccer?

Fort Mill Lady Yellow Jackets won the Taco Bell Viking Cup today too.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Lets see, lets do the simple time issue math and find out that I could not have been filming and gotten to the computer to input my post. Let me say that Wayne in a wishy washy person when it comes to talking about people. The stuff that he said about Kevin Darlington a few years ago should have gotten him a nice reprimand, but that is water under the bridge. As for the year in and year out rhetoric about Dennis selecting referees, let me assure you, that as a former ref in south carolina, he does not control the way a game is refereed. I do enjoy the play of Irmo, and am happy to have attended there, and have met Phil. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season, it's going to be an interesting one!

A
Goal
Goal
A
I have known Wayne going back to his Beaufort days and would place his character and sense of fair play up near the top of our association,but at the same time I think anyone would be envyous of Irmo's fine tradition.
The real sin here though is the obvious conflict of intrest that Mr. Cates alluded to.It a topic of conversation among the coaching ranks not just restricted to the Columbia area.Anybody got a laptop?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only people that do not see the conflict of interest are those too close to see the impropriety. I don't think anyone thinks that Dennis selects refs that he thinks will give Irmo an advantage nor is there a conspiracy here, but the fact of the matter is that there is a conflict of interset.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
I will not bash Wayne as a family man, but I believe that my problem with him stems back to him trashing Kevin Darlington on this board. Since then I have been wary of his opinoin when it came to his profession. And just so you all don't think I am off of my rocker....here is a quote out of the Code of Ethics of the Education Profession which was adopted by the 1975 NEA Respresentative Assembly:

"In fullfillment of the obligations to the profession, the educator shall not knowling make false or MALICIOUS statements about a colleague"

For those of us that are in education, or are in school to become educators, this is something that I have issues with. I am also dissapointed that the regulators of this board let this go, back then, knowing that at least one of them is an educator too.....Just to clarify why I feel the way that I do.

goal kick
goal kick
This thread was about the Lake Murary Challenge results but has taken a turn off topic. So to continue that turn I must offer this about Referees and Dennis Cook:

I have been a referee for several years and have known Dennis for that time also. While to those on the outside it appears to be improper for him to assign referees and coach at Irmo, I truly feel that he picks the highest caliber referees for those matches that involve Irmo. However, preception is often reality to many and it gives the preception of a conflict of interest. I guess it is true because Dennis does select the best referees for those matches.

However, as a referee I feel it is a smack in the face of all referees that people think a referee would give Irmo a break and call the game for them just because Dennis is on the touchline. (I can hear you thinking; what about all the match fixing in Europe and South America!!! This is high school soccer without large sums of money to be made.) Being a referee, especially in the Midlands (because of the two man system) is a very difficult job without the idea that we, the referee crew, are going to call a game one way or another just because of the teams involved or who is standing on the touchline. I believe that every time a referee steps onto the pitch he/she makes every effort to call a fair, impartial and safe match.

So, grow up, get over it and drive on.

Just my thoughts and rants about the subject of Dennis Cook and his job as the referee assignor for the Midlands.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I, too know Dennis Cook fairly well from becoming certified as a referee and having him call my games in high school and he is clearly, one of, if not THE best referee in SC. The man knows how to control the game.

Sure, there is a bit of conflict of interest there but couldnt it just be Savitz wants the best referees calling his games?

In a related topic... does any team that isnt from columbia, feel like they get the short end of the stick with referees anytime they go to Columbia to play? Just a question.

Brace
Brace
Soccerboy,

Your statements about my character, as you see it, are interesting but lack a certain degree of reliability as they are hidden behind the cloak of anonymity that comes from not having the courage to post using your name. It seems as though you have trouble with both your short-term as well as long-term memory.
Let’s begin with short term. Several coaches from the area were discussing the aforementioned referee situation, a conversation that I did not begin. My comment was in agreement with their position. But, as I explained to them, the matter is dead. Unlike you, I chose to face the person directly involved, face to face, some time ago and tell him. Gentlemen can disagree and still be friends. I doubt if anyone in the press box today would support your accusation about me. They would agree that you were way out of line. You are fortunate that I did not have you removed after your childish outburst. The only other topics discussed were tournament finances, the tactics of both teams, and an analysis of Irmo, who we were scouting. You make it sound like there were cheers of delight for Northwestern. There were NONE. I assure you, anyone in the press box will collaborate that. The only discussions regarding Irmo had to do with how they were attacking Northwestern and the officiating.

In regards to my good friend at Ridge View and your long-term memory, again, unlike you, I chose to discuss the issue with him and don’t recall saying or posting anything that was not true or appropriate, certainly not false and/or malicious. He certainly took no issue. He and I had several subsequent conversations on the subject, discussing this as friends. I can assure you that we are friends, and this was why he sought my advice back then. It is quite easy to make reference, lacking substantiation, to an event that occurred several years ago, but to then suggest that someone else has been false and malicious is asinine.

I admire Coach Savitz and the program at Irmo. But I would not use the word "envy." Life is too short for such pettiness, for me anyway.

You suggest that you attended Irmo, which casts further doubt on your objectivity. May I remind you that pride is also a “deadly sin.”

I assure everyone at Irmo that I have a great deal of respect for their program and that I do not root against them except when they play DF.

If you wish to discuss this further, I suggest we do so face-to-face, not over the internet. Your accusations are false, misleading, unfair, and inflammatory within the community(which is the only reason I am replying) and and should be followed by an apology on your part.

Have a great day,

Wayne

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Let me first ask how I could have been removed after this "childish outburst"? You would have removed me from work, where I was when the game was taking place? What are you talking about? Are you assuming I am someone I am not? Lets hope that Mr. Gray doesn't get on here and see that you called him childish. I don't think he would be too happy about that. You may get to deal with that comment later directly from him.

As for the post that you posted on here about the RV coach back a few years ago...it is your memory that is failing, I remember a scathing page rambling about how he was a disgrace and should appologize to everyone and his mother, and then went on to say a few more things. I am sure that this board has it backed up somewhere, and I know I am not off my rocker. I discussed that post with the RV coach while at his house, and needless to say at the time, he was very dissapointed. You may have reconciled with him since then, but I was not a part of that, and I only know what happened around the time of the post, no more. There was plenty of substantiation posted on here, completely written by you. Don't be mad at me for a post that you did long ago, those were your words, not mine.

I am not able to debate with you face to face due to the fact that it would require a 3 hour plane ride, and I am not up for a discussion that would be futile in effort and outcome. I assure you that my accusations are not false, and not intended to be completely inflamatory as you see them. You will not receive an apology from me for having an opinion. That is how I feel, if you have issues with that, I really don't care. I have learned long ago that you can't please everyone.

And just so you know, I do hope DF has a good season, as I like to see teams in Lex/Rich 5 do well. I root for your team whenever you aren't playing Irmo. I don't think you are a bad person by any means, every thime I have met you you have been a nice guy.

I do wish you to have a great day too

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Soccerboy, if you were not in the press box, then the person that did act childish must have called you or something. The very fact that you know who was in the box tells me that you talked to Mr Gray(?). I don't personally know him, but since you obviously weren't there, you need to keep your opinions about what happened in the box to yourself. As you have said, a 3 hour plane ride away isn't a very good vantage point to watch something occur. He kept on to the point that I went into the announcing booth and shut the door to get away from him. It might be a very good idea if the guys filming the games did it from the area designed for that, then this wouldn't have happened. It might have been a little wet and cold, but the "outburst" would never have happened. I do agree with Wayne, that nobody was cheering for NW except for maybe the players that were in the box. I was enjoying the game and didn't pay them much attention.

I won't respond to you about this anymore since you have made it clear that you are unworthy of having an opinion on something you obviously only heard about and didn't witness.

As for the teams, I believe that both Irmo and NW will both have excellent seasons, and contrary to your belief, I do pull for Irmo and Chapin when they play other people, but definitely not when they play DF. I also hpoe that you have a nice day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, I don't think any reasonable person thinks that Dennis fixes anything, but it is a conflict of interest. And yes I'm grown up,over it , and driven but it is still a conflict of interest.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
By the way, I will apologize to Wayne. It was not he who was talking the trash. It was someone else, and I was misinformed/misunderstood what was told me. But I still do have issues stemming from years ago, but please accept my apology on this matter.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
By the way, this will be my last post.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to all the people involved in this weekends events.
We ( Myrtle Beach) had a great weekend and will be back next year! Special thanks to the Dutch Fork parents for going out of their way to provide food for the teams on Friday night.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Soccerboy -- I have read these posts and find them in stark contrast to the Wayne Quinlan that I have known for more than 10 years now ... Wayne is of the utmost in character and has supported the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association in great manner over the last decade ... He teaches his boys life lessons both on and off the field and has a sincere interest in their general well-being.

Whatever transpired in the press box, I am not privy too, but I know that Wayne has always expressed a true respect for the Irmo program.

In regards to your "ethical" comment about myself in this quote --
quote:
I am also dissapointed that the regulators of this board let this go, back then, knowing that at least one of them is an educator too
-- I consider Kevin Darlington one of my very good friends in the coaching circles and share emails/information with him frequently ... What happened at the state championship game in 2001 was indeed unfortunate, but stuff happens ... I have had public debacles myself and that just goes with the territory in this profession.

How are things in Fond du Lac, WI? Must be cold on the lake this time of the year?

corner kick
corner kick
Thanks to all of those who organized the tournament this past weekend. It has become a great start to the soccer season.
A special thanks to Mack Harvey, Dutch Fork Trainer, for all of his assistance with our team during the Championship Match.
Congrats to the Trojans for their success this weekend. It was another classic battle with Irmo.
Good luck to all teams involved.

Ozzie Ahl

Brace
Brace
Thanks and apology accepted. Lets just move on and talk soccer.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Oh, you have no idea how cold it is! Actually we are in a warm spell and got 5 inches of snow yesterday and it was a balmy 33 degrees. I can't wait for it to get warm again so I can actually get outside. Soccer won't start here for about another month and a half. Of course my son isn't old enough to play, but he can start kicking a ball later this year when he learns how to walk! Good luck this year at BC, looks like you have a promising year ahead of you. Should be a good battle in 3A. It was always fun reffing for you guys, you were an intense coach! Even though I got yelled at here and there...as expected. Just to let everyone know, the soccer up here just isn't quite up to par with the soccer in SC. Close, but not quite. Might have something to do with the snow we get, and the amount of the year you have to stay indoors.

World Cup
World Cup
Well, that was a whole lot of fun everyone! Did T.L. Hanna get to play 2 games or four?

world cup
world cup
Fond du Lac is basketball country....say hello to the Dieners for me.

Congratulations Northwestern....looking forward to the rematch again in the state finals.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RCates - What would you call a clearer vantage point, 3 hours plane ride away or from a laundry room in a hotel in Houston Texas!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to Nick Finotti and the Northwestern Trojans on winning the 2005 Lake Murray Challenge! We appreciate all of the teams coming and making this a great weekend! A special thanks to Wayne Quinlan, Phil Savitz and all of the Chapin, Irmo, and Dutch Fork parents that helped make this a first class tournament!

Here are the results and All-Tournament Team:
Friday Night:
Chapin 2 Ben Lippen 1
Dorman 6 N. Augusta 1
Eastside 1 Dreher 0
Irmo 7 TL Hanna 0
Northwestern 3 Mauldin 2
Myrtle Beach 2 Dutch Fork 1

Saturday:
Dorman 4 Chapin 3 PKs
North Augusta 2 Ben Lippen 1
Northwestern 6 MB 0
Mauldin 3 Dutch Fork 2
Irmo 1 Eastside 0
Dreher 2 TL Hanna 1

CONSOLATION GAMES:

Dutch Fork 5 N. Augusta 1
MB 3 Eastside 1
Ben Lippen 3 TL Hanna 2
Mauldin 3 Dreher 2

SEMI FINALS:
Irmo 5 Chapin 1
Northwestern 4 Dorman 0

Finals:
Northwestern 2 Irmo 1

ALL Tournament Team:
Nathan Arroyo - Northwestern
Danny Cates - Dutch Fork
James Clinton - Northwestern
Taylor Crawford - Northwestern-MVP
Luke Diamaggio - Dorman
Paul Goding - Mauldin
Sani Hadziahmetovic - Irmo
Matthew Harmon - Eastside
Cannon Haynes - TL Hanna
Ryan Kroop - Northwestern
David Lloyd - Myrtle Beach
Daniel Mattox - Chapin
Austin Moody - Irmo
Zach Prince - Irmo
Brett Rice - North Augusta
Talon Stroud - Dorman
Aaron VanDerSchaegen - Dreher
Justin Widener - Chapin
In-Woo Song - Ben Lippen

[ February 21, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

J
world cup
world cup
J
How does Eastside lose to Irmo 0-1 then lose to Myrtle 3-1 (who lost to Northwestern 6-0) ..I know Eastside was missing players..but..was MB also missing players for the DF and NW matches?

Some of the scores just don't make sense when you compare them.. but overall..very interesting results. I wish I could have witnessed some of the matches in person.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Myrtle Beach was missing two starters agains Northwestern who were resting to be able to play against Eastside. They also did not seem to be in the game that morning. Not to take anything away from Northwestern, they had an aswesome squad. When they played Eastside, they had all they're starters back. Also, one of the Eastside players made the dumb decision of slapping a ball that was going in to save a goal. He was thrown out of the game and Eastside played the last 60 minutes of the game with a player down. Myrtle Beach looked very impressive in that match but from my understanding Eastside was missing 3 or 4 starters. Should be a good year in 3A

J
world cup
world cup
J
Yeah, I wasn't trying to take anything from NW (they're win over Irmo speaks volumes for their quality) but 6-0 just didn't seem right.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My apologies to Coach Osorio and Dorman High School...I left off Talon Stroud on the All-tournament team...Great job Talon!! Great goal against us to tie it at 3-3!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how were the performances by both teams in the final? Who stood out and what can we expect from these teams in the season?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard